SASS Wire Forum

Talk about right place at the right time

Subdeacon Joe

Injured hiker helps save officer cut by helicopter blade

REDDING, Calif. (KCRA) -

A hiker who suffered a broken leg helped save the life of a California Highway Patrol officer struck by a helicopter blade, the CHP said Monday.

On Thursday, California Highway Patrol officers Brian Henderson and Tony Stanley were with a team performing a medevac rescue of an injured hiker near Big Bear Lake in the Shasta Trinity Forest.

When the team arrived at the scene to transport the injured hiker to the hospital, Stanley was struck by the main rotor blade of the helicopter, according to a CHP news release.

Henderson immediately rendered first aid on Stanley, and asked for the assistance of the injured hiker, Dr. Jeremy Kilburn.

Kilburn, a U.S. Air Force Critical Care pulmonologist, had suffered a broken leg and injured his ankle.

Amazing all the way around.

Only guy I know who got hit by a main rotor blade didn't survive.

Pretty hard to get hit too.

UB, that's the hiker who had the ankle injury.

Methinks the CHP officer probably sustained injuries to his head or upper body, judging by what was in the accompanying article.

Methinks the CHP officer probably sustained injuries to his head or upper body, judging by what was in the accompanying article.

Yeah I misread it at first.

Yeah I misread it at first. Don't see how you car get hit by a blade unless something went weirdly wrong.

A Blackhawk crew chief got hit in the head by a tail rotor during night ops at Campbell. What normally would have been a tragic mess became a testimonial to the effectiveness of the SPH-4 helmet. The first touch mitigated the blow and knocked the crew chief backwards instead of slicing the cranium and drawing his head in. A second minor hit was noted on the helmet. He survived with a sore neck and returned to duty.

Glad things worked out for the hiker and CHP trooper.

More details. Looks like the bird was on a slope. That would explain it. More than "a cut". Hope he pulls through. Only guy I ever saw hit by a blade didn't.

link

Archived