SASS Wire Forum

Kilts

Subdeacon Joe

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy I love to wear my kilt either for the Scottish regmental border guards of in full tuxado and yes I do go without LOL

Regards ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Howdy I love to wear my kilt either for the Scottish regmental border guards of in full tuxado and yes I do go without LOL

Regards ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

When asked what I wear under my kilt my usual reply is, "Well, my shirt is under it. And when I'm standing there are two shoes, two socks, two garters, and a knife."

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

When asked what I wear under my kilt my usual reply is, "Well, my shirt is under it. And when I'm standing there are two shoes, two socks, two garters, and a knife."

My very good friends grandmother about 92 asked Bear my lad what isworn under a kilt and she said "Lipstick Lad Lipstick"

My very good friends grandmother about 92 asked Bear my lad what isworn under a kilt and she said "Lipstick Lad Lipstick"

I wore my kit and tartan to a fraternity party in college. A brother's girlfriend asked what a Scotsman wore under his kilt and I informed her "Och, a proper lassie wouldna ask.....and a naughty lassie wouldna haffta." Everyone started to laugh and she blushed long and heartily, but what surprised me was twelve years later at a reunion when I walked into a room where she was (now married to my frat brother) and the blushing started all over again.

I've always wanted a kilt, but I look like two popsickle stick legs stuck in a melon body. 'Fraid I'd look kinda silly. <_<

I have tried for years to talk Uno into purchasing a kilt. He keeps telling me he's a TRUE Scot, he's too cheap to buy a kilt......

I would love to own a kilt. I can think of numerous occasions I could wear one. My wife isn't so fond of the idea.

I have tried for years to talk Uno into purchasing a kilt. He keeps telling me he's a TRUE Scot, he's too cheap to buy a kilt......

For So. Cal weather you really don't want a heavy wool kilt. Just get seven to ten yards (some say as little as three yards, but I like about nine, that way it will give me one layer under me and two over me for my bedding) of a 54" to 60" wide wool/poly blend, medium or light weight. Preferably NOT in one of the so-called "family" tartans (Victorian era back formation. There were, sort of, district tartans or plaids, mostly due to the limited dies and only one or two weavers in any one area). And a proper shirt, I'm partial to the Irish liene, and a short waisted jacket with open sleeves. Also need a good belt.

Then: Wear it

(those guys take WAY more room than needed, I can kilt one up and put it on in a 7 x 9 wedge tent).

Another way

Good photos here

He can make his own ghillies - trace around his foot, about an inch and a half out, I put several layers of duct tape onto an old t shirt to give myself something with about the same stiffness as the leather I was going to use. Then punch holes about half an inch apart all along the edge. Take some LONG pieces of leather lacing and fold and lace the thing into a shoe. I did that, sort of a "I have the leather, now, how do I make it into a shoe when I have no clue about the cobblers art?" Turned out that I did it right, made something right out of the 1500s. Even placed in a competition with them. I didn't do the multiple cuts in the toe end As Shown Here but ended up with a very comfortable and serviceable shoe. Get the plain grey rag wool socks from LL Bean. Cut strips about 1 1/2 inch wide from the fabric of the kilt to use for garters. Twice around the leg, knot on the outside, fold the top of the sock down over it.

ADDED: Put a VERY heavy leather piece cut just a bit larger than his foot into each shoe. Otherwise he will feel every sharp pebble in the neighborhood.

No offense to me scottish pards but dresses/skirts whatever, should never be worn by men!! :)

Rye

I like my Utilikilt for working in the garden, relaxing and such. My mid weight, all wool kilt is my all around favorite. It has a nice drape and swing, if you know what I mean. ;)

KILT

BTW, if anyone ever starts gettin' on your case about the "rules" for kilt wearin'. Let 'em know kilts are clothing not costumes or uniforms and you can wear it however you d@#% please!

Whew, sorry, I'm done ranting.

Tell that to these guys.

or go back in time and tell him (well, his prototype).

Yea, yea I get it but they still look ridiculous!! Would I tell him? Dam right I would as long as I had my 2-.44-40's strapped to me waist and carryon me 73 stoked with 14 rounds in it!!! :)

Rye

Archived