SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 97

Piddling with a '97 that had a Lyman choke screwed on with 2 screws holding it secure. It was unscrewed and removed quite easily leaving two small holes on each side of the barrel and I assume open choke (not fired at this point). The barrel measures 20" and the shiny threads show beautifully. As a dumba-- what would I do next? Is this frowned upon as external modification and should I have her cut to 19" or just wrap electrical tape on the threads? Would the two holes be judged as muzzle brakes?

At a monthly match I doubt anybody would object to the holes other than to ask why are they there or what are they for. Just tell them it had one of those old time choke thingys and you took it off. Or wrap electrical tape around the barrel like you mentioned.

It could get tricky at a major match if someone were to complain that somehow this was an illegal mod, then you open up a can of worms. It would be best in that case that the holes weren't there.

If the holes are pretty close to the end of the barrel I would just cut or file off enough metal to remove them and touch up with cold blue. Then nobody can say anything.

The OP said the choke was screwed on so the barrel has threads on its outside surface. So, you can't put in an internal choke to solve the problem. Cutting the barrel just past the threads is the easiest and cleanest way to do the job. Depending on how the Lyman Choke is configured you could cut off the threaded part from the choke and turn it down as much as possible and then screw it back on and use it as a thread protector.

Piddling with a '97 that had a Lyman choke screwed on with 2 screws holding it secure. It was unscrewed and removed quite easily leaving two small holes on each side of the barrel and I assume open choke (not fired at this point). The barrel measures 20" and the shiny threads show beautifully. As a dumba-- what would I do next? Is this frowned upon as external modification and should I have her cut to 19" or just wrap electrical tape on the threads? Would the two holes be judged as muzzle brakes?

I would simply cut the barrel back just enough to clear the threads, making sure the end of the barrel was square, very slightly chamfer the end and call it good. Coat the raw metal with a little cold blue.

Easy to do, and a very quick fix.

RBK

Guest Chief

It sound like you have two threaded holes in the barrel, just put allen screws in the holes but not into the bore use locktite to tighten then cold blue it,

Archived