SASS Wire Forum

Why I want to move to Texas

Jackaroo, # 29989

Talk about gun control???

This is the crap we have to put up with in Australia in our capital state.?? And others are the same???????????

My link :angry:

My lovely cowgirl Kathouse Kelli & I would dearly love to move to Texas, (which we now regard as our second home after our awesome trip some weeks back) but we need someone to sponsor us.......... please. :rolleyes:

She is highly qualified in Safety Control (building sites, dam sites, water & sewerage etc etc. which over here is extremely high; but can do anything

And I, well there seems to be plenty of truck driving jobs being advertised over there, and as I'm semi retired that's fine by me. Maybe we should become Teamsters??

We have enough funds to live permanently there for quite a numbers of years, and really just want to go Cowboy action shooting :wub:

I'd rather do it legally than swim the Rio Grande, although when you look at the jumps & hoops to go through, maybe that's easier??? :lol::lol:

It's a favourable time to move to with the currencies at parity, which makes most things over there cheap for us. Australia is now sooooo expensive I'll have to go back to work to stretch my funds??? :D

Any pointers in the right direction would be gratefully received. :)

Cheers

Jack

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sponsoring..means offering someone employment or the like thereof. You can check out this link of Migration ExpertMy link

There are such a variety of visas???

Many thanks

Jack

I can't offer employment, but, here is the USA, people with high paying jobs are typically very "nomadic" in their careers. I would encourage you to broaden your job search to any American locality (including Alaska / Hawaii) to get established here. That will make it much easier to find you way to Texas as life moves on and you both job hop.

I can't offer employment, but, here is the USA, people with high paying jobs are typically very "nomadic" in their careers. I would encourage you to broaden your job search to any American locality (including Alaska / Hawaii) to get established here. That will make it much easier to find you way to Texas as life moves on and you both job hop.

I too suggest you expand your horizons. Texas is a big state but the opportunities you seek may not be there right now. There are other states with good economies and job opportunities. States with oil fields are doing well. Unemployment is low in North Dakota and Oklahoma right now. I would not choose North Dakota as a CAS location due to harsh winters. However, Oklahoma is very like North Texas in many ways and would be a very good place to work and live. Your wife's credentials would be of value to a state or local government in an area with growth in construction industries. Governments often lose seasoned professionals to local private industry which pays much better. They hire foreign professionals to fill their positions. I frequently encounter South Asians in state government.

Good luck. I met you before at big shoots and would like to see you more often.

I can't help you but man, we sure would love to have you two in Texas. You're a neat couple. With the oilfield business in such a boom you might look at jobs related to them such as truck driving and perhaps safety jobs. I have a friend who is not in the oil field business but does work for OSHA going around the State giving seminars on job site safety that are required for certain companies. Of course eventually those jobs will fall by the wayside but for now they are there. Hope you hop on over here soon.

Hey Jackaroo.......

Come on up/over and visit us in St. George Utah.............Virgil and Allie have a place here - talk to them and see what they are experiencing.......might have some ideas for ya..........

Regards......Wolf

Jackaroo,

First off be sure that you deal with the US Department of State for any information:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1323.html

There are thousands of "official" sounding web sites that are commercial or fraud based enterprises.

The annual allotment of employment visas starts soon, (October 1st), about 140,000 employment-based immigrant visas are made available to qualified applicants.

You have several things going for you, most importantly your spouse is working and could apply based on her skilled, professional or advanced degree credentials.

You are funded for the long term which is a huge plus. That opens the possibility that you could start your own business (however small).

Other avenues that could figure into your planning include being employed by a US company within Australia. You might also be able to leverage the visa waiver program (Australian's qualify) to job hunt or get set up in business

What ever you do, be sure that you are following the guidelines published by State.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1323.html#fourth

The process is long and the waits are longer. One local bit of good news is that five of the fastest growing cities in the US are in Texas!

Good luck!

Olen

Arizona was hit hard by the real estate crash, but that means less expensive homes. We have lots of job possibilities in civil engineering. Year round shooting and home to Winter Range.

Guest Pukin Dog, SASS#55356-Life

I hope someone can sponsor you and your wife as you are the kind of people we need. I wish your link could be sent to everyone who owns a firearm and DOESN'T vote to show them what could happen with another 4 years of the currant occupant of the WH.

Best of luck!!

Hey i own a resturant be glad to sponsor you guys. Then she can find a real job.

I just knew that a CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL would step up to help Jackaroo. Do we have any more CLASSICS that can help?

Ghost

Jack, here in west Texas jobs are plentiful in the oil field. Starting wage is $28.00 + an hour + excellent benefits. For truck driving jobs you'll need a class A commercial drivers license with a hazardous material endorcement. The problem you will have is housing. Houses are selling as fast as they hit the market for the seller's asking price and sometimes more. Apartments are being built at a rapid pace, but many are leased before construction even starts. Right now we have people living in tents, & motel rooms and those are going for $200.00 a day & up. But we do have a cowboy club here. Our gun laws are far more lenient than down under. You and your Mrs should have no problem getting work here. Texas has the lowest unemployment rate in the nation. Those who are out of work don't want to work. Good luck.

Jackaroo,

I know that major oil exploration / transport companies are hiring "CDL-licensed" truck drivers, south of San Antonio for all of the "fracing" operations going on. Companies from all over South Texas are losing their employees (truck drivers) that are going to work down there. They are working in shifts, similar to working off shore, because it is 24hr operations. These are large companies that might "sponsor" workers.

These companies are constantly advertising on all media types for drivers, so they are in immediate demand, and are paying well. Your wife might even find employment with them or in San Antonio.

Good luck!

Sour Lake Slinger

Guest Texas Jack Black

Texas is a great state to live in But jobs are not as easy as you may think The unemployment rate is around 7% and jobs that are available are quickly taken. There are states with much lower rates but you would be welcomed with open arms .

Learn to speak Spanish. Sneak in anyway you can. Once you do you will have more rights than a US citizen. You will get free medical, free food, money for housing, money for spending etc. and you vote for Obama!

Oklahoma is very like North Texas in many ways

noooo Ok is NOT like any part of Texas!!!

Signed.

A Longhorn

:)

According to the Texas Workforce Commission Midland County has a current unemployment rate of 4.2 % with surrounding counties reporting similar rates. I didn't check, but I would imagine many counties in S & SE & E Texas have similar unemployment rates. The 6.9% number is for a statewide average, with some counties where there is no oil having higher numbers. Jobs are plentiful and the only reason someone is unemployed is 1. they don't want to work, 2. they're a student, 3. they are physically unable to work, 4. they can't pass a drug screen, or 5. they can't pass a criminal background check.

In this area even convenience stores and fast food joints are starting peolpe @ $11.00 an hour.

Yeah good riddins to that Jackaroo fella, take him & that Kathouse gal so we don't have to put up with them down under !! [LOL ]

Seriously don't blame 'yas for thinking of a move out of Australia...

We do have to many tiers of government & way over regulated...& yes our gun laws absolutely suck big time.

Have thought of it myself but doesn't get beyond that !!

Life goes on & just have to make the best of it I suppose.

Best of luck & hope it works out for you.

I could be wrong re sponsorship but have read it's a tangled web for both parties.

Regards 'Painted Mohawk

Texas is a great state to live in But jobs are not as easy as you may think The unemployment rate is around 7% and jobs that are available are quickly taken. There are states with much lower rates but you would be welcomed with open arms .

Once again you don't have a clue what ye are talkin' about. You need to stick to fishing. Around here guys are making a thousand or more a day in the oil patch. No motel rooms available and you pay up to 300 a night for a flea bag room. Some have to drive over a hundred miles one way to find a room. If I were a young man and not so stove up and irrevocably un-employable disabled/retired I would sure nuff be right out there with 'em gittin' it while the gittin' is good.

Texas is boomin' right now. Y'all come.

Hey Pards thanks for the many replies. :)

You have certainly given me some ideas and some inspiration to get a move on with this.

Thanks to Olen for the link to the State site, it is very informative, and shall follow their leads.

Waiting for Virg & Allie to return back to Oz Wolf, and will be talking to them at the next shoot in Queensland early next month. Will probably have a week with them at their place too helping to get things organised for our Nationals in Sept.

Keep 'em coming guys more the better, cause I just gotta get outta this place,...if it's the last thing I ever do!!! :P

Come on down Jackaroo!
Errr.... come on up!

If'n you wanna drive, and wanna bit of stick time, to get the feel of havin' left hand drive... I have a KW you can practice in... couldn't possibly hurt any more than I've done in the past 2 million miles!

Your Aussie equivalent to our CDL should be sufficient to get ya hired on and in a paying job. I know my US CDL gets me an equivalent license in NZ or OZ. Should work the other way. I have a couple of friends workin' in the oil patch as drivers, I'll see if I can get you some contact info. AFAIK, they're workin in the central TX area.

Yeeeee haaaawww.... come on up, Jackaroo. Not so much you, but the only way to get Kelli would be the package I expect.

My company makes clothing from a special weave of wool with carbon wrapped kevlar so it would be perfect as I may need someone who knows the back end of a sheep like an Aussie. :lol: Immigration couldn't even argue against that one. ;) Plus, all scoured raw wool product these days comes from either AU or NZ so maybe you could translate. :D

Guest Texas Jack Black

Once again you don't have a clue what ye are talkin' about. You need to stick to fishing. Around here guys are making a thousand or more a day in the oil patch. No motel rooms available and you pay up to 300 a night for a flea bag room. Some have to drive over a hundred miles one way to find a room. If I were a young man and not so stove up and irrevocably un-employable disabled/retired I would sure nuff be right out there with 'em gittin' it while the gittin' is good.

Texas is boomin' right now. Y'all come.

READ, and learn Texas has a 7% unemployment rate it is in the top ten most violent states and most of its cities rank among the most illiterate in the country. So I will go fish and you can go back to school. ;)

READ, and learn Texas has a 7% unemployment rate it is in the top ten most violent states and most of its cities rank among the most illiterate in the country. So I will go fish and you can go back to school. ;)

Ah yes, Texas Jack Black...professional loser.

Why not remove yer first name on yer alias and just insert dumba$$ Jack Black.

Cheers...ya loser.

:FlagAm:

PS: Don't take any of this personal...not a personal attack...

:mellow:

Errr.... come on up!

If'n you wanna drive, and wanna bit of stick time, to get the feel of havin' left hand drive... I have a KW you can practice in... couldn't possibly hurt any more than I've done in the past 2 million miles!

Your Aussie equivalent to our CDL should be sufficient to get ya hired on and in a paying job. I know my US CDL gets me an equivalent license in NZ or OZ. Should work the other way. I have a couple of friends workin' in the oil patch as drivers, I'll see if I can get you some contact info. AFAIK, they're workin in the central TX area.

Yea well I have an Aussie truck driving license already, I presume CDL means Commercial Drivers License! But it's only for rigids not semis.

I also have my own incorporated company, so maybe I can open a subsidurary over there??

Yeeeee haaaawww.... come on up, Jackaroo. Not so much you, but the only way to get Kelli would be the package I expect.

My company makes clothing from a special weave of wool with carbon wrapped kevlar so it would be perfect as I may need someone who knows the back end of a sheep like an Aussie. :lol: Immigration couldn't even argue against that one. ;) Plus, all scoured raw wool product these days comes from either AU or NZ so maybe you could translate. :D

It's mostly the Kiwis from across the ditch that know the back end of a sheep pretty much???? :lol::lol::lol:

Don't forget Texas is not the only place with good gun laws and wide open spaces. ;)

just some thing out of the box worth looking at is what if your job changes in the USA know of guys from the UK working out here say on a dairy farm have a fall out with the sponser and there visa is removed .. seem to recall guy and his girlfriend were out here working on on a dairy farm other for contractor guy in the dairy farm lost his job and had to leave NZ even tho his girlfriend had full time work etc

had to head back to the UK to get a new visa etc

Brother king as a sheep farmer i would love to talk to you have about 4000 woolys running around here not that i'm planing to more to USA

any hows hope something works out for you Jackaroo ...

Don't forget Texas is not the only place with good gun laws and wide open spaces. ;)

Hi Bob, yea I know, anywhere from Utah down and the four corners region, which we have toured a lot would be OK. :)

Archived