SASS Wire Forum

Tack Art

Flat Water Bob

When you apply brass tacks for art on gun stocks, do you pre-drill holes and do you clip the stem so that it doesn't penetrate the wood so deeply?

When you apply brass tacks for art on gun stocks, do you pre-drill holes and do you clip the stem so that it doesn't penetrate the wood so deeply?

YES.

I use an awl (actually a steel/brass dart tip) to 'pre-punch' the holes in the stock through a paper template.

Clipping the shank in half with a side-cutter creates a "chisel" point that holds better without having to dip the stem in glue. (fore-end tacks may have to be clipped shorter)

Bob --- I used created a pattern with a computer drawing program. Printed out the pattern an used spray adhesive to stick it to the stock. Drilled the holes with a fine drill (tape used a a depth guide) as Andrew suggested. Clipped the brass escutcheon nails as PaleWolf suggested. I am pleased with the result. Be sure to use solid brass nails. The plated nails will wear and leave you unhappy.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/wildemuthstevenl/Cowboy%20Stuff/IMG_3243.jpg

Chancy

I did! I just Can't remember who to !!!

It was me. I bought another one with a 24" barrel for Long Range side matches and as a backup. I did the stock and forearm just like the other one so they match. (I get lots of comments about them). My brother says it's an arrow to show me which end goes toward the targets. HA HA HA

P.S. Just to let you know yours has a good home and is used regularly. I have done a few things to it. (Pioneer super short stroke kit, Pioneer coil-spring conversion, alumimum carrier, Pioneer action springs,(replacing Slix-Springs) stainless tube spring and custom made brass mag tube cap.

Slim

Tacked Cigar Box Guitars

Following some of these same suggestions from a few months back, I did the two designs on the CBG's that are pictured above.

Still have not come up with a design for my Mares Leg, but I'm getting close.

All the input I received when I made my inquiry was very helpful - thanks.

Tull

Archived