SASS Wire Forum

Andy Griffith Has Passed

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/SHERIFF__EMS_Called_To_Andy_Griffiths_Home_161201175.html

Former UNC President Bill Friday says Andy Griffith died this morning in Dare County. Friday, who is a close friend of the actor, confirmed that to WITN News.

Friday tells us the 86-year-old actor died at his Dare County home around 7:00 a.m. this morning.

Griffith attended UNC Chapel Hill where he earned a degree in Music. According to IMDb.com, Griffith was a regular on the Ed Sullivan show in the 1950's.

His legacy role, which earned him the title of "America's Favorite Sheriff"on "The Andy Griffith" show, set in fictional Mayberry, put North Carolina on the map in the entertainment industry. The show ran from 1960-1968, propelling a handful of spin-off programs. Griffith also produced and starred in the television series "Matlock."

Griffith received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005 from President George W. Bush.

A great voice, a pretty darned good actor, and a good man has passed.

Ave atque vale, Andreas.

ADDED:

I guess he gets to spend time at the fishin' hole now.

RIP Andy.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/SHERIFF__EMS_Called_To_Andy_Griffiths_Home_161201175.html

A great voice, a pretty darned good actor, and a good man has passed.

Ave atque vale, Andreas.

So sorry to hear it. I've heard Ron Howard state that the reason he didn't become another train wreck of a child actor was because of the mentor-ship of Andy. That says a lot for the man, right there.

Sorry I did not see your post before I posted mine .

RIP Andy .

Prayers Up !

Sorry I did not see your post before I posted mine .

RIP Andy .

Prayers Up !

No sweat! I posted a reply on your thread. Given the stature of the man, I don't think two thread on him is excessive. A generation grew up learning American values from Sheriff Andy.

He was, in many ways, America's sheriff.

Very true. Rest in peace Andy. Thanks for the warm memories.

So sorry to hear it. I've heard Ron Howard state that the reason he didn't become another train wreck of a child actor was because of the mentor-ship of Andy. That says a lot for the man, right there.

Amen and +1

BSD

He was, in many ways, America's sheriff.

Well said.

A whole bunch of us grew up with Andy and his "homespun wisdom." Miss 'im already.

On the lighter side, I still smile at the memory of my guffaws the first time I saw "No Time for Sergeants" at about age nine... and from that day 'til the present still pretend to spit into malfunctioning electronic gizmos. Of course NObody gets it... ^_^

RIP, Andy.

Best man I'd ever known !

Amen + 2

Archived