SASS Wire Forum

Texas State Championship 2013-Plum Creek

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, if you need an unbiased judge for the cook off you might be able to twist my arm! See you in the morning!

Big Iron you are on the program. Thanks for stepping up to the plate.

This is great news. I have been looking for an excuse to get back to Agarita Ranch since the 2010 Grand Army of the Frontier Grand Muster there. This looks like as good a reason as any. I'll start trying to line all my ducks up into a row so I can get there.

One thing I hope you all do. Have been to some other State Championships that do it.

For awards. Not only have 1st-3rd in category.

But have another award for the State Champion.

Being most state matches get a lot of out of state

shooters. And many of them end up winning a category.

I found it really nice at the ones that had a award for the

State Champion. Even if they was 2nd or 3rd. They are still

the State Champ.

Thought it was a good thing at the ones that I have been to that did that.

Just a thought.

Al, they did that at Cleburne and it was a nice touch. Btw, just finished shooting 5 Phantom written stages at Plum Creek and they were a blast!

No. They didnt. Or if they did my wife sure missed out.

She was 2nd behind L Lady. But was the Texas Champion.

Got the 2nd place award. I think they did give a quick

mention. But no award. Which was fine. I have no problem with that.

Just think having a award to go with it, is a nice thing to do. And really

liked it when I have seen it done at other places.

Not talking about overall. But each category.

Like in Kansas State last year and LA State this year. I got lucky and won

Duelist in category. But the 2nd or 3rd place in category won the State Champion

award. Which was nicer than the 1st in category was. :rolleyes:

Thought it was good to see.

Looking forward to shooting Phantom's stages.

Duelist in category. But the 2nd or 3rd place in category won the State Champion

Got it. We are still working on awards and we will take this into consideration. I even think our SASS agreement says something along this line, although I am not sure it extends to every category. I want to encourage folks from out of state to come down and try out our range and facilities (did I mention we have flush toilets?) and recognize them when they do well, but since this is the Texas State match we want to make sure we recognize the Texas State Champion in every category-- even if it is only a verbal mention at the awards ceremony and as part of the write-up of the match for the Chronicle. We will research this a little more and cogitate on the concept. Thanks for pointing it out.

This is great news. I have been looking for an excuse to get back to Agarita Ranch since the 2010 Grand Army of the Frontier Grand Muster there. This looks like as good a reason as any. I'll start trying to line all my ducks up into a row so I can get there.

Bowview:

We will look forward to seeing you. If you are coming from southern Arizona to Austin and don't want to do it all in one day (it is about 860 miles), then I recommend you stop in Fort Stockton on your way here at the end of your first day. If you have an RV they have a great RV park just East of Fort Stockton called the Fort Stockton RV park. It has a little restaurant at the park so you don't even have to go into town. If you are just driving, there are several motels in Fort Stockton, including many of the popular chains. Fort Stockton is about 367 miles from Lockhart, an easy days drive.

No, I don't get a commission from the Fort Stockton Chamber of Commerce, we just go to Phoenix for Winter Range and to Park City, Utah for winter sports so we spend a lot of time going through Fort Stockton.

Best of all, we will see you at Agarita Ranch. I think you will be pleased you made the trip.

Yep MO. did the same. I won first in Frontiersman in 2010 but was not the state champ or receive the state champ award. 2nd place guy from MO. did.

Seems the way to do it.

Wyandot

Sounds great - congrats. A poker game is always a nice touch. I know Phantom can play a little poker. I have my hotel reservations - shoot registration will soon follow.

Poker? Hmmm.... We will be looking for your registration.

DHD, filled out app with posse request, inserted check for Lady Ghost and me, to include RV hook-up, and will mail Tuesday a.m.

Looking for 2013 to be a good year for CLASSIC COWBOYS AND COWGIRLS!

Ghost :FlagAm:

Sue Chef Rocky reporting for duty sir!! :lol:

Phantom darlin, DHD my sweet, I just CAN'T wait!! This shoot is going to ROCK!!!

Sue chef? We'll take it. As soon as we get the Cowboy Cookoff figured out we will let you know. That makes two participants; we want a lot more.

DHD, filled out app with posse request, inserted check for Lady Ghost and me, to include RV hook-up, and will mail Tuesday a.m.

Looking for 2013 to be a good year for CLASSIC COWBOYS AND COWGIRLS!

Ghost :FlagAm:

All Right!!! Good to have the Ghosts at State. We need to get more Classic Cowboys and Cowgirls signed up. We want a good showing.

All Right!!! Good to have the Ghosts at State. We need to get more Classic Cowboys and Cowgirls signed up. We want a good showing.

Just started shooting CC and plan to keep it up. I will be shooting Classic at state, hopefully a little better than I am now. You can blame Ghost

Just started shooting CC and plan to keep it up. I will be shooting Classic at state, hopefully a little better than I am now. You can blame Ghost

DHD, The Frio Kid is a man of word and a CLASSIC COWBOY. We welcome him into the "Single Barrel" society. Just a word Kid, DO NOT tell Jack Houston the secect pass word and hand shake of the CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL SHOOTIST. Good luck shooting CLASSIC. Remeber, SMOOTH IS FAST.

Ghost

Hey Ghost, missed you at the EOT Classic Cowboy dinner. They were kind enough to welcome a B Western and Range Boss shooter (Ed Sieker) at the shindig. Brother King did his best to represent the CCs. He did a great job! I will see you at State 2013!

Hey Ghost, missed you at the EOT Classic Cowboy dinner. They were kind enough to welcome a B Western and Range Boss shooter (Ed Sieker) at the shindig. Brother King did his best to represent the CCs. He did a great job! I will see you at State 2013!

Thanks Big Iron. Everyone is always welcome at a CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL dinner get-to-gather. Brother King, Dragon Hill Dave, and Garrison Joe are all great CLASSIC COWBOYS. It's a little early yet to be planning a CLASSIC DINNER at Texas State, but we will have one, so see ya there!

Ghost

I just hope it doesn't sell out before I can afford to send in an entry! :D I put it on my vacation schedule for next year!

I just hope it doesn't sell out before I can afford to send in an entry! :D I put it on my vacation schedule for next year!

We will keep you posted on entries. But start saving those pennies cause we sure want to see you.

DHD, can you point me to a website that shows the Cody Dixon rules that your club shoots under? I have seen several itterations posted and want to be sure that I am legal if I decide to shoot this.

DHD, can you point me to a website that shows the Cody Dixon rules that your club shoots under? I have seen several itterations posted and want to be sure that I am legal if I decide to shoot this.

Let me consult with my Cody Dixon experts and I will get back to you. I know typically they shoot 6 rifle shots at 2-3 targets at much longer distances, but shoot the pistol and shotgun like the rest of us. But I want to be sure how we do it, particularly how the rifle is loaded.

Let me consult with my Cody Dixon experts and I will get back to you. I know typically they shoot 6 rifle shots at 2-3 targets at much longer distances, but shoot the pistol and shotgun like the rest of us. But I want to be sure how we do it, particularly how the rifle is loaded.

Thanks!

Also what pistols are allowed and how they may be shot. Fixed/adjustable sights, one hand, two hand, gunfighter?

What type shotgun, any and all?

Special leather requirements?

Smokeless or BP?

Special dress requirements?

I know this is a lot of questions, but one place I found rules seemed to indicate dressing along the lines of CC. Just want to be sure that I don't ruffle any feathers if I chose to dominate that category. :P

Thanks!

Also what pistols are allowed and how they may be shot. Fixed/adjustable sights, one hand, two hand, gunfighter?

What type shotgun, any and all?

Special leather requirements?

Smokeless or BP?

Special dress requirements?

I know this is a lot of questions, but one place I found rules seemed to indicate dressing along the lines of CC. Just want to be sure that I don't ruffle any feathers if I chose to dominate that category. :P

So many questions! And cocky too!

We are working on formal rules and regs and will post them on the website pccss.org well in advance of the shoot. We have some central Texas Cody Dixon shooters who think they are pretty good, so bring it on!

I wannabe on Phantom's posse!

Oklahoma Dee

You would have to come early. Phantom will have shot thru before the match and will be running around answering questions and resolving issues during the match. But you will see him a lot.

Done. Check the website at pccss.org under "Downloads" for the rules. WE are continuing to look at them, so check back a little closer to the State match to check for any changes.

Archived