SASS Wire Forum

On Decorations for Independence Day

Subdeacon Joe

My wife and I were driving around a bit this morning and saw a house, one that usually gets all decked out for whatever holiday is coming up, and noted that there was bunting on the picket fence along with little flags on the posts, and the porch too was decorated with bunting and bows and little flags ... and an American Flag draped vertically on the porch railing. We both started to grumble that the canton was in the viewers upper right ... it was hung backwards. Then I laughed at our reaction and said, "Hey, at least the flag is out there!"

So, when we see that someone has made the effort, hows about we honor that effort and not get too upset about the "proper" etiquette. I'd rather see someone make the good faith attempt rather than not see Old Glory at all.

My farthing on the subject.

Exactly, Gunner. I'm betting that the person hung the flag while standing on the porch and thought "OK, the blue goes in the upper left as I'm looking at it" and hung it that way. Which makes it backwards when looked at from the street.

My wife and I were driving around a bit this morning and saw a house, one that usually gets all decked out for whatever holiday is coming up, and noted that there was bunting on the picket fence along with little flags on the posts, and the porch too was decorated with bunting and bows and little flags ... and an American Flag draped vertically on the porch railing. We both started to grumble that the canton was in the viewers upper right ... it was hung backwards. Then I laughed at our reaction and said, "Hey, at least the flag is out there!"

I think this also applies:

"The flag should not be used as "wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery", or for covering a speaker's desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general (exception for coffins)."

The remedy is obvious and simple: get in conact with the local home-owners' association. They will be barred from displaying the flag at all. :ph34r:

EDIT I actually agree with you, in that there likely was no intention to be disrespectful. Besides, whaddaya gonna do? Ain't no provision for penalties.

I do wish people would not display worn/tattered/faded flags <_< If I ever become independently wealthy, I intend to keep a half-dozen or so new flags in my trunk for those occasions.

No HOA involved. Little white stand alone house, likely built in the '30s. And it is obvious that the flag is being displayed, even if not on a staff, rather than being used as "decoration" in the meaning of the Flag Code.

No HOA involved. Little white stand alone house, likely built in the '30s. And it is obvious that the flag is being displayed, even if not on a staff, rather than being used as "decoration" in the meaning of the Flag Code.

My opinion was based upon your phrasing that it was "draped over the rail" implying it was not "hung".

I actually agree with you, in that there likely was no intention to be disrespectful. Besides, whaddaya gonna do? Ain't no provision for penalties.

I do wish people would not display worn/tattered/faded flags If I ever become independently wealthy, I intend to keep a half-dozen or so new flags in my trunk for those occasions.

Meeybe that small pamphlet on Flag Etiquette from the American Legion(?) could find its way into their mailbox...

They sound like good people who might benefit from some gentle guidance.

And include some of those small flags on dowels that the American Legion provides. :)

Meeybe that small pamphlet on Flag Etiquette from the American Legion(?) could find its way into their mailbox...

They're sound like good people who might benefit from some gentle guidance.

And include some of those small flags on dowels that the American Legion provides. :)

We just bought a new 3 x 5 Annan made flag. It came with a flag code pamphlet :)

GG

My opinion was based upon your phrasing that it was "draped over the rail" implying it was not "hung".

I actually agree with you, in that there likely was no intention to be disrespectful. Besides, whaddaya gonna do? Ain't no provision for penalties.

I do wish people would not display worn/tattered/faded flags If I ever become independently wealthy, I intend to keep a half-dozen or so new flags in my trunk for those occasions.

Looking back, yeah, my phrasing was bad.

Back when the DAV and other such groups could "give" you flags for a "donation" we would buy a few a year and I usually ended up giving them to people who were flying tattered or faded flags.

They sound like good people who might benefit from some gentle guidance.

It's either an elderly couple or an elderly widowed lady. Not gonna rock the boat in either case. I think it's better than the flags that are on the fixtures you roll up your car window on, and the blasted thing snaps off when you go over 50 mph. With our national holiday approaching I'm seeing more of those, often along side of the road :angry: And the idjits flying a 5 x 8 on a post in the bed of a pick up. They get filthy and tattered in nothing flat. Not to mention that when they stop the flag is all over the dirty bed of the truck.

We just bought a new 3 x 5 Annan made flag. It came with a flag code pamphlet :)

GG

Annin flags are the highest quality and made in the USA. We will settle for nothing less here. :):FlagAm:

Archived