SASS Wire Forum

HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL

Carlos Murphy # 873

We get Have Gun Will Travel on the Western Channel here every day and I have just recently noticed that not only some of the episodes were directed by Richard Boon but many of them were written by Gene Roddenberry... :)

Howdy Carlos,

You are correct, sir! Also, a number of episodes were directed by Ida Lupino. There may be other known writers but I can't recall them. It's like the show was kind of a proving ground for all kinds of talent. Any number of later famous actors appeared on various episodes.

Reverend Chase

My all-time favorite TV western!

Good writing for a 30 minute spot - good themes in a western setting, acting, and scenery. I even enjoy the black and white aspect.

I appreciate it more today as an adult, especially given the time frame it was done in.

To be honest, I never noticed either names in the credits. As a actor I have to give Richard Boone top marks ... loved him in Big Jake.

As for Gene Roddenberry, I once heard John Ford say that there were only six really original movie plots and five of them were westerns. Seems Gene managed to use all of them in outer space.

DITTO,

We also get 1 episode of GUNSMOKE AND 2 OF MARSHAL DILLON every day, Dillon is a little more mellow in the Gunsmoke shows.

It's not really surprising that Roddenberry was one of the writers. He loved westerns, and many of the "Star Trek" plots are based on one or another western theme. When he originated the idea for the series "Star Trek," he pitched it to NBC as a "Wagon Train to the stars."

Totally Agree. not only a thinking mans western but it was created by and worked on many people that were in TV's second golden age, Have watched damm near every episode and I'm still struck with the depth and breath of the storys.

Too bad the shows were shot in black and white, I sure would like to have seen what those elaborate Carlton Hotel sets and clothing looked like.

Yep Most however will filmed on sound stages here in LA With the exteriors filmed at local sites. Red Rpck Canyon, Newhall, The Paramount Ranch etc., I think they even filmed some epsiodes up North around the Lone Pine area. As stated, a GREAT cowboy series. I even bought a TOTALLY replica holster for my Colt .45 from the original local manufactuerer who still has the holster patterns. I'm nuts!

Archived