SASS Wire Forum

1897 Dreamin' - Pics Added

I don't see alot of decent 1897 Winchesters in shops hereabouts; I've never owned or shot one.

Ran across one yesterday; the owner is holding it for a day while I ponder it.

1904 production. Clean, solid buttstock. Hairline crack (but tight) in forestock. Bright bore. No surface pits. Blue is 90% gone, but no rust. Cycles easily. Feels tight.

Didn't measure the barrel, but I'd guess 28" or so. Looks like it has not been cut. No other signs of "modifications".

Shop is asking $450.

I can feel someone calling me when I pick this gun up...it fits so sweet.

What else should I be looking at?

Is the price fair?

Much appreciated.

LL

Duffield... Ya gotta admire the way the man thinks. ^_^

And congratulations on your new toy, LL~! ;)

ya I got me one from hud a year or so back...paid $299 for it. Told me if it didn't work out I could sell it for a parts gun. I got me some dummy rounds and been practicin but still like my Liberty.

but I do have an original 97

curley

Another thing to look at is the extractors. Just open the action and stick your finger in the ejection port and feel them. See if they are sharp or worn. you might find this URL useful as well:

http://www.vintagegunleather.com/gun-manuals/pdf_W/winchester_97takedown.pdf

You can figure out the takedown procedure for the solid frame pretty easily by following these instructions. The only difference is that you don't remove the barrel from the receiver.

Is it a solid frame or a take-down? Can you put up some pics?

Jake

Solid frame, Jake...26" barrel; double checked the serial number - it's actually 1902 production. I'll give pics a shot.

LL

PS - Here's some pics:

http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/Franco6666/Cowboy%20Iron/

LL

Solid frame, Jake...26" barrel; double checked the serial number - it's actually 1902 production. I'll give pics a shot.

LL

PS - Here's some pics:

http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/Franco6666/Cowboy%20Iron/

LL

That a good 'ol "C" model. If it's never been cut and has a 26 inch barrel, it should be a cyl bore. Mod has 28 inch and Full has 30 and 32 inch. I have 2 1897's made in 1904. One solid frame w/30 inch and a take-down with a 32 inch. 32's were special order from Winchester. My Win. '97 made in 1913 has a two barrel set. 26 inch cyl bore and a 30 inch full. Both serial numbered to the gun. 3 more made in 1923, 1924, 1925.

Jake

Loophole, you can find 1897's for less than $400 but not ones that look as nice as the one that you bought.

Invest in a couple of ejectors (about $2 each), check the extractors and shoot the dickens out of it.

I do not think that the Model 12 (870 or Ithaca 37 or BPS) were an improvement on JMB's 1897 desing and Winchester's workmanship.

I have started collecting original Winchesters. My current 97 is a 1907 takedown with a 30" full barrel and a 22" 12/97 barrel. One of my goal guns is a Black Diamond version of the 1897, the premier offering in this model.

You do have to watch the forearm on the "C" models, they are notorious for splitting around an through the screw holes. Also Lock-Tite those three screws when you get a chance. I love the stock design on the early 97's, later ones just did not work right. You can take the barrell down to 22" or 20" it will not have any bearing on the value, you can even put choke tubes to increase accuarracy and that will add to the value. You did good getting the solid frame, good choice/. If you lived closer, I would do it all for you.

You do have to watch the forearm on the "C" models, they are notorious for splitting around an through the screw holes. Also Lock-Tite those three screws when you get a chance. I love the stock design on the early 97's, later ones just did not work right. You can take the barrell down to 22" or 20" it will not have any bearing on the value, you can even put choke tubes to inctrease accuarracy and that will add to the value. You did good getting the solid frame, good chpoice/. If you livrd closer, I would do it all for you.

Klondike...my best buddy lives in Metarie....maybe it's time for a trip South for some Jambalaya from Mother's and a Po-boy or two.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LL

I'd say that it was a good price, IMHO....

Klondike...my best buddy lives in Metarie....maybe it's time for a trip South for some Jambalaya from Mother's and a Po-boy or two.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LL

LL,

Mother's makes some of the best po-boy's around, their roast beef with extra gravy is nasty (sloppy, runs all the way to your elbows) but Great!

Archived