SASS Wire Forum

Colorado Springs, Colorado , USA is burning! Seriously.

Starting at about 16:30 local time, 65 MPH winds from a wind storm part of a thunderstorm swept a leg of the Waldo Canyon fire into the western neighborhood of Colorado Springs.

At this time there have been at least 35 houses burned.

Flying W ranch has been destroyed.

The US AF Academy has been evacuated.

CS from Garden of the Gods north to and including USAFAcademy and west of I-25 have been evacuated.

What a disaster !

Call from CSFD has called for 50 more engines.

Many are on the way.

We've got friends in the CS area too. Prayers up for everyone in Colorado. We here in So Cal understand the horror you are going through right now.

Sounds to me like it's right between where we were going to move and where I was going to go to work.

Beautiful area.....

......It's sad to think about the place I wanted to be burning. :(

My prayers are with all those that have suffered loss and are in harm's way.

In a way I'm glad I hadn't yet moved my family there, and in a way I wish I was there to offer what ever help I could.

~EE Taft~

Miz Grizz is down there tonight and said she could see flames from quite a ways away and the smoke was so thick it looked like dusk at 5 PM. It rattled her. God be with those fighting the fires, give them safety and success.

Earlier this evening I could see fire. And some hellish glow to the south.

Now I live in Monument and this area Mountain View is between 12 and say 15 miles away.

A few minutes ago, I could no longer see fire. And that hellish glow is much dimmer.

Now I cannot tell whether the smoke is present to interfere with the glow.

Local weather is forecasting possibility of thunderstorms for Wednesday.

I hope and pray that it will come a big rain for y'all.

But as it seems, the usual thunderstorms in that area are more or less pop ups. Let's hope for enough to quench the fires down to manageable size at least!

~EE Taft~

We had a little sprinkle here in Lakewood last night, but even if it had gone farther south it wouldn't have helped. That little bit of rain would have dried out long before hitting the fire, we need something along the lines of the amount that Florida is getting, just maybe in not such a dramatic fashion. The main problem with the weather right now is we're not getting any moisture, just the lightning, which is what's starting some of the fires, and the wind which is making them worse :angry:

I'm just sick, it hurts so bad knowing that this is happening to my state, and to it's people, even people I personally know! I've spent a lot of time down in the Springs, I'm familiar with the area in the fire zone and my heart aches for all those people. And to start evacuating part of the AFA, that's just insane!! And I thought it was bad when they evacuated 11,000 people in Manitou and that area, 32,000 is almost impossible to contemplate. And who knows how far into the city this one will go, and whether or not the Flagstaff one will reach Boulder. I'm starting to get nervous, the foothills right west of Denver are as bone dry as the rest of the state, one good lightning strike and we could have the same thing happen here. I've even starting thinking about that we own that is the most important and irreplacable, just in case....maybe I really need to turn off the tv, radio, and internet for a while :angry:

Calico Mary,

I would like to thank you for keeping us all posted on the fires. I can only imagine how hard it is to watch this unfold.I can tell you have a love for your state and your friends and neighbors. Keep your head up as I don't think anything could destroy such a beautiful place to the point that it won't return to it's natural beauty.

Things are things....and they can be replaced. lives on the other hand are much more fragile.

Keep your head up and stay safe. With fires will come new life and a natural return to order. Everything else can be replaced.

If you or anyone needs anything speak up. I know I will do whatever I can to help out.

~EE Taft~

Yes, Colorado is definitely HOME, and always will be. There are some people here that I'd love to send back to where they came from, but if you and Mrs. Taft and the little ones ever do get the chance to move here you will be more than welcome :)

I know we will recover, but it will take years before all the damage from this summer will get cleaned up. I know buildings and posessions are just things, and can be replaced, but the worse it gets the greater the chance becomes of losing lives. So far this year we've had 4 fire related deaths, and it may only be a matter of time before that number goes up. I pray not, but it is a dangerous situation. I still get a lump in my throat every time we have to drive by Glenwood Springs (which happens a lot), we lost 14 smoke jumpers there almost 20 years ago.

Thanks EE and everyone else for your concern!

Yes, Colorado is definitely HOME, and always will be. There are some people here that I'd love to send back to where they came from, but if you and Mrs. Taft and the little ones ever do get the chance to move here you will be more than welcome :)

I know we will recover, but it will take years before all the damage from this summer will get cleaned up. I know buildings and posessions are just things, and can be replaced, but the worse it gets the greater the chance becomes of losing lives. So far this year we've had 4 fire related deaths, and it may only be a matter of time before that number goes up. I pray not, but it is a dangerous situation. I still get a lump in my throat every time we have to drive by Glenwood Springs (which happens a lot), we lost 14 smoke jumpers there almost 20 years ago.

Thanks EE and everyone else for your concern!

I just love a place where I feel welcome. :blush:

You are all in my thoughts and prayers. As is everyone in the area and the firefighters risking their lives just doing their jobs.

I sent you a reply PM. let me know your thoughts. Sorry for the ramble.....I've been up working on leather most of the night and following what news I could find about the fires.

~EE~

I spoke with my 92 year old Aunt, last night. She lives south of the Springs and is doing ok. Lots of people are not so lucky. I had and Aunt and Uncle that lived in the Springs. They have since passed away, but I recall with fondness our visits to them. In fact I spent my 60th birthday with them. God rest their souls. They had a nice home not too far from Garden of the Gods. I am sadden to think of that beautiful area being ravaged by wildfire.

And here I sit in sodden greenery wishing someway I could help. I guess all I have to offer is my prayers and good thoughts.

The fire officials just gave gave a press conference. A lot of talk of team.

Waldo Canyon fire has grown from some 5 thousand acres burned to over 15 thousand acres from Tuesday's explosive growth.

32,500 have been evacuated.

So far no damage to USAF Academy structures.

They have not and appear not to be willing to reveal how many houses have burned.

I-24 corridor appears to have held. I-24 is expected to remain closed from CS west for the forseeable future.

This may make it difficult for the next Colorado Cowboy match.

Expecting more wind today. Thunderstorms are expected. The gusts out of one yesterday caused that explosive growth.

Douglas County issued a warning...... Details not clear yet.

My observations;

At about 6:30 this morning(Wednesday) or so I looked south to the city.

Wind was blowing west to east. Fires are still burning. Smoke is blowing to the east.

One of the tv stations from denver had a chopper over the area this morning. There appear to be many homes intact.

Some neighborhoods appear completely intact. That appears to be perigrine which is north of Mountain Shadows.

But it appears that houses in Mountain Shadows have burned.

(This is the most western CS neighborhood near Flying W Ranch.)

Several houses in the Flying W Ranch area and the ranch have burned.

There is another press conference slated for 4pm (1600).

Denver's Channel 9 does frequent updates.

link

Got some folks in Boulder. How they doing up there?

Got some folks in Boulder. How they doing up there?

Noz, my mom is in the pre evac zone, and she's still at home and hasn't gotten any word she needs to go. The smoke isn't nearly as bad as it was yesterday.

The Boulder Daily Camera is a decent place to get info. It looks like zero containment and fears about the winds coming up.

Miz Grizz was at her mom's in Colorado Springs last night, but being just blocks from the mandatory evac zone she's heading back north today.

I've got a couple of close friends the other side of the interstate... ...over in Black Forest...

...He just got home from the hospital-had 5 bypasses done...

Watchin' and Prayin'.

Y'all stay safe out there.

~EE~

I live in Monument, and we were put on pre-evacuation.

Pre evacuation initiated because a thunderstorm front was coming through.

It was the outflow of winds from yesterdays thunderstorm (that was largely dry) that caused the fire to spread.

It just rained here for a half a minute. No where near enough.

But it isn't here that counts.

Prayers up.

Flying W Ranch is one of my favorite vacation destinations. Have all of thar music CD's too.

What's the air quality like in Denver? One of my patients is going there to visit family in a few days and I'm worried about him going.

Chili Pepper Kid

According to the website for the CO Dept of Public Health, http://apcd.state.co.us/air_quality.aspx, quality in Denver today has been moderate to good. The Springs area, not so much. Your patient should probably keep an eye on that website for further updates.

According to the website for the CO Dept of Public Health, http://apcd.state.co.us/air_quality.aspx, quality in Denver today has been moderate to good. The Springs area, not so much. Your patient should probably keep an eye on that website for further updates.

Thank you

CPK

Pretty bad. So far the estimate is of at least 300 homes burned down on the NW side of Colorado Springs. No exact number. At last count, approximately 18,500 acres burned. Fire is still north & east of Highway 24, although that road is closed between Woodland Park and Colorado Springs; also, the fire is still west of Interstate 25, but just about everyone from Monument to Colorado Springs, to Woodland Park west of I-25 and north of US 24 is under mandatory evacuation.

Would sure like to hear from any compadres who live in those areas.

Buena suerte, y cuidado!

eGG

Prayers up for the brave Firefighters, the homeowners, and everyone else affected..Right now I'm back east..But last year at this time I was a refugee from the Las Conchas fire in northern N.M, so I can kinda relate..Although I didn't have to worry about losing my home since I was renting..Best of luck to all and take care to stay out of harm's way out there.

Even as far as we are from the fire, and from the mountains (20 miles), all these evacuations make one think about priorities when evacuating.

We have all of our important paperwork ~ wills, passports, insurance and investment documents, gun list ~ in a fireproof safe in a fireproof cellar in the back yard. No need to think about that stuff.

First priority: get the animals loaded, together with feed & water.

Second: guns (I don't trust insurance to cover them), photo albums & family heirlooms.

Third: grab the COWBOY CLOTHES!

Fourth: just take the underwear drawers, pile some clothes on top and throw it in the back seat.

Fifth: It there is time, grab snacks and water for humans.

The range fires out here move so fast that there is never a "pre-evacuation order." And we have had some VERY close calls with range fires over the years. Four years back Calico Cass evacuated 3 saddle horses and two miniatures with a two horse trailer in one trip! But if I WAS in a pre-evac area, I think I would get the animals out long before it became a mandatory evac., and get everything else loaded into the vehicles, move the horse trailer and travel trailer out of the danger zone. Why wait?

These things make one think......

Buena suerte,

eGG

Inciweb is a good source for keeping track of the fires.

Here's the Waldo Canyon fire.

There's a fire now just NE of Grand Junction. It shouldn't threaten the city.

Archived