SASS Wire Forum

I don't do this to compete, I do this to have fun.

The statement: "I don't do this to compete, I do this to have fun." suits me fine

I was shooting to have fun before I became active in SASS, and I will be shooting to have fun a long time.

No where does this statement say that those who shoot to compete do not have fun.

In fact, they may be having more fun than I am if they are doing well in the competition.

If I wanted to be competitive, I would be dry firing 200 times an evening and spending hours practicing my shotgun reloads. That is work IMHO, and I don't want my fun to be work.

So the statement that started this thread fits me to a "T".

If that makes you mad, so be it.

You have fun your way and I will have fun my way and God Bless You.

Duffield

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I’m one of those that don’t give a crap if you even turn the damn timer on. I shoot because I love the guns and the people

And no I’m not making excuses or in denial. I just boxed up and pitched 6 boxes of trophies and plaques left over from the old days when I did compete. I shoot to relieve stress not cause it

Sorry I’m one of those that don’t give a crap if you even turn the damn timer on. I shoot because I love the guns and the people ! :huh:

+1 B)

Amen Brother :blink:

Sorry I’m one of those that don’t give a crap if you even turn the damn timer on. I shoot because I love the guns and the people ! :huh:

+1 B)

Amen Brother :blink:

But you sure seem to care about how others play the game. Kinda a contradiction don't you think?

Just perhaps,,,, you need more that a timer to make it a 'competion'.... Like other shooters that are near your level of shooting.

Generally speaking, it isn't much of a competion beating up on a person 30years your senior when both of you have been in the game about the same amount of time and shooting in the same catagory.

Just perhaps.

Wouldn't that type of classification system require standardized "qualifying" stages in order to rank shooters by time??

I don't see that happening in this game.

Just by looking at scores, it strikes me that EOT is pretty much a competition among equals, especially within categories. No need to change. There is also a pretty good dose of fun there based on other threads I read. Situation permitting, I may attend in the future.

So once again, we are in a sport with a competitive venue mixed with a recreational venue. Sounds like ever yother sport and also sounds mighty good to me.

:)

If'n we don't do this to compete? Then why does are brains go crazy when that Timer goes "Off" ?

Just thinkin!

But it's still fun as H___L to hang with my S.A.S.S. Family! Telling Lies, Joking, Laughing, O'h and Shooting!

it strikes me that EOT is pretty much a competition among equals

If you can afford to go.

Fillmore

If you can afford to go.

Fillmore

Now THAT would be somethin' to change. Move it around to different regions of the country so folks with shallower pockets could experience it....

Can I just add a slightly different spin to this thread? I have been lucky (or some say unlucky) enough) to help in the "birthing" of 3 practical shooting sports. What I have learned over the years is that competition is always the heart of a sport, the engine that drives that sport and the magnet that attracts new shooters to the sport. That's why there were no "cowboy dress-up societies" before SASS. What I've also found is that as people come to the sport, they bring viewpoints unique to themselves, and through those viewpoints discover aspects of the sport that we founders never anticipated. That is a very good thing, because it grows the sport in many new directions. Think of how this applies to our sport,

The key to the sport's "survivability" is the make sure the heart remains strong. A couple of years ago, I was afraid SASS had missed that point. But now I think there's been a complete turn-around. After a flat spot, cowboy is growing again...it's interesting to me that the flat spot coincided with our mini-identity crisis. When the pendulum swung back to the reaffirmation that we are indeed a competitive shooting sport, membership began growing. Two years ago the firearms companies...critical sponsors of our sport...we're poised to write us off as "old guys in hats." That has changed as well.

So come to shoot for whatever reasons that bring you to the match! But always remember that the sport, I.e. the competition, is what bought us together in the first place.

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Can I just add a slightly different spin to this thread? I have been lucky (or some say unlucky) enough) to help in the "birthing" of 3 practical shooting sports. What I have learned over the years is that competition is always the heart of a sport, the engine that drives that sport and the magnet that attracts new shooters to the sport. That's why there were no "cowboy dress-up societies" before SASS. What I've also found is that as people come to the sport, they bring viewpoints unique to themselves, and through those viewpoints discover aspects of the sport that we founders never anticipated. That is a very good thing, because it grows the sport in many new directions. Think of how this applies to our sport,

The key to the sport's "survivability" is the make sure the heart remains strong. A couple of years ago, I was afraid SASS had missed that point. But now I think there's been a complete turn-around. After a flat spot, cowboy is growing again...it's interesting to me that the flat spot coincided with our mini-identity crisis. When the pendulum swung back to the reaffirmation that we are indeed a competitive shooting sport, membership began growing. Two years ago the firearms companies...critical sponsors of our sport...we're poised to write us off as "old guys in hats." That has changed as well.

So come to shoot for whatever reasons that bring you to the match! But always remember that the sport, I.e. the competition, is what bought us together in the first place.

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Also remember a couple years ago that the economy was in dire trouble so that may also have contributed to our sport 'flattening'....just another possible cause.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

But you sure seem to care about how others play the game. Kinda a contradiction don't you think?

Where did that come from?

I think for the most part if we didn't enjoy the sport and didn't have fun we wouldn't do it....at least not for a buckle, a piece of paper and a chunk of wood. Now....if it were for riches I could see a post titled...."I don't do it for fun...I do it to win at all costs", or something like that.

This is one of those posts where we can chat about and it really doesn't mean anything nor will it effect how any of us go about shooting the sport. Just killin time with the rest of ya....

KK

That one sentence (or similar verbage) bugs me more than any other I've read on the Wire. What about you?

Fillmore

Bug me? Why no... but, do the folks that say it, really mean it? I have to question their objectivity when thye do, Some days its a competition just to show up. Others it'sa real struggle to complete the match. Why there's been a stage or two when the timer's won! What? You've never gotten a 999.99?

Whether you mention to a pard or just tell yourself, "I'm shootin' a clean match today," you're in a competition. Whenever you make the attempt to improve your stage time or finish in 82nd instead of 83rd, you're competing. If you've accepted or wished you'd qualified fot that "clean" stage/match pin, you're "competing."

If you've went out and bought shirts, pants, vest or gunleather, you're competing. if for nothing but to stay out of that "worst dressed cowboy/girl group!

Why just this past weekend I was at a match, didn't even shoot, but I found myself competing for a spotter or target setter position! Anything to keep from pickin' brass!

I dont care how any one wont's to play the game .

I have made some suggestions that meany shooters, Would like to see some smaller bonus targets.

NOT every stage needs to be big and fast .

Lets see some mixing up of the stages a little.

But I guess making a suggestion is NOT allowed around here ,Or you are judging others for playing there game wrong . :rolleyes:

fer sum reason er another

competition to some, wood mean that you are competing for top overall er nuthin

NOT so

go back and read what

Wolf Baine said bout shooting--------and------competition

his, tv shows bout shootin rock

so, he must of lerent sum-thin along the way

have fun compete-in

>>>>>>>>>>>AND<<<<<<<<<<<<

ya,,,,,,,,,, can compete,, while ya have funn

it dont git any simpler than that :huh::huh:;);)

I dont care how any one wont's to play the game .

I have made some suggestions that meany shooters, Would like to see some smaller bonus targets.

NOT every stage needs to be big and fast .

Lets see some mixing up of the stages a little.

But I guess making a suggestion is NOT allowed around here ,Or you are judging others for playing there game wrong . :rolleyes:

After much consideration,,,,, I would not have heart burn if a MD put a smallish (6inch suit ya??) 'bonus' target (like 5 seconds worth) way the heck back there at the end of the berm (50yards make ya happy?) to scratch the itch of folks like you.. Mind ya, make it an optional 'bonus target' and I am good to go with the idea.

Blastmaster.

I shoot Gunfighter with .45 Colt in a local club that has only two categories (one-handed or two-handed). I supposed that if I wanted to be more competitive, I'd switch to .38 special and change to a slicker holster set (mine is period correct). I love the history and try to recreate some of the feeling of shooting in the Old West of the 1870's-1880's (I recently switched over to black powder).

Whatever causes someone to come out on a hot day in 19th Century clothing to join us in shooting is a good thing. Some of us are just there so you'll have someone to beat and I'm happy to serve that purpose. I'm always happy if I can get through a hot day and finish the match without passing out. Last time I had three clean stages out of five (a new personal best) which got me pretty excited. If I ever get into a match with the category of Senior Frontier Gunfighter, I might become a "gamer." :blush:

--Ranger Dave

I shoot Gunfighter with .45 Colt in a local club that has only two categories (one-handed or two-handed). I supposed that if I wanted to be more competitive, I'd switch to .38 special and change to a slicker holster set (mine is period correct). I love the history and try to recreate some of the feeling of shooting in the Old West of the 1870's-1880's (I recently switched over to black powder).

Whatever causes someone to come out on a hot day in 19th Century clothing to join us in shooting is a good thing. Some of us are just there so you'll have someone to beat and I'm happy to serve that purpose. I'm always happy if I can get through a hot day and finish the match without passing out. Last time I had three clean stages out of five (a new personal best) which got me pretty excited. If I ever get into a match with the category of Senior Frontier Gunfighter, I might become a "gamer."

--Ranger Dave

Ranger Dave, you have hit the nail on the head!! I loved your response as it perfectly sums up the SASS situation in regards to a slightly less than competitive situation. I use to shoot Old Armies that had been converted to 45 LC and although everything was brand new I felt like it was old and slow like the guys that first used such an arm and had to fight with the same things I was fighting with. Great fun! I too served as fodder for other shooters to beat. Smithy.

Archived