SASS Wire Forum

I don't do this to compete, I do this to have fun.

That's kind of my point. People who are into the competition, it's automatically assumed that they're having fun. OTOH, if someone is interested in SASS at all, it's automatically assumed that they're into the competition regardless of what they actually find to be fun.

So, how about an additional notation to the score sheets? Give the shooter the option to be listed (before the match begins) as "Not Ranked." He'll receive a score (that he can use or not for his own purposes), but it doesn't count for any awards. It would be one or two additional items in the spreadsheet program, and would give the non-competitors official standing. Heck, there could even be a special badge, the JFF (Just For Fun) Pistoleros, or some such.

There ya go!

Now everyone will know that you're having FUN...cuz we all know that there are folks out there that don't have FUN...and you certainly don't want folks to think you are one of them...

:wacko:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy competition, but I shoot for fun. I like to shoot a clean match now and then; that is competing against myself. As long as I am not dead last, i haven't lost the match. All I ask is that those interested in competitive speed not gripe about my slowness. I am one of those who really enjoys just playing cowboy like when I was a kid watching those old westerns the first time they were on TV.

Again I have to remind folks that only the top 5 percent are in the running, so the other 95 percent are Not! That other 95 percent would have to be reaping other benefits from participating other than competition. ALL can have fun so don't get me wrong, I'm just saying the other benefits that all can enjoy (including competitive ones) like the friendship, sending lead downrange, or dressing up? This has to be enough for the remaining 95 percent or they're shooting for nothing at all. Ask most why they shoot and you'll get some answer along lines of what I've mentioned. Very few even can or would state that it's the competitive nature of the game. Smithy.

Come to think of it, even the Top 5% could sign up for "Not Ranked." They'd still be scored, just not ranked, and would have bragging rights while allowing 2nd-tier shooters a chance at placing in the money. Lead Dispencer and the others *know* they'd probably win, but this would allow them the option of stepping aside while still "competing" against each other or themselves.

Of course, this assumes that they're not into it because they like to collect trophies. But how many buckles can you wear at a time?

There ya go!

Now everyone will know that you're having FUN...cuz we all know that there are folks out there that don't have FUN...and you certainly don't want folks to think you are one of them...

:wacko:

Are you feeling OK? You left out how "stoopid" it sounds.

And I still look better than you do.

BJ - "As long as I am not dead last, i haven't lost the match. " What about if you do come in dead last?

I'm not begrudging anything or anyone. OTOH, while I haven't been keeping count, the folks in this thread who find their fun in something besides competition seem to have the edge over those who don't.

So, is there a SASS-approved, politically correct way to say that?

Yeah....."I don't look at the score sheet".......

Stan - Who shoots for fun and looks at the score sheet

The debate would be entirely moot had the sport not evolved into one that requires and permits race guns for competition at the top levels, and makes no distinction between those using them and those not using them.

There will always be top shooters, and I assume they're having fun, but I also assume that their driven by something more than just fun when they step to the firing line.

I'm Going shooting ,,,,,,,,Ya All have fun ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Discussing ....

Come up to "Palmers Gulch" and shoot with me and COG an TR ........ AND HAVE HEAPS OF FUN !!!!

Jabez Cowboy

There will always be top shooters, and I assume they're having fun, but I also assume that their driven by something more than just fun when they step to the firing line.

AND....we all know what happens when you assume...... B)

"There will always be top shooters, and I assume they're having fun, but I also assume that their driven by something more than just fun when they step to the firing line."

Oddnews, that is exaxctly my point. We ALL compete. I compete with my wife, 'cause theres no way I'm gonna let her beat me! I compete against some other BP shooters to make sure my guns are louder and smokier than theirs. I compete with myself to see if I can do a whole match without some sort of brain fart messing me up. I do all this wearing my vest, even though it may get in the way. Many times I wear my duster, which I have to push out of the way everytime I draw and re-holster. I have pistols with 7.5" barrels, even though they are slower, but I think they are "cooler". I don't own a coach gun, all my shotguns have barrels of 28" or longer, and some of them have hammers. I even shoot my Henry once in a while, even though loads on the clock are painfully slow. I made my holsters using a pic of an old one in "Packing Iron", and all you can see of my gun is the grip.I won't sacrifice ANY of this in the name of getting a better score, because then it wouldn't be as much "fun" for me. Thus, in my mind, I am not there to compete. Those guys and gals are the ones who dropped in caliber 'cause it was faster, actually spend money on their guns with gunsmiths to have them "tuned", have holsters that have most of the gun showing for an easier grab. They base many of their decisions on things that will help them to place well. And that's fine with me, as long as they stay within the rules. Ya know what sentence bothers me the most? " You would be faster if ya did this or that..."

The debate would be entirely moot had the sport not evolved into one that requires and permits race guns for competition at the top levels, and makes no distinction between those using them and those not using them.

Hi Oddnews,

Why do you say that, about them being driven by something more than fun?

I believe winning is more fun than being last. I say this as someone who used to win her category (locally) and now is lucky to not be last. I still have fun shooting; but I miss being in the competive aspect of it.

I do not begrudge those willing to put in the time and money to practice and buy the slickest guns.

To each his/her own according to his/her financial means and physical abilities.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Oddnews,

Why do you say that, about them being driven by something more than fun?

I believe winning is more fun than being last. I say this as someone who used to win her category (locally) and now is lucky to not be last. I still have fun shooting; but I miss being in the competive aspect of it.

I do not begrudge those willing to put in the time and money to practice and buy the slickest guns.

To each his/her own according to his/her financial means and physical abilities.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Some people don't care if they finish last - they are having just as much fun as anybody else.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I'm still fairly new at this, and while the fast shooters are having fun (& I'm sure they are); I contend that since I'm at the firing line twice as long (or longer) than they are, I'm having twice as much fun. Plus, I'm using blackpowder, so that another increase in the fun factor...... Grizhicks

Ever wonder why a timer is used?-----------------------------------Maybe because it's a shooting competition? Maybe?

Whatever else it may be, fun-etc.- if the timer went away so would the game, don't you think?

Maybe and maybe not. That all depends upon the construct of the sport. The way it is today I think CAS would shrink immensely *if it was not* a timed sport because of what is "prized". After all, I believe it is human nature to compete.

However, there are lots of other sports that are healthy and well populated where scoring and tournament play against others is not always a part of the sport. Such as poker, ice skating, shooting/plinking at the range, hunting, many trap events, golf, archery, snow or water skiing, sailing, skate boarding, recreational flying, etc. It just depends on what one considers entertaining.

As for competing all by itself, some folks get a thrill out of besting others, some folks not so much. I believe the venue for competition plays a huge role as well. Most folks are really good at one thing or another, and likely do relish their position in that area.

...ya ever just enjoy the backdrop behind the targets... we shoot at some really beautiful places and sometimes its just nice to do a little Rockwellin', that is paint pretty pictures in your head while enjoyin' the shootin' as well...

...some call SASS a competitive sport (and it is) and some call this a game (and it is) and to others it is just fun (and it is)...

...everyone to their own!

Okb (where the RO uses a sun dial as a timer)

...ya ever just enjoy the backdrop behind the targets... we shoot at some really beautiful places and sometimes its just nice to do a little Rockwellin', that is paint pretty pictures in your head while enjoyin' the shootin' as well...

...some call SASS a competitive sport (and it is) and some call this a game (and it is) and to others it is just fun (and it is)...

...everyone to their own!

Okb (where the RO uses a sun dial as a timer)

Yup! there is this range in Indiana (Cuttler's Raiders) that don't necessarity have berms - just an 'infinite 'expanse of dense woods. Kinda neat.

I have seen some ranges from pictures of the western states and the it just looks BEAUTIFUL and I can only imagine being out there in God's country enjoying the scenery.

Yup! there is this range in Indiana (Cuttler's Raiders) that don't necessarity have berms - just an 'infinite 'expanse of dense woods. Kinda neat.

I have seen some ranges from pictures of the western states and the it just looks BEAUTIFUL and I can only imagine being out there in God's country enjoying the scenery.

Some ranges that we've shot with great backdrops:

1. Merlin Marauders - Grant Oregon

2. North Alabama Regulators - Woodville Alabama

3. Arkansas Lead Slingers - Bentonville Arkansas

4. NRA's Whittington Center - Raton New Mexico

Okb

Ever wonder why a timer is used?-----------------------------------Maybe because it's a shooting competition? Maybe?

Whatever else it may be, fun-etc.- if the timer went away so would the game, don't you think?

Just perhaps,,,, you need more that a timer to make it a 'competion'.... Like other shooters that are near your level of shooting.

Generally speaking, it isn't much of a competion beating up on a person 30years your senior when both of you have been in the game about the same amount of time and shooting in the same catagory.

Just perhaps.

I totally disagree with that statement. "...requires and permits race guns...." Sorry pard but this game was being won by top shooters using the Marlin 94 and the Winchester 92 long before the advent of the short strokes and such that put the 73 on the front burner. Lead Dispenser can shoot a stock Marlin faster than most folks can say "WOW!". Just about any top shooter can shoot a Marlin or a 92 faster than most folks can shoot the most tricked out race gun around. Any body that thinks they can WIN, just by purchasing a Race gun, is just not ever going to be in the winners circle. That circle is full of shooters who can take box stock guns and whip most everyone out there. Nobody is loosing because they can not afford to buy Race guns..

NOBODY!

Snakebite

Just perhaps,,,, you need more that a timer to make it a 'competion'.... Like other shooters that are near your level of shooting.

Generally speaking, it isn't much of a competion beating up on a person 30years your senior when both of you have been in the game about the same amount of time and shooting in the same catagory.

Just perhaps.

Just Perhaps, it would be highly unlikely that "I", in my case, would be beating up a shooter that is 96 or 97. That's how old they would have to be to be 30 years my senior.

And I dont mind saying I have been whooped up on by Texas John Ringo a time or two....and hes is, well, more than a few years older than me. And I believe we both were having fun at the time.

Just Perhaps, it would be highly unlikely that "I", in my case, would be beating up a shooter that is 96 or 97. That's how old they would have to be to be 30 years my senior.

You got my message. You need more than a timer to be competitive. You need another shooter of comprable skill to have a competion. One hardly needs a timer when shooting against a 96 YO shooter, unless you are 96 YO. LOL

Edit: Reread you statement. You are saying you, as a 66 YO shooter probably would/could not win over a 96 YO shooter?

You got my message. You need more than a timer to be competitive. You need another shooter of comprable skill to have a competion. One hardly needs a timer when shooting against a 96 YO shooter, unless you are 96 YO. LOL

Edit: Reread you statement. You are saying you, as a 66 YO shooter probably would/could not win over a 96 YO shooter?

I don't know any 96 year old shooters, do you?

But if they did, good for them.

Some ranges that we've shot with great backdrops:

1. Merlin Marauders - Grant Oregon

2. North Alabama Regulators - Woodville Alabama

3. Arkansas Lead Slingers - Bentonville Arkansas

4. NRA's Whittington Center - Raton New Mexico

Okb

OKB, you gotta' come to Wartrace Tennessee! 'Specially in the fall! Our state match is the second weekend in Oct. A more beautiful background you won't find. There are some as nice, but none more beautiful! :wub:

I shoot with a feller who will be 93 next week on July 4th!! :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm: Happy Birthday Blue Boy!! :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Just perhaps.

I got it (though others may have not). It is NO competition if your average no miss round times (or with misses and it ends up this time) of over a minute a stage (as mine were) to be shooting against someone that can whip one out in 17 seconds!! It's a gimmie to the better shooter and if he's a national winner showing up at a local Podunk range, he will clean up all across the board. Also, I don't consider coming in at tenth place being a winner. Some would consider second place loosing. Just look at a boxing match and ask about second place. But if we had "ability classes" where you would shoot against those of similar talent, everyone would be competing against their peers. And if the national winner showed up at that same Podunk range, he'd probably have no one to shoot against since all the members there would be in a lower class. He'd still win his/her class, but not at the expense of ALL of the shooters just barely treading water in the game. Run it like skeet and all would be for fun as well as all would be for competition (within their own classes).

It'd be easy to set up, first deep six all of the different classifications (except maybe for black powder) but all the rest are in one pile. Dress in the period you chose, wear your guns above or below the belt line, use a 97 or an 87 shotgun they're all within the range that SASS applies to (except the 1911 boys put them in their own group as they are now). If you average time for a stage (based upon your last three shoots) was less than 20 seconds you're in AAA, 20-30 seconds AA, 30-40 A, 40-50 B, 50-60 C, and anything over a minute would be D class. Skeet lets you advance any number of classes that your last three shoots produce, but you are only allowed to go down a class by one level per year. The latter is to prevent sandbagging which did occur in skeet until they made the rule about only going down one notch per year. Most people won't sacrifice their averages on three full shoots just to come out the darling shooter on only one shoot. It works like a champ and everyone feels involved that way. The top shooters are still competing, but not against the minute men, against guys that have the potential of beating them. Likewise with every other class, you'd have a fighting chance to come out a winner, not a guaranteed loss because Sir Leads Alot showed up and will be taking the awards. It also develops improved shooting as you rise in your shooting ability and start winning some awards, your average goes up and bumps you into the next class and you have to start your fight for top honors all over again. It would really be something to look at. Smithy.

Wouldn't that type of classification system require standardized "qualifying" stages in order to rank shooters by time??

I don't see that happening in this game.

Wouldn't that type of classification system require standardized "qualifying" stages in order to rank shooters by time??

I don't see that happening in this game.

Probably just some concessions on everyone's part to specify target size and fixed distance for rifle and revolver. Admittingly I had a very short run in SASS, but every stage I did get under my belt was basically popping off 24 rounds (if I didn't flub up in the shotgun). It was 5 rounds for each revolver, ten for the rifle, and four for the shotgun. Pretty standard if you ask me. The only variance was size and distance of targets. Smithy.

Just perhaps.

Ain't that why we have age based and shooting style catagories? Top shooters using "non-race" guns could spot me two stages and STILL beat me. I don't feel bad about that, and they shouldn't either.

I get out of SASS exactly what I'm willing to put into it, in terms of success. I'll never be a top shooter, but I'll never be a starting NFL quarterback, either. Some folks are better at this game than me, I have fun AND compete within my limitations. If I can't handle getting beat, I need to go home and find some knittin' needles....

Heeee Haaaaa I JUST WANT TO WIN >>>ONCE :P

Heeee Haaaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

I arbitarly used 30 years. My analyagy works backwards to. Say you are 67 YO and have 10years of good SASS experience. You think you are competive with a 37YO (30years your junior) with same 10years of experience? Generally, no.

Use whatever age spread you choose, I just happen to use 30 years for demonstration purposes.

My whole point was, in response to your statement of if you took the timer away, no one would shoot because there would be nothing to compete for. Well, you need other shooters of compairable skill PLUS the timer to make it a show.

Thats all,

Blastmaster

Archived