SASS Wire Forum

I don't do this to compete, I do this to have fun.

^ This

And this ^

If there was no competition aspect to SASS I wouldn't be a memeber. I'm here for the competition. Why? Because that's my idea of fun. If I just wanted to shoot I could go out in the desert and do that from sun up to sun down. Yee ha, big deal. :blink: It's the element of competition that makes this so much fun for me. Yes, the great people and other assorted frivolity make it the best competition I've ever participated in but the bottom line is, I'm here to have fun...........................by competing. ;)

wow

I never new this hear feller

was

so

SMART ;););)

THE wire never ceases to edu-ma-kate-mee

well said mann :ph34r:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't begrudge someone because they are quick and having fun.

I'm not begrudging anything or anyone. OTOH, while I haven't been keeping count, the folks in this thread who find their fun in something besides competition seem to have the edge over those who don't.

So, is there a SASS-approved, politically correct way to say that?

I'm not begrudging anything or anyone. OTOH, while I haven't been keeping count, the folks in this thread who find their fun in something besides competition seem to have the edge over those who don't.

How are you keeping score? From my reading a lot of people posting here are in both camps. The key takeaway from this thread is that competition and fun are not mutually exclusive. In fact I don't think you will find a single person who has posted here who says that he is competing instead of having fun. :blink:

For me the lesson I learn over and over when reading these threads is that everybody who keeps coming back to shoot is having fun.

I do shoot only for fun - I don't "compete". I've been doing this long enough to have mastered my weaponry as well as I can and I definitely recognize my severe lack of hand/eye skill. I also know that my time left shooting may be severely shortened due to problems with my health.

So, if the time comes when I'm no longer having fun, I'll quit and sit on a stool and run the LT or ULT, keep score or run the water wagon in my golf cart. There's always other ways to have fun!!

I'm not begrudging anything or anyone. OTOH, while I haven't been keeping count,

the folks in this thread who find their fun in something besides competition seem to have the edge over those who don't.

Have the edge??? I don't believe you could be any more wrong. As long as both groups are having fun, there's no such thing as one having an edge over the other. Both groups are doing exactly the same thing, just in different ways. I for one can't find ANYTHING wrong with that. :FlagAm:

The only fly I can see getting into the ointment is the basis of this entire thread. When a member or members of one group tries to belittle the other group simply because they have a different idea of what's fun, that's a problem. The solution to that is to adhere to one of the principles this country was founded on; as long as I'm not interfering with your bidness, please stay out of mine. ;)

Have the edge??? I don't believe you could be any more wrong. As long as both groups are having fun, there's no such thing as one having an edge over the other. Both groups are doing exactly the same thing, just in different ways. I for one can't find ANYTHING wrong with that. :FlagAm:

The only fly I can see getting into the ointment is the basis of this entire thread. When a member or members of one group tries to belittle the other group simply because they have a different idea of what's fun, that's a problem. The solution to that is to adhere to one of the principles this country was founded on; as long as I'm not interfering with your bidness, please stay out of mine. ;)

X2, and put a good bit nicer than I was going to post, BTW ;)

Who the heck cares why the other person shoots whatever they shoot?

Why IS it anyones else "bidness" anyhoo?

I shoot to "bug" PS :P

LG

I think it is kind of funny how some people want to compete by comparing and thus competing against other people on who is having the most fun, while at the same time declaring they are the ones who aren't competive! :0). Huh? I bethinks I spy a little green monster. Cuz, if I didn't, certain people wouldn't be moved to declare, I just shoot for FUN...... By the way, Don't we all?

X2, and put a good bit nicer than I was going to post, BTW ;)

Who the heck cares why the other person shoots whatever they shoot?

Why IS it anyones else "bidness" anyhoo?

I shoot to "bug" PS :P

LG

And you're doing a darn fine job of it Sir. Bugging me that is. Your shooting still sucks. :P

And you're doing a darn fine job of it Sir. Bugging me that is. Your shooting still sucks. :P

Un-like you, at least "I" look good while shooting....... :P :P

OK, "cart-boy", get back to work so SK can spend your $$$ at GFBJL....... :lol: :lol:

LG

The thing that really bothers me is when folks try to force others to do things their way or shame others for the things they find fun.

I thought that that was what the OP was! I never shot for competition because I'm not good enough period. I'm also smart enough to know that I had neither the time, energy, money, nor will to improve enough to even be competitive. So why did I shoot? It certainly was not competition! It was fun to shoot at varied targets that clanked when hit. A little like skeet or trap and I was not competitive there either, but I got to shoot at a moving target and if I did it right the target would bust into tiny pieces or dust. That was fun too! I don't know why this has some folks arguing or the purpose of the post in the first place. Some people buy factory ammo and some people reload? Two camps and both are just as fine as the other.

I did see a father and son team in a registered skeet shoot one day and they were both very competitive, high scoring skeet shooters. After about 48 perfect shots, the son missed one and then the cussing began. Father at son, son at father and both at the missed shot. A few rounds later, the father missed one himself and the cussing started all over again. Bottom line: Were they competitive? Yes, very much so. Were they having fun? Up until that first miss I'd have to say yes, but after their first miss (and subsequent ones) they were miserable.

So I shot for fun only! It was posted that if it were all for fun there'd be more clean shoots. Well I've come close a couple of times. Once I missed by one target only. Sure I was a bit miffed at that target, because I knew exactly why I missed and it was my own darn fault, but did I have fun? You bet, because it was also the best shooting I had ever done. Mind you now, no stage under a minute so competition was out the window. Smithy.

That one sentence (or similar verbage) bugs me more than any other I've read on the Wire. What about you?

Fillmore

...nope...

That works for me! I really don't care why somebody else is at a match, we all need each other to survive. I have fun, and I do try to get better, but I'm not on fire with it like some are. But those folks seem to enjoy it in their way as much as I do mine. NO top shooter I ever met could do it any other way, it's in their blood. And I think that's just fine.....

Wasn't implying you were BB. General statement based on some of the more obvious replies. We all have fun in our own game and that's what it should be. We oughta support each other (what ever the view) because we all do share one thing in common that is essential; the love of shooting cowboy guns. ^_^

That's "stupid." And I'm still better-looking than you are.

So, how else would you say it? Competition is fun for some; the shooting, clothes and people are fun for me.

Have you ever noticed that when a newbie asks what he should look at buying, nobody asks why he wants to get into the game? "They" all assume it's competition and start talking about OMVs and such? Nobody even mentions clothing items or non-competitive guns like Spencers, Schofields, open-tops, whatever.

I recently attended one of the shooting schools and was told to lose my vest because that "bit of vanity" was getting in my way, and to only use one set of guns and ignore the rest of my collection. I took the school to improve my gun handling, not to be competitive, yet there seems to be some sort of rule that if you take a class you're only interested in competition. And here I was being told to ditch 2/3 of what I found to be the most fun for what I find to be the least fun. The one thing I am not in it for is the competition, and I'll gladly sacrifice every competitive edge I've got in favor of the people, clothing and guns.

So, no, I'm not into it for the competition, I'm into it for the fun. And saying so isn't "stoopid."

When we put on a new shooter's clinic, we talk mostly about the fun .. and at least minimal clothing (but there's no end if you want it) .. and safety .. oh, ... and guns. To repeat the common knowledge already mentioned - keep coming to matches for whatever reason you can dream up. My guess is that there is enough happiness here for all of us.

CR

I love this thread.

No I don't

Yes I do.

Arrrgggghhh!

Well I'm having fun anyway. :lol: :lol:

Allie...some of us are simple.

Really simple.;):lol:

Folks that say that line are generally an odd lot for two reasons. First, the statement implies exclusiveness between the two. SASS is the best example of the silliness of that idea. The second odd thing is how few of them let the posse know that the timer and score is not needed or wanted, just a start signal.

++1

I like to compete. I like to have fun. Now you're telling me I can't do both at the same time........why not?

I use to get drunk and dumb at the same time

Wyatt

For whatever it's worth, I've only met 2 shooters on the line (I was RO) that truly used the beep for nothing but a start signal. In both cases, neither shooter followed the stage description exactly. They both added a lot in and deviated from the shooting order somewhat to maximize their personal entertainment. They were both laughing and having a ball. One of these was at EOT. Another was a local shooter at a club somewhere between here and there. Quite a couple of characters!

They both worked their tails off on posse chores. And were a flat out joy to have around. I'd be honored to shoot with either of them again.

Hey Feelmore... I also thought BJTs comment was good. It reminded me of a fellow that we use to shoot with at CVR... you know him. He use to sign up in no category, and put down "Just for fun".... OK... so I was running the timer, and at the beep he started. When he was done I called the next shooter.. never giving a time. He ask.. I told him that I did not time him. He got very upset about not having a time. Sure seemed funny to me. O-well.

Snakebite

I like to compete. I like to have fun. Now you're telling me I can't do both at the same time........why not?

I use to get drunk and dumb at the same time

Wyatt

Spew alert.. wipe off the screen :lol: :lol:

Now that was Funny... GREAT sense of humor Wyatt..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I was drunk n' dumb once..

and at the same time..

but just once ta my thinkin' :blush:

I know I've been dumb more than once :unsure: ..

but can't remember drunk :blink::wacko:

mighta been more than once ;)

I'm with you, Henry! :lol:

Well, I can name two. Montana Longhair can shoot fast if he has a mission, but he would rather score style points and then theres Mathew Duncan who loves to shoot slow and clean with big powder. These two will keep ya going....both will enjoy whatever they decide to do that particular day. Put the Jacks from Texas in the mix and Furball will go crazy to include laying on the ground behind cover while shooting targets (in a safe manner) Shooting with these two and a couple of others is an experience....one that I enjoy.

KK

At least I've never said that that can't happen. What I did say was that considering my shooting abilities (even when I first started due to back injuries) and that fact that I move as slow as molasses, I'd never make that top 5 percent to be competitive. So at the very least I should be having a lot of fun, which I can say without question that I did!! And I admit that if I walked away with a buckle that would be nothing but a blast as well. The former is much more likely to happen than the latter. Smithy.

Uh...heeeellllllloooooooo...

Fun is a common denominator...so what's the point of bringing it up?

Oh wait. I think I got it.

Those that say I'm in it for the fun are actually saying...no...

Sorry, I don't got it.

Why do some feel the need to explain "Why" they are in this game?

:mellow:

Only because others make a point of it as in the OP. Smithy.

In fact I don't think you will find a single person who has posted here who says that he is competing instead of having fun.

That's kind of my point. People who are into the competition, it's automatically assumed that they're having fun. OTOH, if someone is interested in SASS at all, it's automatically assumed that they're into the competition regardless of what they actually find to be fun.

So, how about an additional notation to the score sheets? Give the shooter the option to be listed (before the match begins) as "Not Ranked." He'll receive a score (that he can use or not for his own purposes), but it doesn't count for any awards. It would be one or two additional items in the spreadsheet program, and would give the non-competitors official standing. Heck, there could even be a special badge, the JFF (Just For Fun) Pistoleros, or some such.

So, how about an additional notation to the score sheets? Give the shooter the option to be listed (before the match begins) as "Not Ranked." He'll receive a score (that he can use or not for his own purposes), but it doesn't count for any awards. It would be one or two additional items in the spreadsheet program, and would give the non-competitors official standing. Heck, there could even be a special badge, the JFF (Just For Fun) Pistoleros, or some such.

That would have been perfect when I was still shooting! I would have been first in line to sign up! When there is absolutely NO way you'll enter the "winner's circle" you quickly learn to reap other benefits other than competitive ones. Other wise it would be a total waste of one's time. I'm presently 6' 1" and 270 pounds. Now I could fancy myself a marathon runner and sign up to the local "Marathon Club". According to the present line of thinking, I'd be doing it for competition sake? Heck no I'd come in dead last even if I managed to finish the darn thing. If it was anything like High School, I'd have to take a pack, food, bag, and a tent, because it would take me at least two if not three days to finish. So if I'm not joining for competition, why would I even think of joining a running club? Maybe my doc told me to get off my butt and loose a few pounds and I knew a couple of buddies in the club? Now I'd be joining for the friendship and the health benefits, Not the competition!

Again I have to remind folks that only the top 5 percent are in the running, so the other 95 percent are Not! That other 95 percent would have to be reaping other benefits from participating other than competition. ALL can have fun so don't get me wrong, I'm just saying the other benefits that all can enjoy (including competitive ones) like the friendship, sending lead downrange, or dressing up? This has to be enough for the remaining 95 percent or they're shooting for nothing at all. Ask most why they shoot and you'll get some answer along lines of what I've mentioned. Very few even can or would state that it's the competitive nature of the game. Smithy.

Archived