SASS Wire Forum

I don't do this to compete, I do this to have fun.

Bingo !!!!

Give The Man a cigar !!!!

And most folks is catching on ....

Have Fun Yer own Way and let others play the game their way .....

Jabez Cowboy

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truly top shooters account for about what, 5 percent of the SASS population? I'll even be generous and add another 5 percent who want to be for a ten percent of SASS as "top shooters". That looks to me as leaving 90 percent out there for another reason? Most of the time I'm sure that one would hear "To have fun", or "Chum it up with my friends at the range" or something very similar. In other words Just to have fun! I would never imply that the folks walking away with the trinkets and buckles and trophies are not also having a lot of fun as well. It's just that their talent is honed enough to be competitive and give the winning ranks a run for their money.

I keep referring to how skeet is run (as a better way). There you are competing against only those shooters that are basically at or around your skill level. In skeet I shot in D class and the classes went up to AAA for the really top notch shooters. If SASS did something similar then the just started newbie would not have to compete against the National Champ whenever they went shooting. It affects your feelings to read you've placed 95th out of 103 shooters, rather than a classed system where you'd read that you placed fourth out of twelve shooters in your class. That way Everyone could get in on the competitiveness aspect of the sport and not just 5 percent of the shooters.

I'm sure that every shooter has fun with SASS, but with a class system like skeet, everyone could also be competitive and enjoy that portion of SASS as well. Smithy.

Well you have to understand the silliness of the phrase.

Implies that there is no fun in focusing on the competitive side of the game.

So...it's stoopid to say that "I'm in it for the fun"...don't know too many folks that do this game cuz it ain't fun...but I'm sure that there are some CAS masochist out there.

:mellow:

That's "stupid." And I'm still better-looking than you are.

So, how else would you say it? Competition is fun for some; the shooting, clothes and people are fun for me.

Have you ever noticed that when a newbie asks what he should look at buying, nobody asks why he wants to get into the game? "They" all assume it's competition and start talking about OMVs and such? Nobody even mentions clothing items or non-competitive guns like Spencers, Schofields, open-tops, whatever.

I recently attended one of the shooting schools and was told to lose my vest because that "bit of vanity" was getting in my way, and to only use one set of guns and ignore the rest of my collection. I took the school to improve my gun handling, not to be competitive, yet there seems to be some sort of rule that if you take a class you're only interested in competition. And here I was being told to ditch 2/3 of what I found to be the most fun for what I find to be the least fun. The one thing I am not in it for is the competition, and I'll gladly sacrifice every competitive edge I've got in favor of the people, clothing and guns.

So, no, I'm not into it for the competition, I'm into it for the fun. And saying so isn't "stoopid."

Over the years, I've seen a couple shooters leave a match after getting penalties, (not MDQ). I asked one as he was packing up his cart why he was leaving, he said it wasn't fun anymore, (he had just gotten a SDQ). Go figure. MT

Won't say, but one posting here, knows what I'm talking about.

Howdy All, I think most of use do this for the competition? If we didn't try to go as fast as we can? Wouldn't there be a lot of people shooting clean matches! I know all the folks that I shoot with compete and have "Fun" doing it

I think we all have someone that we want to out shoot or be as good as they are? I know when i shoot with better shooters it makes me do better! Even a bad day is a good day shooing with my SASS Family!

That's "stupid." And I'm still better-looking than you are.

So, how else would you say it? Competition is fun for some; the shooting, clothes and people are fun for me.

Have you ever noticed that when a newbie asks what he should look at buying, nobody asks why he wants to get into the game? "They" all assume it's competition and start talking about OMVs and such? Nobody even mentions clothing items or non-competitive guns like Spencers, Schofields, open-tops, whatever.

I recently attended one of the shooting schools and was told to lose my vest because that "bit of vanity" was getting in my way, and to only use one set of guns and ignore the rest of my collection. I took the school to improve my gun handling, not to be competitive, yet there seems to be some sort of rule that if you take a class you're only interested in competition. And here I was being told to ditch 2/3 of what I found to be the most fun for what I find to be the least fun. The one thing I am not in it for is the competition, and I'll gladly sacrifice every competitive edge I've got in favor of the people, clothing and guns.

So, no, I'm not into it for the competition, I'm into it for the fun. And saying so isn't "stoopid."

How do you say...what?

Oh...I got it. You feel the need to explain why you play the game...for some reason this is important to you.

Whatever...most normal people don't feel that need.

And then you bitch about a SHOOTING school tellin you about ways to improve your shooting. Gun handling???? oh please!

:wacko:

Howdy,

I shoot to have fun. I don't say that to belittle those who are competitive. I believe that getting the fastest time with the fewest misses is fun for them, and I enjoy watching them shoot. I don't think SASS would be as attractive to many without watching the really good shooters perform.

Having said all that, I like taking my time, moseying from one gun to the next, talking to the TO and spotters about any decent restaurants they ate at lately (if you saw me you would know why), and generally making flame and huge billows of smoke with BP. If I think I'm shooting too fast, I break out the Spencer - that'll slow you down! When people ask why I'm so slow, I tell them that since we generally shoot 5-stage matches and the fee for members is $10, that's 2 bucks a stage and I'm going to get my money's worth.

I don't really care what people think about my shooting, but we are ALL in it to have fun.

Shakey - who is always in the bottom 5%.

I really don't care why anybody else shoots, just like I don't care why some people like Toyotas and some like Fords.

I know what I like.

As Popeye said, "I yam what I yam". :lol:

Oh...I got it. You feel the need to explain why you play the game...for some reason this is important to you.

Whatever...most normal people don't feel that need.

I guess you haven't been reading this thread.

Anyway, "Why are you into...?" is a pretty common question, both from outsiders and among people who engage in whatever hobby. Finding out why someone is interested in something, and having an intelligent answer, is part of normal conversation around the campfire and/or over a beer, and is also part of common courtesy (as in showing an interest in someone), among other things. So, how do *you* respond when someone asks you what you get out of it: "Well, that's a stoopid question"?

BTW, I got taken to task a couple of days ago for writing "Most people feel.." because my knowledge of what "most people feel " was questionable. So, how do *you* know what most people feel?

And I'm still better looking than you are.

That statement is true for a romantic interlude :wub: but not for Game playing.

Vince Lombardi was right about winning when the competition is part of a job.

A pro Golfer needs to win if he is to be successful in his occupation. A weekend Golfer needs to enjoy his game if he is to be successful in his chosen pass time. That usually means having a balance of Competition and Fun.

When the quest to Win starts to overshadow the quest to have fun, then it is time to "take the time to smell the roses".

That doesn't mean that it is time to stop competing, it just means that it is time to get the scale back into balance. I believe that over the years some have allowed the games focus to get shifted toward winning rather than having fun. Re-introducing a bit of game playing back into CAS is just an adjustment to re-balance the scale.

The scale can be balanced whether the shooter finishes in first, middle or last place. Only the shooter knows when their scale is in balance.

Snakebite

For those who don't know him, Shakey Merlot is one of the greatest Cowboy shooters around. By that I don't mean fast, but he is faster than he lets on. I mean he is a pard you want to have on your posse. He is one of the reasons I am involved in CAS. I love to watch him shoot his Spencer and reload on the clock. His running commentary is terrific. I know that he will always do what is right by a pard and has an open hand and an open heart. And his gal is pretty nice too.

That said I don't deny being competative. I guess my curse is I like to improve every chance I can. It is just my nature. Cowboy shooting gives that part of me an outlet.

Somebody above said that he prefers skeet where they segregate people according to skill level. I disagree. I think that leads to pompous arrogant classism. For me the greatest thing about cowboy shooting is I get to compete in the same posee with all kinds of shooters. I get to enjoy their company. I am able to enjoy their successes and feel for them in their failures. I can pat a slower shooter on the back after he or she has a great run for him or her. I can encourage somebody who has had a bad run. When I do well really good shooters will tell me "great run" and mean it. If a better shooter sees something I can improve he will clue me in. It happened just this last match. After a run Rowdy Buckshot told me a way to shave a few tenths of a second in my shotgun reloads. I tried the tip the other night and it seems to work. Now I have to relearn my loading technique. Little improvements here and there I would never make if I shot only with people at my own level.

Mostly I get to shoot with guys like Shakey who make me laugh. Laughter is a great thing.

Anyway, "Why are you into...?" is a pretty common question, both from outsiders and among people who engage in whatever hobby. Finding out why someone is interested in something, and having an intelligent answer, is part of normal conversation around the campfire and/or over a beer, and is also part of common courtesy (as in showing an interest in someone), among other things. So, how do *you* respond when someone asks you what you get out of it: "Well, that's a stoopid question"?

BTW, I got taken to task a couple of days ago for writing "Most people feel.." because my knowledge of what "most people feel " was questionable. So, how do *you* know what most people feel?

I have to defend Phantom on his reply. When one signs up for a shooting class, Its to improve their shooting. Improving your shooting also leads to improving your place in the game, which leads to competition, be with yourself or those you shoot with. Our game is on a timer, with penalties assessed. Indicating that a vest will hinder someone, and suggesting that a shooter do without is logic, I also started with a vest and found it hindered me when I wanted to shoot a little faster and cleaner. I caught the rifle stock on it, hindered me picking my shotgun ammo from belt, and became hot during summer season matches. When signing up for a shooting class, and an instructor looks over our equipment, firearms and clothing, they're going to give honest opinions which may hinder their progress, or improve upon their present shooting. What one takes from these classes is up to the individual.

Yes, fun and competition can be hand in hand. I don't begrudge those that come to shoot for the competition aspect, nor those that enjoy shooting dressing and playing the game. It can be fun for both factors. MT

As to shooters shooting "just for fun and enjoyment, dang the timer", yes, there are shooters were competition be dang. I'm sure some may know a certain "trooper" in my area, that shoots just for the pleasure of costuming, and shooting.

I don't think the remarks in this thread turned out much like the starter expected. snikker snikker. And I'm glad. In the two clubs that I have shot in, there were keen competitors and guys out to play. We all have respected each other down through the years and I have lots of cooperation.

I am just there to relax and play, like many of you obviously are. When our focused competitors got up to shoot we sincerely cheered them on, and they did when we shot, and we had a lot of fun doing it. And I have seen shooters switch their dedication both ways. That's good.

Apparently there is room for us all.

I am new to CAS/SASS, shot my 4th match this past weekend. I am younger than most people shooting in my posse, and came from another shooting discipline (3 gun)

I came to SASS/CAS to try something different. In this I have been wildly successful. Night and Day difference between CAS and 3-gun.

I also came to SASS/CAS to get away from the ultra-competitive nature of the other; people arguing misses, the constant gaming of the system to try and win, etc. I found the 3-gun mindset to be one that did not fit with my mindset. I shoot to relax, have fun, and improve my skills. Part of the skill improvement is the betterment of my time and hit/miss ratio.

When I started, I spent more time on where to get clothes and stuff than on what to shoot. The decisions were pretty clear cut for me based on existing reloading equipment and fire arms.

The people that I confer with are as much interested in having fun as they are winning, tho they are very good shooters and do win more often than not.

The way I look at this whole thing is that CAS/SASS isnt my job; it is something I do for fun. For me, fun is dressing up, pitching in to help,shooting, and seeing improvement in my scores and performance from week to week.

As with everything, your personal mileage may vary but, having been to other places and done other things, I find this is what works for me.

-Lefty

I have to defend Phantom on his reply. When one signs up for a shooting class, Its to improve their shooting.

Not necessarily. I guess you missed the part where I said it was to improve my gun handling. I've generally followed the principle that you take all the training you can get, regardless of whether you plan to use it, directly. Everybody said this was a good course, and it was. OTOH, I made plain right up front that I was not taking the class to increase my competitiveness. I've also taken RO1 and RO2 courses, not because I wanted to be an RO (I don't - I generally work the un/loading table), but because I wanted to become as familiar with the workings of the sport as I could. At the moment, I'm thinking about taking some gunsmithing courses, not because I want to be a gunsmith or even so I can do my own repairs, but so I'll be more familiar with the workings of my firearms.

Hey BB,

I wasn't trying to take you to task with my comment, merely trying to point out that absent some type of empirical data comments about 'All people do this' or 'Most people feel that' are presumptuous at best or flat out wrong at worst.

I don't 'know' why most people engage in CAS, but I suspect it's because they enjoy it (it's fun). Some find fun in the competitive aspect, some in the costuming, some in the camaraderie, etc. I therefore can't agree with the thread title as it makes no sense, it assumes that shooting for the competitive aspect isn't fun. If that were true why are those interested in competition doing it? For the Cadillac?

Hey BB,

I wasn't trying to take you to task with my comment, merely trying to point out that absent some type of empirical data comments about 'All people do this' or 'Most people feel that' are presumptuous at best or flat out wrong at worst.

No problem, and your comment is generally correct. In the context of what I was saying, though, it think most people really are conflicted about that subject. I don't want to get into specifics here for fear of a derail.

What I object to is the assumption made in that statement that "competing" and "having fun" are somehow mutually exclusive..

I am extremely competition minded.. but don't you dare suggest I'm not having a whole ton of fun!!

^ This

it CAN BEE, fun to compete

And this ^

If there was no competition aspect to SASS I wouldn't be a memeber. I'm here for the competition. Why? Because that's my idea of fun. If I just wanted to shoot I could go out in the desert and do that from sun up to sun down. Yee ha, big deal. :blink: It's the element of competition that makes this so much fun for me. Yes, the great people and other assorted frivolity make it the best competition I've ever participated in but the bottom line is, I'm here to have fun...........................by competing. ;)

Hi Brother Fillmore,

It doesn't bother me too much (compared to some other things on the wire). :rolleyes:

I do see the silliness of it. Epecially when combined with things like Larson mentioned. The thing that really bothers me is when folks try to force others to do things their way or shame others for the things they find fun.

I'm not very good in the competitive part; but, I do want to shoot smooth, clean, and as fast as I can. I was so thrilled last month when I came out in the top half for the first time in seven years. :D WOW! :D Now, that was more FUN shooting than I've had in a long time. :o:blush:

So, I have no illusions about my competing or not. As, I'm not very good at being competitive, I try to go a little farther than the minimum with costuming to make up for my lack of skill in shooting. Besides, I like to sew. Another aspect of our sport I focus on in lieu of shooting well is meeting and making friends with new people at every annual match I attend.

To each his/her own. Have fun in your own way and don't let others who like different things spoil your fun.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Ha! That's funny...

Here's a concept that's really going to be hard for you to grasp: EVERYONE IS IN IT FOR THE FUN! So why respond with "I'm in it for the FUN"...like...duh!!!

I've been in it a relatively long time...traveled a lot...so, perhaps my opinion should be weighed more then yours...oh, and you are a bleeding heart liberal wacko...

That one sentence (or similar verbage) bugs me more than any other I've read on the Wire. What about you?

Fillmore

Just have fun! Life is short, enjoy it while on this side of the dirt......

I no longer feel any need to compete with anybody but myself. So actually, it is very accurate in my case.

I just don't understand people that cannot understand that...

See, I have shot competitively for over 30 years in one discipline or anopther, doing very well. Governor's 20 once and President's 100 once at the top of the list with mant First, Second and Third Place finishes in Match Master Class at local levels. 26 years of qualifying Expert on both Rifle an d Pistol while in The Corps and 2 years qualifying Distinguished Expert.

I come now for the Giggles And Grins.... That is why I shoot only The Holy Black.. Plus it allows me opportunities to convert a few heathen smokeeeeeless shooters to The Darkside.... I have never been to a single match where some new or even an older shooter either came up to me and complimented me on the SMOKE! FLAMES! ans BOOM!!! But some even damned me for the same....lol

I guess we are all different and get out of this game what we put into it. If you come out to have fun and you don't, shame on you. If you come out to win and you don't, it could bve that you stink or aren't as good as you think you are or unable or unwilling to put what it really takes to be a speedshooter and runner like the real champions. So in reality, no excuses....

Smithy, Why would we want to break SASS down into classes like skeet? We already have a ton of age based and shooting style classes. I shoot for fun, to compete and to have another excuse just for shooting. If Red River Ray or Marshall Harland Wolf are on my posse, as they often are, I get to see some of the best in action, which to me is very enjoyable. When I started, Ray was one of the first people I saw shoot a stage and I thought "My God, does everybody shoot that fast?". But he and all the other fast shooters I've shot with will gladly give advice, pointers and generally help any way they can.

For me, fast, competitive shooters ( I'm not one) GREATLY improve SASS, most are great ambassaduers for our sport and they are the ones the spectators come to see. I think I'm like most folks, I shoot SASS for fun, but don't think for a minute there's not a cowpoke or two at a match that I'm not trying to beat. If I want to be better, I probably got to put the work into it those fast folks have, they have a ton of talent, but they have to hone it, too....

I second the above about not wanting Classes like in skeet ,,,, I did that Too ....

And I met more than my fair share of "Sand Baggers" that really should be shooting in a higher class ,,,,,, but through score manulipulation using "throw-a-way" matches and shooting below their skill level till they are at a match they deem to count ...

Then Bang they Suddenly Shoot better .....

Jabez Cowboy

I've been in it a relatively long time...traveled a lot...so, perhaps my opinion should be weighed more then yours...oh, and you are a bleeding heart liberal wacko...

So, how long do you have to be in it to know how everyone thinks? BTW, that's a claim I didn't make here, but you did.

There's a rule of thumb that says you know when a person is no longer able to make logical arguments: he either starts name-calling or swinging his fists.

And I'm still better-looking than you are. :lol:

Guest Jess Money

I fell in love with the Cowboy Action Shooting sport the first time I visited a match in Amite, LA last March and watched the Bayou Bounty Hunters in action. The following weekend I went to Mendenhall, MS and watched the Mississippi Peacemakers shoot while a storm raged and rain obscured many of the targets. Once again I felt I had come to a place where I would enjoy myself, regardless of the weather. It took quite a while to add to my inventory and I was able to get some reasonable deals on both new and used guns. Without any plans I built my cart based on what I had seen at the matches but made it a good bit smaller to fit my small truck bed. When I was finally ready to participate, I was treated with the utmost respect as a new shooter and was guided through my first match by Galvez at the Amite range. I was nervous but cleaned my first stage. Silly me! I thought because I cleaned the first one I could clean 'em all! NOT! It didn't bother me that I came in next to last and it really still doesn't bother me when I come in somewhere close to the tail end of a match, I'm having fun! And I tell you what. The more I shoot the better I get. Although I may never be as fast as Macon A Longshot, Parson Delacroix, Galvez, Goofus McCooter and many, many others or win a buckle or be top dog at EOT, that doesn't really matter. I totally enjoy the action going on around me and doing duty as spotter, keeping the score book and any other job I can be involved with. The more I participate, the more fun I have! The entire experience is satisfying to me and I enjoy listening to the stories of the more seasoned CAS pards and their exploits over the years. It's a real joy to be around these guys and ladies because they, too, enjoy shooting as much as I do. Those who are dead serious about winning and don't, are also gracious when they fail to achieve first place or shoot for time as well as they thought they should have. When the match is over, it's all about next time and tne next match. Grins and backslaps, handshakes and shoulder taps are all part of the fun. I'm happy with the way it is and like I said, I am getting a bit better with every match. What more could I ask?

I've been away from the wire long enough that I forgot how funny Phantom's sarcasm is. :lol:

Why do some folks feel the need to separate fun and competition? Really? <_< . The one thing I do find...... ummmm....interesting.... is that when there is a non-joking hack or a cut (and you can usually hear it in one’s tone) it's always one-way directed- at those who like to compete. I'm just sayin....

Thank goodness everyone is not like "you" whatever side of the coin you're on. There are both extremes from the lightning fast to the slow with the biggest puff of smoke and all in between. THAT is why this game is so great. Don't begrudge someone because they are quick and having fun.

I'm nobody but go ahead and call me a "gamer" because I do look for ways to improve my shooting,transitions, and time. And I GAURANTEE YOU I'm having more freaking fun than anyone else on the range. :P:D

...Grins and backslaps, handshakes and shoulder taps are all part of the fun. I'm happy with the way it is and like I said, I am getting a bit better with every match. What more could I ask?

HUGS! :lol:;)

Seriously, good post Jess. It is so good to hear from a newer shooter who is loving the same things many of us love about the sport.

Regards,

Allie Mo Hugs!

I honestly believe that if this game only consisted of competititors that it would die! If EOT were only for competitors it would die too.

Cheyenne, yes I'm competitive, but I know plenty who shoot for fun, Culpepper

+1. If this weren't true, one would have to wonder why so many shooters participate in events where they have little chance of a trophy. EOT is similar to the Bay to Breakers race in that regard. Takes all kinds.

Archived