SASS Wire Forum

I don't do this to compete, I do this to have fun.

That one sentence (or similar verbage) bugs me more than any other I've read on the Wire. What about you?

Fillmore

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm competitive against myself the most. However I am having fun finding myself to be more competitive with others. It's fun regardless of where I place... but more exciting when I place well :D

GG

That one sentence (or similar verbage) bugs me more than any other I've read on the Wire. What about you?

Fillmore

how about this Fillmore. I gave up the competion part of SASS and just shoot to put lead down range :lol::D :D

Fillmore

It doesn't bother me if someone doesn't want to be competitive. Just don't judge those that do. People that SAY stuff like that are usually in denial or making excuses.

Not a bit.

Because it's a statement that applies to me..If I took the time and effort one has to put in to becoming a top shooter, it would no longer be fun, it would be a job..I do a job to make money, not to have fun.

I've caught meself sometimes getting both amused and annoyed at some of the "gamer" Pards I shoot with, agonizing over losing a tenth of a second, scrutinizing everyone else's scores to see who's running fastest, spending an entire match trying to figure out ways to get an edge..

Then I remember different folks like to play the game different ways.."Different strokes for different folks"..Which is part of what makes CAS so much FUN..

I started to get into the competitive mindset a bit, I got really hung up on shooting clean matches for awhile..Then I realized one day I was losing interest in the game..So I let it go, started going to matches with two goals:

1-Be safe

2-HAVE FUN!

And ya know what? I got interested in the game again..And actually started shooting better!

It does feel good to get a first place award, or one for a clean match..And I have got both, more than once (Of course, I usually place first only when there's no one else shooting in my category! :lol: )..But that's not why I shoot..The one that means the most to me was when the High Country Cowboys awarded me the "Spirit Of The Game" award two years ago at the annual match..I was truly honored and humbled by that one..

Edit-I do compete with meself, and I love to improve my shooting skills, particularly with the pistolas..But I want to have fun with it, and I can't think of a better way than CAS! :D

This game is what you make out of it and some folks just like to dress up and shoot guns for the fun of it. Maybe they just want to be one of those cowboys that was on TV. They may just like shooting guns and SASS give them a place to do this. You don't have to be competetive to compete in this sport. People that are competetive are having just as much fun doing there thing as well as the others. Why doesn't everyone accept that fact and move on.

Yeah, it bugs me, along with all the variations on it. The reason that it bugs me is that it implies that the source is biased against those that have fun competing with themselves and their pards. It's an attitude issue.

We all play this game for fun. The reasons it's fun are our own.

It doesn't bother me if someone doesn't want to be competitive. Just don't judge those that do. People that SAY stuff like that are usually in denial or making excuses.

Sorry I’m one of those that don’t give a crap if you even turn the damn timer on. I shoot because I love the guns and the people

And no I’m not making excuses or in denial. I just boxed up and pitched 6 boxes of trophies and plaques left over from the old days when I did compete. I shoot to relieve stress not cause it

I shoot to have fun. I shoot Blackpowder 'cause it is more fun (to me). I cast my own bullets and reload my own ammo 'cause it makes it more fun for me. I bring my wife along so it can be fun for both of us. And I am teaching my kids to shoot so they can have fun also. I do NOT go to a shoot to compete. If I wanted to COMPETE I would shoot a smaller smokeless caliber, practice, practice, practice. And spend more time and money than I have and ruin it for myself. And if that bugs you, too bad, I don't go to shoots to make you happy. But I also won't complain if you beat me either, as long as you follow the rules.

Sorry I’m one of those that don’t give a crap if you even turn the damn timer on. I shoot because I love the guns and the people

And no I’m not making excuses or in denial. I just boxed up and pitched 6 boxes of trophies and plaques left over from the old days when I did compete. I shoot to relieve stress not cause it

I didn't mean to imply that everyone that chooses to just relax and shoot is "making excuses and in denial". I shoot with some great guys that have a laid back attitude. My statement was aimed at those who make statements to anyone that will listen similar to the original post.

Yes, there are some who definitely shoot for the sheer joy of shooting. They are the ones who carry on a conversation with the TO while shooting. If they have a miss they will turn to the spotters & say "diga catch that one ? Just a leeetle outside " It is fun to watch them ! I won't mention el Rio Rojo's name, but I really get a kick out of shooting on a posse with him ! He thoroughly enjoys the game......

I honestly believe that if this game only consisted of competititors that it would die! If EOT were only for competitors it would die too.

Cheyenne, yes I'm competitive, but I know plenty who shoot for fun, Culpepper

I agree with Slim; I do not truly care about the timer. You know when a stage feels right and you have done everything as well as possible without looking at the timer. I shoot CAS, just as I shot IPSC and DCM matches, to enjoy the guns that I own and become as effectively proficient with them as possible. Effective means that I do not super-tune my guns to the point that they are choosy about primers or unusable as field or defense guns. My goal in IPSC was to obtain Class B shooter in as many divisions as possible, showing a proficiency above 60% of other shooters (not gun owners, but actual competitors).

I like to shoot original guns in CAS. I like the BP loads of 'obsolete' cartridges and making the guns sound off as fast as reasonable (quick but accurate). I win my category only when it is lightly populated, but I have improved as a shooter and will continue to do so.

I will never be a regional shoot-off person, but I like that we have a mix of shooters in experience, ability and goals. Our game has enough room for the highly-motivated, near-professional and the cowboy that shoots factory ammo at only a couple matches a year.

Yeah, it bugs me, along with all the variations on it. The reason that it bugs me is that it implies that the source is biased against those that have fun competing with themselves and their pards. It's an attitude issue.

Well said,Doc

I think everybody shoots SASS/cas for fun,why else would you theres no money to be made as a competitor.Now some folks are more serious about competing but thats the fun for them/me.I shoot with alot of folks and I dont know of anybody offhand who is not interested in scores or not interested in getting better.

AO

Fillmore

:blink:

It don't bother me at all. BTW, the people who show up and play also get timed. They competed. Whether or not they care about where they placed is of no concern to me.

So, why does it really bother you if others don't care about "competition"? :huh:

It don't bother me at all. BTW, the people who show up and play also get timed. They competed. Whether or not they care about where they placed is of no concern to me.

So, why does it really bother you if others don't care about "competition"? :huh:

Well you have to understand the silliness of the phrase.

Implies that there is no fun in focusing on the competitive side of the game.

So...it's stoopid to say that "I'm in it for the fun"...don't know too many folks that do this game cuz it ain't fun...but I'm sure that there are some CAS masochist out there.

:mellow:

Folks that say that line are generally an odd lot for two reasons. First, the statement implies exclusiveness between the two. SASS is the best example of the silliness of that idea. The second odd thing is how few of them let the posse know that the timer and score is not needed or wanted, just a start signal.

But hey, I am the last person to be able to look down my nose at odd.

Cheers,

BJT

What I object to is the assumption made in that statement that "competing" and "having fun" are somehow mutually exclusive..

I am extremely competition minded.. but don't you dare suggest I'm not having a whole ton of fun!! Ask anyone on Posse 29 at EOT!

As to the "I don't even care if the timer is used" comments... OK.. I believe you...

...but I ran the timer at a match that had an official "no time recorded" category...and the shooter was not at all happy when I refused to show them what time they HAD shot.. in fact I hit the button again without even looking (we started them with the buzzer as usual so a time was initially measured).. so excuse me if I might be a tad cynical about that claim from SOME folks at least... ;)

If I played the game just for the competition I would be sorely disappointed at the end of the day. 'Cause I will never be good enough to place in the top 50%, much less first. I can admit it, I'm lousy at 'pert near any sport. I never judged the measure of a man by his sport ranking anyhow. Didn't make the team in basketball, did make the baseball team, but that's cause only 9 of us went out for it. :lol: Even hit a homerun once, that was the season my batting average was .011. :lol: I could play defense pretty good in any sport, just never was worth a flip when it was our turn with the ball.

So if I irritate you because I play CAS for fun, so be it. If winning is your goal, then power to you, and I'll cheer for you at the awards ceremony. Then I'll buy you a beer and sit and chat a spell.

There's room for all of us.

I dare anyone to define a difference between competition and fun. They're not mutually exclusive.

There are some at our club who want to be the fastest. Then there are some who take their time. There is one in pard in particular who genuinely takes pride in taking his time. Good for all of them!

Well you have to understand the silliness of the phrase.

Implies that there is no fun in focusing on the competitive side of the game.

So...it's stoopid to say that "I'm in it for the fun"...don't know too many folks that do this game cuz it ain't fun...but I'm sure that there are some CAS masochist out there.

:mellow:

:lol: Phantom, that was funny and I get your explanation.

The Opening Post really does beg the questions of "what is competition" and "what is fun" and its gonna boil down to different strokes tickle different folks. Not something I plan to get rankled about. ;)

I guess statements like this first paragraph bug me just as much as the original, in that they assume each originator has some biased intent behind their statement.

They may have, but it is sure as hell hard to tell on the computer screen! We all seem to bring an attitude ("it's an attitude issue") to the wire and apply that to what we read.

No one shoots this game more than a couple times if it doesn't satisfy their critera for fun.

As Doc stated in conclusion: "We all play this game for fun. The reasons it's fun are our own."

Harvey

Just to clarify, I don't begrudge anyone for shooting for whatever reason they shoot. Nothing could be further from the truth. Costumers, percussion shooters, historians, outlaws, it's all good with me, I'm a little of all those.

It was the sentence, the statement, that irks me. The implication that those who shoot to the best of their ability, the group of shooters who "shoot against", each other every month,gamers , aren't having fun. Heck, they're the ones yukking it up after the match comparing each other's times.

Over my years of doing this, I've had a lot of different reasons.

Respectfully,

Fillmore

Well... it is a timed event..for a reason. A man much wiser than I taught me in business that if you can't measure it you can't manage it...I would venture fun is like that too.... seems to me that the "I only shoot for fun" statement works only up until the timer goes beep and then it's go..go..go in a mad rush to reclaim 40 IQ points... For me Black Powder is fun...and if I shoot fast..thats even more fun.. rather than bugged by the fun statement I get more bugged by overly competitive shooters telling me to do it their way to be as good as they are..sic..not friendly tips or advise mind you..but an attitude that you are wrong or stupid for not worshipping them...take away the BP catagories and I would probably just go shoot 3-gun...Don't get me wrong..I like the period style of NCOWS..I hope we never get where we shoot in tennis shoes. Do your own thing and live and let live. Nope... statement doesn't bug me...like the other cowboy said..take away the fun shooters and this is a dead sport. I mean if your club has 100 shooters..why would 11th -99th come back if it wasn't fun? I don't remember who won the last match. But I know where I placed.

If you have ever shot on a posse with me there is no doubt that I do it for the fun. I also have a competitive bone or two in my body....and while the warranty has come due on my body....I still try to figure out a way to beat somebody....lol.

KK

It is'nt all about winning ................ Not for me anyway ....

I knowingly Choose to shoot loads that slow my recovery time between shots (250 gr. Bullets out of my pistols at between 916-960 depending on gun used)Because they replicate the loads of Yore ... One thing that relly bugs me is when some fellow says to me "If ya toned down your loads you chould shoot faster" Seems they think I am too dumb to understand that...They can't seem to understand that I choose to play the game my way ....

If I was ever to win a match using MY CHOICE OF GUNS AND LOADS I WOULD BE BESIDES MYSELF WITH HAPPYNESS !!! ,,,, but if I have to download my guns to beat folks then it AIN"T MY WAY OF HAVING FUN !!!

Best placement at a SASS regional Shooting Duelist was 4th. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Could I have gotten 3rd. with downloaded guns ,,,, perhaps ,,,,,,,,,, would I have had more fun doing that NO!!!!

Play It your Way .... And have Fun !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Archived