SASS Wire Forum

.32-44

I am looking for info on the .32-44 cartridge.

Occasionally, I see old revolvers chambered in this caliber, and I am wondering about it. Info on the Internet seems to be sparse, although I did find some individual cartridges for sale on Gunbroker. It looks like it's a straight case with no bottleneck, but other than that, I really don't know too much about it. There also is no Wiki page. Is brass avaialbe? What about loaded ammo? What size bullets? I know RCBS makes dies, but it looks like Lee doesn't. Anyone know how many different guns were chambered for it? How does it compare to .32-20? I guess it's a much hotter round, hold nearly twice as much black powder in its original load. Is it reloadable with smokeless, or is a BP only affair. Obviously, does anybody shoot it? If so, how do you like it?

Curiosity is the begining of research, and potential new aquisitions!

Occasionally, I see old revolvers chambered in this caliber, and I am wondering about it. Info on the Internet seems to be sparse, although I did find some individual cartridges for sale on Gunbroker. It looks like it's a straight case with no bottleneck, but other than that, I really don't know too much about it. There also is no Wiki page. Is brass avaialbe? What about loaded ammo? What size bullets? I know RCBS makes dies, but it looks like Lee doesn't. Anyone know how many different guns were chambered for it? How does it compare to .32-20? I guess it's a much hotter round, hold nearly twice as much black powder in its original load. Is it reloadable with smokeless, or is a BP only affair. Obviously, does anybody shoot it? If so, how do you like it?

never heard of such a thing, but my google-fu came up with all of this > https://www.google.com/search?q=32-44+s%26w&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

looks like it was created exclusively for one revolver.

Ammo and brass haven't been available for decades. Cases can be formed from .32-20 brass that is shortened and inside reamed. The bullets are an odd size. .320 - .321 compared to most .32 revolvers which are around .312 so bullets can be a problem. Unless you are a dedicated loader pass on them. The only guns I have seen them in were target S&W's.

You might check with GAD Custom Ammunition. They've got all sorts of unique and obsolete rounds available.

The .38-44 was a .38 Special on a .44 Special framed gun like the New Service or Triple-Lock of the early 1900s. I suspect that the .32-44 is a similar example of nomenclature.

The .32s of that day were Police Positive or smaller framed guns. The larger framed guns woudl have had better sights, been more target-size frames and withstood stronger loads. There were not many laoding books in those days; I imagine that the wildcatting of loads was more common than today.

Archived