SASS Wire Forum

Dry Fire At Loading Table

Bart Solo

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

;)

well...I learned a LOT about California assault squirrel regs that might come in handy someday.

Ya never know which way this thread will turn.

^_^

Speaking of turning, which is better??? Your turn when ready, or shoot in order??? Should we make it a rule??? Is itin order from the top of the sheet down, or the bottom up???

I have a BIG opinion on that one!

Don't get me riled up

Okay well since you brought it up..

Can someone tell me the advantage of being made to shoot in a particular order?

Every once in a while one of the clubs I shoot at will have a stage where you are told to shoot all of the targets in any order you choose. You have to figure out your own order of fire. That is a cool change up for a lot of us.

I suspect the reason the order of our course of fire is normally set is to make sure the spotters don't get lost.

Every once in a while one of the clubs I shoot at will have a stage where you are told to shoot all of the targets in any order you choose. You have to figure out your own order of fire. That is a cool change up for a lot of us.

I suspect the reason the order of our course of fire is normally set is to make sure the spotters don't get lost.

I must of misunderstood. I have no problem with a stage being written in the way you referred to.

What I thought we were talking about was the order of shooters not targets.

I must of misunderstood.

You didn't.

I have no problem with a stage being written in the way you referred to.

We were.

;)

Speaking of turning, which is better???

Your turn when ready, or shoot in order???

Depends on what the posse prefers...IMO.

Should we make it a rule???

NO!!

Is it in order from the top of the sheet down, or the bottom up???

:wacko:

CL - Around here the clubs I've shot at shot in the order on the posse sheet, how you sign up determines who you follow. Some clubs skip ahead 4 or 5 shooters on each stage so that the same person doesn't have to shoot first on every stage. When cases come up that someone isn't ready to shoot when their turn comes up, it's no problem to have them shoot later in the order. Or, in the case of the first person on a stage if for some reason they don't want to shoot first they are skipped and shoot later.

I shot for several years before I ever shot a match that was 'shoot when ready.'

I don't have a problem with either way of doing it.

As I see it, the advantages to a given order are as follows...but keep in mind I am NOT saying that the same couldn't be said by shooting when ready.

- With a set order, you know who you follow and who they follow, and can attend posse chores until you see the person a couple in front of you head to the loading table.

- Generally don't get a big backlog at the loading table

- Score keeper doesn't have to hunt and peck to record scores, just move to the line below the one that was just recorded.

- I'm sure there are others, but that's what came to mind.

Like I said, I don't have a problem doing it either way. When we shoot in order, I just keep an eye out for the couple people right in front of me, and when they head for the loading table, I know I need to start thinking about it and get someone to cover whatever posse duty I'm doing. When I shoot on an 'as ready' posse, I shoot as close to first as I can, that way after I shoot I can do chores or take video or whatever and not worry about shooting the stage. Cuz if I didn't, I'd likely wind up last cuz I was paying attention to what I was doing rather than if there was room at the loading table or not. But, that's just me.

Grizz

Speaking of turning, which is better??? Your turn when ready, or shoot in order??? Should we make it a rule??? Is itin order from the top of the sheet down, or the bottom up???

Better? well, it's just plain unfair that people get to shoot when they're ready and at their best so shooting in some random order, hopefully equally dstasteful to all is the way to go. If the order that people sign up on the posse sheets (you know the ones...they always write their names on the last line or in the middle where THEY want to go, there's a plan for that. When the posse sheets are entered, print new ones with all the names alphabetized. That'll teach'em to get cute! If you have those pards who choose an alias with a Z or an A (because they like to shoot first/last) just randomize the order a bit more. It also helps if you have spies in your club who'll tell you who likes to shoot last, first or in the middle and then you can make sure they...don't. :P:P:P

I kinda like it when shooters shoot in a particular order on each stage. When you're the score keeper, it helps keep the cards in order, and you can remind the hardworking folks that their time for shooting is coming up. When I'm keeping score, it also helps me learn the names of shooters I haven't shot with before. If you have a scorekeeper that is a non-shooter, it can help them get the scores recorded on the correct card. Course if someone wants to misrecord someone else's score on my card which is 20 or so seconds less than my time, it doesn't bother me, but it sure bothers them since they're competing while I'm just shooting for fun.

The Flying Saucer Pie Company makes fantastic Key Lime pies. We just finished one this week. But Bayou Goo from House of Pies is also tasty.

Let's see if we can make it 11.

Am I the only one having insomnia? It's been over a hour and a half and no one has posted on this thread yet since my last post.

Anyplace that has that un-American collectivist drone mentality "we will tell you when you must shoot" silly NON rule in place don't get my business. If your club does please state so on the website, the annual shoot match flyer and everywhere else possible. As a free born American I will shoot when I want to thank you. A major match south of here instituted it one year. I griped so long and loud to all the club honchos that the next year it was just a bad memory.

No they can't because there are none. The only dis-advantage to shoot when ready is if you have a weak TO sometimes folks will gaggle up at the LT at the start of a stage. I cannot comprehend why folks like to stand in a line of 8 with their long guns on their toes leaving the other 4 to do all the work. If more than 3 or 4 are at the LT I will launch into a harangue if not an outright tirade.

I must of misunderstood. I have no problem with a stage being written in the way you referred to.

Oh, that shooting order. Now I understand.

In the immortal words of Emily Litella,

"never mind." :D:D

In order, when ready, it doesn't really matter to me as long as I get to shoot. Most places around here seem to shoot in order, but I like disorder once in awhile.

Plenty of Key Lime Pie to go around after the fireworks last night!

Hi Complicated Lady,

Lorelei listed some reasons folks like to go in order.

Here is the way we usually do it at monthly matches. Everyone has an individual sheet. Once names are called out, the posse leader asks if you'd like to move to a different location in the order than was read. Usually folks who run the timer are spaced apart as are folks sharing guns. Someone will be placed next to a newbie. Then the PM will ask if you want to drop two or stay in that order. We usually stay in order as we are placed where we want to be.

I used to like to go second or third all of the time. Now I don't care and just stay where I end up. Hey, I might shoot better if I changed. :unsure:

If anyone has any reason to not want to go in that order at any time (pottie, not ready...), we let them. Usually, that is just for one stage, then they go back to the order or permanently move to the new location.

I like to think of it as "ordered flexibility" or "flexible order."

What I really hate about this topic is the name-calling that ensues when folks say they like to go in order! :rolleyes: If you don't like something, state why without the name calling! (This is not directed at you CL as I don't remember you doing this.)

Regards,

Allie Mo

Going in order I guess depends on the club - usually the few clubs that I have experienced there is no particular order. Posse duties get taken care of, folks aren't pressured to shoot, and it works out fine.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

When I'm run'n the timer, I call out the shooters name to the scorekeeper ;)

Most of us have name tags. When I keep score, if I don't know the shooters "name" I ask B)

We shoot in any order we want and have no issues doing this.

LG

So the score people doesn't have to learn everyone's name. (It can really get screwed up this way)

If corn oil is made from corn and grape seed oil is made from grape seeds --- what is baby oil made from ??

If "progress" is moving ahead then "congress" must mean moving backward.......seems correct to me :)

Does anyone even know WHAT this thread is about anymore? A new shooter reading this is going to think, "those folks are nuts!"

Does anyone even know WHAT this thread is about anymore? A new shooter reading this is going to think, "those folks are nuts!"

:lol: ...it's a start :P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Its the heat I tell ya! Its 106 in Nashville today and the humidity is making it feel like 130

102 here with a 106 real feel.....:wacko: I remember the heat in East Texas mixed with the humidity ~ OUCH!...Michiganderland can get bad but not bad like the South!

GG ~:FlagAm:

Its the heat I tell ya! Its 106 in Nashville today and the humidity is making it feel like 130

75 here, the humidity makes it feel like 70 though. A fine day for sailing, if I had a sailboat and a nice lake to put it on.

Archived