SASS Wire Forum

Dry Fire At Loading Table

Bart Solo

Could this make it 8 pages....YES!!

Interesting post Stan....I haven't see that before. And yes the word pistol is used many times in it.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not take a look at his patent......

http://www.google.co...epage&q&f=false

The word "Pistol" is used many times.......

Stan

Well makes sense - it was the first revolver (or pistol with 'revolving cylinder' :D ) so the term 'revolver' obviously caught on later..

Sam Colt might have used the both terms eventually at one point, if not on paper maybe in conversation - who the hell would know :lol: ...maybe in heaven we can get the answer.

not to get OT :lol: :lol: :lol: , but here is a pic of a incredible pepperbox:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_59GYpEVAu0U/TCb84S4_BTI/AAAAAAAAANw/AVbjCqrZ3iM/s1600/24-barrel_pepperbox.jpg

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Why not take a look at his patent......

http://www.google.com/patents?id=bNI_AAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

The word "Pistol" is used many times.......

Stan

Good find.

Sam Colts Patent describes how he 'improved' upon the Rifle, gun, pistols. He did use the word pistol but in the contents he was improving it. He had to say pistol because that was the only handgun nominclature??? at the time for a handheld gun/firearm. It would be like Henry Ford(or the inventor of the automoble) talking about improving the bicycle by adding two more wheels and a motor to make an automoble or horseless carrage or whatever he choose to call it. Henry Ford or whomever, basically had to say bicycle sometime in his patent but that would need research to verify.

So, after something has been majorly modified to a new item, do you keep the old nominclature? Do we call any motorized multi wheeled (more than 2wheels) a bicycle? People seem to want to with revolvers/pistols.

Just a thought.

Good find.

Sam Colts Patent describes how he 'improved' upon the Rifle, gun, pistols. He did use the word pistol but in the contents he was improving it. He had to say pistol because that was the only handgun nominclature??? at the time for a handheld gun/firearm. It would be like Henry Ford(or the inventor of the automoble) talking about improving the bicycle by adding two more wheels and a motor to make an automoble or horseless carrage or whatever he choose to call it. Henry Ford or whomever, basically had to say bicycle sometime in his patent but that would need research to verify.

So, after something has been majorly modified to a new item, do you keep the old nominclature? Do we call any motorized multi wheeled (more than 2wheels) a bicycle? People seem to want to with revolvers/pistols.

Just a thought.

Actually the patent I put in my first post was an improvement on his previous patent.......he already had a patent for a "Revolving Gun" .... here it is

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Jy0qAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

in his improvement patent he refers to fig.11 as a sectional view of a pistol not a revolving gun.......I think it's safe to say that they were called "pistols" by most everyone of that era.......

Stan

Actually the patent I put in my first post was an improvement on his previous patent.......he already had a patent for a "Revolving Gun" .... here it is

http://www.google.co...epage&q&f=false

in his improvement patent he refers to fig.11 as a sectional view of a pistol not a revolving gun.......I think it's safe to say that they were called "pistols" by most everyone of that era.......

Stan

...sure 'pistol' was used first and more frequently, but the term 'revolver' caught on eventually and by the time 1865 came it was put into play by some during the old west time too.

...sure 'pistol' was used first and more frequently, but the term 'revolver' caught on eventually and by the time 1865 came it was put into play by some during the old west time too.

not doubting that at all........

Stan

not doubting that at all........

Stan

:D were on the same page - here is an 1873 advertisment for a Remmie

what's neat is that it's for a Belt 'Revolver' but on the side it says "same 'pistol' for loose ammunition 50 cts less' :)

Well makes sense - it was the first revolver (or pistol with 'revolving cylinder' :D ) so the term 'revolver' obviously caught on later..

Sam Colt might have used the both terms eventually at one point, if not on paper maybe in conversation - who the hell would know :lol: ...maybe in heaven we can get the answer.

not to get OT :lol: :lol: :lol: , but here is a pic of a incredible pepperbox:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_59GYpEVAu0U/TCb84S4_BTI/AAAAAAAAANw/AVbjCqrZ3iM/s1600/24-barrel_pepperbox.jpg

+1. The term pistol came first, so the moniker revolver had to be invented to distinguish that type of firearm, just like semi auto came later than revolver. So, they are all pistols, but not all pistols are also revolvers or semi autos.

And my semi auto is a hybrid :lol:

Bart -

Please consult me before you start another thread and cause the Interweb to spin dangerously off kilter.

I will save you/us/everyone a ton of time and get you an answer PDQ.

Your pard,

KC

What, and miss all this fun??? :lol:

And, what kind of "motor" do ya have in your car? :lol:

A good one........so far, thanks for asking

And you............?

Wyatt

PS: It can carry a whole poo load of pistols

A good one........so far, thanks for asking

And you............?

Wyatt

PS: It can carry a whole poo load of pistols

My truck is powered by a gas powered internal combustion engine. To each his own on the poo load of pistols or revolvers :D ...and whether they wish to call their automobile propulsion system a motor or engine... ;)

Will this thread see 9 pages???

LOL!

GG

Will this thread see 9 pages???

LOL!

GG

I'm betting its got the legs for it.

Which reminds me I once knew a girl named Louise.....she was French Canadian

sorry I'm back now.....great legs :wub:

Wyatt

I'm betting its got the legs for it.

Which reminds me I once knew a girl named Louise.....she was French Canadian

sorry I'm back now.....great legs :wub:

Wyatt

Yup...I like great legs...even with wine :)

GG

Guys, I can't get over thinking about a French Canadian with legs? :wub: Was she a hocky player? :rolleyes:

knowing Wyatt, she was probably tall and had a job with the circus teaching monkeys how to do tricks on a 50 foot flag pole..... :lol:

O.K., its time I officially end this discussion and here is the answer: Its PISTOL !

Have you ever heard your buddy talk about a girl he met at the local club and referred to her as 'Hotter than a $2 revolver? NOPE

She's hotter than a $2 pistol.

And now you know the rest of the story!

..........Widder

And, what kind of "motor" do ya have in your car? :lol:

Motor = Electric

Engine = not electric

I'm a bit lost on whether a squirrel on a wheel would be considered an engine...but I know it wouldn't be a Motor.

Simplistic...yea...but hey, what do you expect?

:FlagAm:

What do internal combustion engines, squirrels, long legged French Canadian girls and pistols have to do with this topic.........EVERYTHING.

I was out on a date with a long legged French Canadian girl, driving a internally combusted engine automobile, when a squirrel (who didn't have long legs) ran out in front of me. Needless to say, the squirrel should have been a little faster or the car should have been a little slower.

Oh, the pistol.........it was in the glove box. Ever wonder why it is called a glove box? Does anyone really put gloves in it?

CS

Bart

To answer your question I don't remember playing any hockey............just a lot of body checking

Widder, I knew you couldn't keep it strait that was Cheryl.......Lousie had blonde hair

Wyatt

I just discovered that my entire executive staff has gone on vacation for the rest of the week. Not much will get done tell next week. I think I will go shooting.

Strange holiday though. Usually around here firecrackers are already going off on the third, but it has been strangly silent. I guess as dry as it has been people are afraid of starting wildfires. Wonder what tomorrow is going to bring.

Motor = Electric

Engine = not electric

I'm a bit lost on whether a squirrel on a wheel would be considered an engine...but I know it wouldn't be a Motor.

Not so fast there Phantom. What if the wheel the squirrel was on was connected to a generator and that generator was powering a different wheel via an electric motor? B)

Motor = Electric

Engine = not electric

Soooooo.............if you have a Motor Home it doesn't run on petroleum products?

And a diesel locomotive runs on electricity...........who's having Key Lime Pie for the 4th?

Wyatt

Soooooo.............if you have a Motor Home it doesn't run on petroleum products?

And a diesel locomotive runs on electricity...........who's having Key Lime Pie for the 4th?

Wyatt

Actually it does. The diesel engines power generators which produce electricity for the electric motors which propell the locomotive. :wacko:

Wyatt

Oh man, I hesitate to join this thread at such a late date.....,but I will! :)

Key Lime Pie! Yes, we are having some! Almost always do on the 4th.

Archived