SASS Wire Forum

Dry Fire At Loading Table

Bart Solo

Dfinition of a weapon from the internet:

weapon, arm, or armament is a tool or instrument used in order to inflict damage or harm to living beings—physical or mental—artificial structures, or systems. In human society, weapons are used to increase the efficacy and efficiency of activities such as hunting, crime, law enforcement, and warfare.

Weapons are employed individually or collectively. A weapon can be either expressly designed as such or be an item re-purposed through use (for example, hitting someone with a hammer). Their form can range from simple implements such as clubs to complicated modern implementations such as intercontinental ballistic missiles and biological weapons. Weapon development has progressed from early wood or stone clubs through revolutions in metalworking (swords, maces, etc.) and gunpowder (guns, cannon), electronics and nuclear technology.

Just to let everyone know. You all got some of these here weapons?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'll pipe in - regarding guns only: always considered the term 'weapons' when the gun is used for combat / defensive purpose...

So...when is the combat cowboy shooting club gonna start up :P

anyway ~ folks can call it whatever they want I guess...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I guess I'll pipe in - regarding guns only: always considered the term 'weapons' when the gun is used for combat / defensive purpose...

Well...apparently there are some that feel as though every Cowboy match is a Combat Cowboy match...

Yea...it's kinda funny...in a weird kinda way.

:FlagAm:

LOL...

Sometimes those SG KD targets have a life of their own and just will not go down (die) when hit squarely with a blast from a 32 cal pill. Hummm, scratch that, a full fledged 12gauge blast of No. 8's. Does that count? :)

I tend to agree, the name pistol/revolver/handgun/thingie has been interchanged so much that the best is to let it go. Just smile and wave farwell.

I believe that would be called a Pepper Box Pistol,, or a hybrid offshoot of a Pepperbox, but still would be called a 'Pistol' rather than a revolver.

Geeeesh,,,, turn your back at this thread grows leggs and move upwards and onwards. LOL.

Skip the squirrel, watch out for the Beaver. Their sneaky.

Oh lord, please don't bring up 'beavers.' There known to bee troublemakers, every time their is an opportunity, they stick they're knowses in and stir the pot with there tall tails and double entendres.

The pursuit of beavers is the bane of 'man'kind.

:ph34r:

Oh lord, please don't bring up 'beavers.' There known to bee troublemakers, every time their is an opportunity, they stick they're knowses in and stir the pot with there tall tails and double entendres.

The pursuit of beavers is the bane of 'man'kind.

:ph34r:

Yep, gotta be careful around them beavers, specially the big brown ones. :o;)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I would Love to believe that but couldn't find a reference in a Goggle search. Could you direct us to where you found Sam Colt calling his revolvers pistols?

Thanks.

Google (not Goggle) is not the end all and be all of knowledge. Nor the know it all. I can't claim that title certainly but it has been common knowledge that not only Sam Colt but everyone in that era referred to their revolvers as pistols. Everyone. "you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?".

Only with the advent of the semi-auto pistol did the nomenclature controversy ensue.

Google (not Goggle) is not the end all and be all of knowledge. Nor the know it all. I can't claim that title certainly but it has been common knowledge that not only Sam Colt but everyone in that era referred to their revolvers as pistols. Everyone. "you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?".

Only with the advent of the semi-auto pistol did the nomenclature controversy ensue.

Oh c'mon! You can't use a quote from a movie made in the seventies to prove your point they said that stuff in the 19th century!!!

I asked rather nicely for a reference to your claim of Sam Colt calling his revolvers,,,pistols. I don't care if Google isn't the know all, but it is generally pretty good. You haven't provided me with a reference yet. Giving a Hollywood film screen line for proof is, well,, crap. Want to try again? Meaning, Sam Colt called his revolvers, pistols.

Oh c'mon! You can't use a quote from a movie made in the seventies to prove your point they said that stuff in the 19th century!!!

Ole Josie should have looked at them Yankee boys and said: 'Go ahead, make my day'. :lol:

..........Widder

Ohhhh...sorry...didn't know you were a drunk.

Got it!

Thanks!

:FlagAm:

Outstanding B)

Now, this entire forum has seen you for who and what you truly are. <_<

You should now stop dig'n that hole your in ;)

I'm done with ya......

LG

OK, how about this. I have been reading about guns all my long life. Studying every gun mag printed in the US every month for 40 plus years. In that time I have seen many many respected authors historians and authorities maintain that not only Sam Colt but all Americans called revolvers pistols in that era. There is no doubt in my military mind that he and they did just that. Just the way it was. Whether you like it or don't like it.

If you rannies don't want to believe Col. Colt did do that then fine don't believe it. I do not care. But there is also no doubt whatsoever to me that you would be very wrong in that belief. I am not about to go digging thru all my stacks of old gunzines to prove a fact to you doubters and nay-sayers when I am certain in my old mind that my position is right. Just not gonna happen.

OK, how about this. I have been reading about guns all my long life. Studying every gun mag printed in the US every month for 40 plus years. In that time I have seen many many respected authors historians and authorities maintain that not only Sam Colt but all Americans called revolvers pistols in that era. There is no doubt in my military mind that he and they did just that. Just the way it was. Whether you like it or don't like it.

If you rannies don't want to believe Col. Colt did do that then fine don't believe it. I do not care. But there is also no doubt whatsoever to me that you would be very wrong in that belief. I am not about to go digging thru all my stacks of old gunzines to prove a fact to you doubters and nay-sayers when I am certain in my old mind that my position is right. Just not gonna happen.

Sorry, that (remeberance of old magazines articles) doesn't prove anything either. This post falls in line with your movie line quote from Josie Wales movie. We shall leave this subject at that.

The following information is taken from the testimony given by Wyatt Earp about the gunfight at the OK Coral

I first saw Frank McLowry, Torn McLowry, Billy Clanton and Sheriff Behan standing there. We went down the left hand side of Fremont street. When I got within about 150 feet of them I saw Ike Clanton, Billy Claiborne and another party. We had walked a few steps further when I saw Behan leave the party and come towards us, every few steps he would look back as if he apprehended danger. I heard Behan say to Virgil Earp, "For God's sake don't go down there or you will get murdered." Virgil replied, "I am going to disarm them"-- he, Virgil Earp, being in the lead. When I and Morgan came up to Behan he said, "I have disarmed them." When he said this I took my pistol, which I had in my hand, under my coat, and put it in my overcoat pocket. Behan then passed up the street, and we walked on down. We came up on them close-Frank McLowry, Tom McLowry and Billy Clanton standing all in a row against the east side of the building on the opposite side of the vacant space west of Fly`s photography gallery. Ike Clanton and Billy Claiborne and a man I did not know were standing in the vacant space about halfway between the photograph gallery and the next building west. I saw that Billy Clanton and Frank McLowry and Tom McLowry had their hands by their sides and Frank McLowry's and Billy Clanton's six shooters were in plain sight. Virgil said, "Throw up your hands. I have come to disarm you." Billy Clanton and Frank McLowry had their hands on their six shooters. Virgil said, "Hold I don't mean that; I have come to disarm you." They-----Billy Clanton and Frank McLowry---commenced to draw their pistols, at the same time Tom McLowry threw his hand to his right hip and jumped behind a horse. I had my pistol in my overcoat pocket where I had put it when Behan told us he had disarmed the other party. When I saw Billy and Frank draw their pistols I drew my pistol. Billy Clanton leveled his pistol at me but I did not aim at him. I knew that Frank McLowry had the reputation of being a good shot and a dangerous man, and I aimed at Frank McLowrv. The two first shots which were fired were fired by Billy Clanton and myself he; shot at me, and I shot at Frank McLowry. I do not know which shot was first; we fired almost together. The fight then became general. After about four shots were fired Ike Clanton ran up and grabbed my arm. I could see no weapon in his hand and thought at the time he had none, and so I said to him, "The fight has now commenced go to fighting or get away." At the same time I pushed him off with my left hand. He started and ran down the side of the building and disappeared between the lodging house and the photograph gallery. My first shot struck Frank McLowry in the belly. He staggered off on the sidewalk but first fired one shot at me. When we told them to throw up their hands Claiborne held up his left hand, and then broke and ran. I never saw him afterwards until later in the afternoon, after the fight. I never drew my pistol or made a motion to shoot until after Billy Clanton and Frank McLowry drew their pistols.

Here is my whole statement ;)

http://www.tombstone...hives/wyatt.htm

Wyatt

The following information is taken from the testimony given by Wyatt Earp about the gunfight at the OK Coral

I first saw Frank McLowry, Torn McLowry, Billy Clanton and Sheriff Behan standing there. We went down the left hand side of Fremont street. When I got within about 150 feet of them I saw Ike Clanton, Billy Claiborne and another party. We had walked a few steps further when I saw Behan leave the party and come towards us, every few steps he would look back as if he apprehended danger. I heard Behan say to Virgil Earp, "For God's sake don't go down there or you will get murdered." Virgil replied, "I am going to disarm them"-- he, Virgil Earp, being in the lead. When I and Morgan came up to Behan he said, "I have disarmed them." When he said this I took my pistol, which I had in my hand, under my coat, and put it in my overcoat pocket. Behan then passed up the street, and we walked on down. We came up on them close-Frank McLowry, Tom McLowry and Billy Clanton standing all in a row against the east side of the building on the opposite side of the vacant space west of Fly`s photography gallery. Ike Clanton and Billy Claiborne and a man I did not know were standing in the vacant space about halfway between the photograph gallery and the next building west. I saw that Billy Clanton and Frank McLowry and Tom McLowry had their hands by their sides and Frank McLowry's and Billy Clanton's six shooters were in plain sight. Virgil said, "Throw up your hands. I have come to disarm you." Billy Clanton and Frank McLowry had their hands on their six shooters. Virgil said, "Hold I don't mean that; I have come to disarm you." They-----Billy Clanton and Frank McLowry---commenced to draw their pistols, at the same time Tom McLowry threw his hand to his right hip and jumped behind a horse. I had my pistol in my overcoat pocket where I had put it when Behan told us he had disarmed the other party. When I saw Billy and Frank draw their pistols I drew my pistol. Billy Clanton leveled his pistol at me but I did not aim at him. I knew that Frank McLowry had the reputation of being a good shot and a dangerous man, and I aimed at Frank McLowrv. The two first shots which were fired were fired by Billy Clanton and myself he; shot at me, and I shot at Frank McLowry. I do not know which shot was first; we fired almost together. The fight then became general. After about four shots were fired Ike Clanton ran up and grabbed my arm. I could see no weapon in his hand and thought at the time he had none, and so I said to him, "The fight has now commenced go to fighting or get away." At the same time I pushed him off with my left hand. He started and ran down the side of the building and disappeared between the lodging house and the photograph gallery. My first shot struck Frank McLowry in the belly. He staggered off on the sidewalk but first fired one shot at me. When we told them to throw up their hands Claiborne held up his left hand, and then broke and ran. I never saw him afterwards until later in the afternoon, after the fight. I never drew my pistol or made a motion to shoot until after Billy Clanton and Frank McLowry drew their pistols.

Here is my whole statement ;)

http://www.tombstone...hives/wyatt.htm

Wyatt

Now that was a great find!

The term revolver' was used before semi-autos came about:

http://www.kellehera.../630/277919.jpg

http://www.cornellpu...hp?item_id=3004

http://www.cornellpu...g&c=&a=Austrian Revolver Model 1870 Manual&h=1&n=1&x=&s=15

http://www.cornellpu...jpg&c=&a=Cooper Revolvers 1865 Flyers&h=1&n=1&x=&s=15

and there's plenty more on this site:

http://www.cornellpu...-1899-catalogs/

oh...and here's another one....

http://www.icollecto...3_3169_1_lg.jpg

Eight. Eight. Do I hear eight. Come on, somebody give me eight.

Boon, who really want's the turn this thread into a reasonable discussion of Rank vs Total Time scoring, Doggle

The term revolver' was used before semi-autos came about:

http://www.kellehera.../630/277919.jpg

http://www.cornellpu...hp?item_id=3004

http://www.cornellpu...g&c=&a=Austrian Revolver Model 1870 Manual&h=1&n=1&x=&s=15

http://www.cornellpu...jpg&c=&a=Cooper Revolvers 1865 Flyers&h=1&n=1&x=&s=15

and there's plenty more on this site:

http://www.cornellpu...-1899-catalogs/

oh...and here's another one....

http://www.icollecto...3_3169_1_lg.jpg

Not that I want to drag this morphed thread on any further, but I believe that in the day there was a side by side use of the term "pistol" referring to handguns including yes, "Revolvers". They had single shot's and Derringer's of two shots and as mentioned pepper box's of multiple shots all referred to as "pistols" and that was used interchangeably with the term "handguns". Just look at the previous quote from the OK Corral and its use of the term. Smithy.

Not that I want to drag this morphed thread on any further, but I believe that in the day there was a side by side use of the term "pistol" referring to handguns including yes, "Revolvers". They had single shot's and Derringer's of two shots and as mentioned pepper box's of multiple shots all referred to as "pistols" and that was used interchangeably with the term "handguns". Just look at the previous quote from the OK Corral and its use of the term. Smithy.

Sounds fine with me - not disputing that....just pointing out that indeed the term revolver was also used back in the day...

Outstanding B)

Now, this entire forum has seen you for who and what you truly are. <_<

You should now stop dig'n that hole your in ;)

I'm done with ya......

LG

Oops...did I expose a nerve?

Sorry...perhaps I should have put some cute smiley's in my post...it seems to work well for you.

^_^:):wub::blush:B)

Not that I want to drag this morphed thread on any further, but I believe that in the day there was a side by side use of the term "pistol" referring to handguns including yes, "Revolvers".

I believe the terms handgun, pistol, revolver,Double Action revolver, Single Action Revolver, weapon,auto, semi-auto are all used loosely 'today' as terms of a firearm that can be used with one hand.

Clips and magazines are two other terms used to mean the same thing but in reality are different.

Old Model Vaquero vs New Model Vaquero. People use OMV and there isn't an offical firearm called that.

Trucks, PU trucks, cars, SUV, Gun-Boats and the like are terms use for something to transport people from one place or another. Get into the car could mean, go get into the F250 Ford PowerStroke.

The examples can go on.

They had single shot's and Derringer's of two shots and as mentioned pepper box's of multiple shots all referred to as "pistols" and that was used interchangeably with the term "handguns".

Well, derringers and pepper boxs and single shots are truely pistols by definition. The chamber's are intergrable (sp) to the barrel.

Just look at the previous quote from the OK Corral and its use of the term. Smithy.

Well' date=' derringers and pepper boxs and single shots are truely pistols by definition. [b']The chamber's are intergrable (sp) to the barrel.[/b]

And why auto-loader handguns are included in the "pistol" category. But, in general usage, any handgun is often referred to as a "pistol". Simply depends on the level of accuracy the speaker desires, or is cognizant of.

And all I did was relay a conversation I had at the loading table a couple of weekends ago.

Goodness, this is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started posting to it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting to it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends. :lol:

And all I did was relay a conversation I had at the loading table a couple of weekends ago.

Goodness, this is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started posting to it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting to it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends. :lol:

It's an internet thing....:lol:

Rarely do folks stay on topin these days. I don't mind...this thread has turned comical :D ...so no big deal IMHO.

I would Love to believe that but couldn't find a reference in a Goggle search. Could you direct us to where you found Sam Colt calling his revolvers pistols?

Thanks.

Why not take a look at his patent......

http://www.google.com/patents?id=bNI_AAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

The word "Pistol" is used many times.......

Stan

Archived