SASS Wire Forum

Dry Fire At Loading Table

Bart Solo

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is beginning to develop into some competition for the GOFWG thread .... :blink::lol::o

Hey Slim, is your son fighting fires in Colorado? Tell him he is in our prayers this fire season.

He's not in CO. He was working a fire in AZ about 10 days ago and got burned when the woods in front of him exploded. Fortunately nothing severe, but he'll be off the line for another week or so working at an air tanker base. Thanks for asking! :)

New item for the glossary of terms: Wet Firing is defined as the act of cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger as if to cause the gun to fire normally without bringing the gun into shooting position. :D Wet firing is equally unsafe as ...uh...a wet...uh...fire? :D

Moral of the story If you're going to shadow shoot at the loading table (which is legal), don't dry fire while doing so (because that makes it illegal.) Beyond that, you can drop the hammer on your rifle as you see fit to insure the hammer is completely down.

FWIW: I have encountered a number of folks who believe that shadow shooting is illegal. I think the misunderstanding comes from this same rule.

New item for the glossary of terms: Wet Firing is defined as the act of cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger as if to cause the gun to fire normally without bringing the gun into shooting position. :D Wet firing is equally unsafe as ...uh...a wet...uh...fire? :D

Moral of the story If you're going to shadow shoot at the loading table (which is legal), don't dry fire while doing so (because that makes it illegal.) Beyond that, you can drop the hammer on your rifle as you see fit to insure the hammer is completely down.

FWIW: I have encountered a number of folks who believe that shadow shooting is illegal. I think the misunderstanding comes from this same rule.

Isn't wet firing the same as shooting Outlaw? Might want to pick a new name....

By the by, now that we've thoroughly "outlawed" dry firing at the loading table, wouldn't that prohibition extend to the firing line thusly OUTLAWING shadow shooting? (because you're pretending to 'dry fire' a WEAPON through an imaginary stage scenario?)

HA! That oughts be good for a few more posts....only @27 more to go to page SIX. (No horse is dead enough to spare a beating.....) :blink::wacko::lol:

Shot Wild Bunch today. Dry fired the 73, the 97 and the 1911 at the LT so I guess I am a convert. The guy I was going to re-educate that it is legal didn't show. But it was VERY hot and he was probably still recovering from EoT.

Is there still an argument going on on this thread?

Oh yeah, we use cowboy and Wild Bunch guns, not weapons please. Weapons sounds so so offensive as in the opposite of defensive. Har!

Phantom and Blastmaster,

I've met Lumpy Grits and, although he takes getting used to :unsure:;), he can be fun!

Lumpy,

In that training, of which you write, didn't they teach you not to "poke the bear?" ;)

Y'all are good men so, "why can't we all get along." :unsure: Never mind, the Wire would be boring if that were the case. :unsure::rolleyes:;):lol:

Regards,

Allie "living dangerously today" Mo :ph34r:

None of Ya'll have a hair on your assets..........if we don't push this thread to truely ludicrous page numbers just to prove we as a whole are too stubborn to let this topic slowly fade into a memory that can be brought back up again and discussed in a year or two

Wyatt

None of Ya'll have a hair on your assets..........if we don't push this thread to truely ludicrous page numbers just to prove we as a whole are too stubborn to let this topic slowly fade into a memory that can be brought back up again and discussed in a year or two

Wyatt

Then best we stay on topic and quit wonderin off to other topics. That thread made it to 10k responses with the help of all.

Now, can a person shadow shoot (bring rifle to shoulder and point to each target but doesn't work action) with his real gun on actual firing line while staging his firearms w/o penalt? Question is kinda related to OP topic.

Oh, I ain't pok'n no b'ar ;) ...........I be rassel'n a couple of squirrels is all :lol:

No worries...

LG

Uhhhh...yer a Californian...and they ain't got no funny accents.

Sucks to have a couple of squirrels kick yer arse in a debate...

So now, if you have a squirrel...and you use it to attack someone...then your squirrel is a Weapon...otherwise, it's just a squirrel.

Same thing with your pet hawk...your poddle...or is it poodle...or poodel...puddle?

And certainly in your case, your pet Rat could be used AS A Weapon...but when it's just sitting there all happy and content in your lap...it's just a Rat.

Cheers!

:FlagAm:

Now, can a person shadow shoot (bring rifle to shoulder and point to each target but doesn't work action) with his real gun on actual firing line while staging his firearms w/o penalt?

Yes, but on page 33 of RO1 it says you can't. :ph34r:

Wyatt

There! What Wyatt said!!

Then best we stay on topic and quit wonderin off to other topics. That thread made it to 10k responses with the help of all.

Now, can a person shadow shoot (bring rifle to shoulder and point to each target but doesn't work action) with his real gun on actual firing line while staging his firearms w/o penalt? Question is kinda related to OP topic.

Well, he's still "pretending" to shoot, so that's sort of dry firing I would think so yep....that's a no-no too!

Uhhhh...yer a Californian...and they ain't got no funny accents.

Sucks to have a couple of squirrels kick yer arse in a debate...

So now, if you have a squirrel...and you use it to attack someone...then your squirrel is a Weapon...otherwise, it's just a squirrel.

Same thing with your pet hawk...your poddle...or is it poodle...or poodel...puddle?

And certainly in your case, your pet Rat could be used AS A Weapon...but when it's just sitting there all happy and content in your lap...it's just a Rat.

Cheers!

:FlagAm:

If'n you got an "attack Squirrel' it's probably a good thing you DON'T live in California because;

An 'Attack squirrel' is defined as an "ASSAULT SQUIRREL" by california law because they have a pistol grip (tail) and a magazine holding over ten rounds. (Mouthful of teeth well in excess of ten) They are heavily regulated and are required to be registered. Now, if you paint your assault squirrel a pleasing pastel color, remove the tail and enough teeth so's you don't violate the more-than-ten rule, you just have a plain old squirrel but it might have an ATTITUDE so.....

If'n you got an "attack Squirrel' it's probably a good thing you DON'T live in California because;

An 'Attack squirrel' is defined as an "ASSAULT SQUIRREL" by california law because they have a pistol grip (tail) and a magazine holding over ten rounds. (Mouthful of teeth well in excess of ten) They are heavily regulated and are required to be registered. Now, if you paint your assault squirrel a pleasing pastel color, remove the tail and enough teeth so's you don't violate the more-than-ten rule, you just have a plain old squirrel but it might have an ATTITUDE so.....

Hmmmmmmmmm...interesting...verrrrrry interesting.

What if'n you've got a California legal (albeit with an attitude), squirrel and you beat someone over the head with it...then yer squirrel is no longer a squirrel, but a CADOJ approved Weapon?

Well, he's still "pretending" to shoot, so that's sort of dry firing I would think so yep....that's a no-no too!

That is NOT "dry firing".

There is no rule that prohibits verifying sight picture and/or the best position to engage the targets prior to staging.

However, there is a 5 yard penalty for "delay of the game" if the shooter takes an inordinate amount of time to stage his/her firearms.

T/O will have the shooter stand 15 yards feet uprange from the designated first firing location to standby for the "beep".

REF RO2 p.16 :ph34r:

Hmmmmmmmmm...interesting...verrrrrry interesting.

What if'n you've got a California legal (albeit with an attitude), squirrel and you beat someone over the head with it...then yer squirrel is no longer a squirrel, but a CADOJ approved Weapon?

Well...yeah it'd be legal but using it like that is kinda hard on the squirrel!!! :blink:

If you shoot at your shadow...and hit someone else's shadow...do you earn yerself a "P"???

:mellow:

Absolutely. It'd probably end up as a MDQ in fact. If it was very early or very late in day and the person's whose shadow you shot was very tall, you might get by with a SDQ. :ph34r:

We are talking SASS/CAS here...

These thingies that we use in this game are GUNS

OY!

:wacko:

I

If this wasn't a forum that could be viewed by kids, I wouldn't be able to resist posting a video of a scene from Full Metal Jacket. "This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun." :D

Archived