SASS Wire Forum

Civil Defense Shelter

Subdeacon Joe

I lived in Lake Charles LA during the early 60s. We had Chennault Air Force Base there and also there are still oil refineries there. We were told our town was a high value target and the city ended up installing air raid sirens at various locations around the town. We had one on our block, 5 houses down from our house. I can still remember them testing the air raid sirens on Saturdays at noon. We used to sit on the neutral ground right under the siren and while it was being tested. One Saturday they tested it and I forgot about it. When it went off I was down at my friend's house. When I heard the siren go off I went running as fast as I could back home just knowing that we were fixing to get attacked by Russian nuclear missiles launched from Cuba. Its the most scared I've ever been in my life. Ah yes, life back in the 60s.

I remember the duck and cover drills. I had a difficult time rationalizing it at the time. After all, we were in California. Why would we be a target.......? After all, my dad was in aerospace. He would know in advance wouldn't he........

Oh to be young and naive' again.............

Stockton going bankrupt is the link I get. ????

Stockton going bankrupt is the link I get. ????

Hmmm..... I followed it and got the right piece. Try googling "Preserved Cold War Bomb Shelter Discovered At Placer High School" and you will find other links to the same piece.

Ground Observer Corps

Does anybody remember the "GOC"?? My mom would drag me to the top floor of the "Hotel Tulare" (tallest building in town) and we would listen for airplanes and report them. This was in the '50s. I did get to tour the body of a B-36 bomber for our efforts...and I think cuz my mom was dating the Air Force guy....heheh

curley

We had the air raid sirens at 2 pm Wednesdays. They went on for years after there was the slightest reason anymore for them.

When I was a young kid if anything went off that sounded like a siren that wasn't at 2 pm Wednesday, I'd get worried about it.

Everybody was a "high value" target. If you weren't, the town boosters wouldn't have liked that! We were because of Boeing, Fort Lewis, McChord AFB, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, you name it....

Ground Observer Corps

Does anybody remember the "GOC"?? My mom would drag me to the top floor of the "Hotel Tulare" (tallest building in town) and we would listen for airplanes and report them. This was in the '50s. I did get to tour the body of a B-36 bomber for our efforts...and I think cuz my mom was dating the Air Force guy....heheh

curley

Yep. "Juliet Mike one four black. I have a report." Never saw any Bear bombers or flying saucers, but I kept on looking for a couple f years.

When I worked at Chaffee HS in Ontario in the early '80s a stash of CD supplies (not in that good a shape...rats and other critters got into some of it and a lot of water damage) was found in a big room under the stage of the Spring Auditorium, and as far as I know there are still a couple of anti-aircraft gun mounts from the early '40s on some of buildings, but they were never used and no guns were ever installed there.

When I was in grade school a couple of us would sneak out and hide in the abandoned shelter. We kinda turned it into a clubhouse. We stocked it with whatever snacks and drinks we could get and kept a few "entertainment" magazines there. It was there for a few years before a janitor discovered our hideout. Luckily none of us were there at the time. Shame though, the school kept a lot of old equipment and tools in there that we turned into furniture and other things.

Archived