SASS Wire Forum

HONOR ~ your definition?

Red's post got me thinking about honor. It was a good incident, with people spontaneously honoring the World Wat II veterans, who richly deserve it.

But it got me wondering, what does honor mean?

For me, it is defined as "Doing the right thing, even if no one is looking, or even if everyone present will disapprove, regardless of consequences."

What is your definition?

buena suerte, amigos

eGG

Taking an oath, which would be riding for the brand.

Telling the truth, no matter what happens.

Not wanting to die, but willing to die if need be.

Honoring and respecting the flag .

My first answer to this question is basically "respect or esteem".

This answer came largely from remembering phrases like "honor thy father".

I see other interesting defs which seem to be more about integrity than respect.

Integrity has to do with being honest and having strong moral principles.

So I went to a paper dictionary Merriam Webster 1981. The first definition for honor in this dictionary went on for 2/3rds of the column.

The first definition revolved around "a good name or public esteem" which play nicely into my def of respect.

I start with the 5th Commandment, "Honor thy Father and Mother." From there it is a clear direction. Honor God. Honor your husband, wife, children and family. Honor your promises. Honor your elders. Honor your country, flag and the people who sacrifice their time and lives to protect our country.

I always tell my kids that honor builds your character.

Honor and respect crosses each other territory. It is sometimes blurry but it is still the right thing to do.

Archived