SASS Wire Forum

Cancer/Chemo Update

Well, my third round of chemo started yesterday. I don't know where I got the notion that there was going to be three week breaks between chemo treatments, but boy, do my comprehension skills need work! Anyways, I got the third infusion yesterday, and I have the chemo pump on for three weeks. THEN I get a 3-4 week break to recover before the surgery. That means the surgery will be sometime around the first part of August.

I'm hitting the home stretch here. Keep your fingers crossed, pards.

UPDATE, 6-27-12

I had to go back to the cancer center a day early. I was getting hand-and-foot syndrome so bad, I could barely walk, and couldn't even hold a pencil. Not only that, the mouth sores were coming back big time. They decided to take the chemo pump off to let me heal for a couple of weeks. They will then put the pump back on July 10, and I will finish the final 2 weeks on July 24. THEN they will schedule the surgery, which looks like it's back to being the latter part of August. I just hope there is not any permanent nerve damage.

UPDATE 2, 7-10-12

Got the chemo pump back on today, but was told by the oncologist that he is only leaving it on for 1 more week instead of two. So it comes off on 7-17, which means the surgery will be somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd week of August.

Gettin' closer!

UPDATE 3, 8-8-12

My cancer surgery will take place on Tuesday, August 21st. This surgery is really gonna suck, but it's a means to an end. Keep yore fingers crossed, pards.

UPDATE 4, 9-6-12

Sorry I have not posted an update for a while, but it has been pretty hectic.

The initial surgery was performed on 8-21-12. I made it out of ICU only to develop a leak (a common risk with this type of operation). They re-did the surgery to repair the leak on 8-27, but a barium swallow test on 9-5-12 revealed that we didn't quite get there. Consequently, the surgeon had to go back in on 9-5-12 (yesterday) and implant a esophageal stent (yeah,I thought they were only for hearts, too). Another barium swallow test revealed that the leak has indeed been plugged, at least for the time being. An esophageal stent is temporary and removable.

Bottom line is, I'm cancer free.

I still have a long road to recovery, and it is going to require some major lifestyle changes, but God will see me through it. Again, thank you all for your continued prayers, friendship, and support.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hitting the home stretch here. Keep your fingers crossed, pards.

I'll do that and raise ya one....prayers up for complete recovery and remission. Keep the faith brother!!

Prayers still coming for you MMM.

Prayers on da way, Matt.

Hang in der Pard. Yur orney and tuff and mean !

Chemo sucks, but it's a damn site better than it was years back. It does it's job. Good luck to you and know that prayers work and that there are a lot of pards and pardettes with you in their thoughts.

kk

Hang in there Pard. 17 years ago I was told I had a 1 in 10 chance to make it 5 years. Went thru Chemo/Rad twice....rough stuff. Keep the faith....my prayers are with you all the way.

Prayers for your strength and determination in dealing with this. Also for your family and close friends.

God Bless you in this fight.

Harvey

You have a lot of folks pulling for you Matt. That bug is tough. But I just know that you are tougher.

That rat poison is no fun, but if it does the trick, I guess it is worth it. I will do some serious knee work for you.

• 2 weeks later...

How are you feeling Matt? That chemo can make a hole in your fun button.

Actually, I am feeling okay, all things considered. To date, still no nausea (knock on wood!). I just get real tired all the time, and I stay thirsty. I don't expect to have another episode with hand-and-foot syndrome this time around, since it is for only one week. I'll just be glad to get this surgery over and done with, then let the chips fall where they may. I'm just leaving it in God's hands. He has been watching over Catherine and me thus far.

Pard I missed this somehow and I am so sorry. Prayers up from the CC camp. We are gonna lick this thing for sure. Hang in there and do what the Doc. tells you to do. Prayers up for a dang good man.We will hold you constantly in our thoughts and prayers.

CC and Miss Carol

Actually, I am feeling okay, all things considered. To date, still no nausea (knock on wood!). I just get real tired all the time, and I stay thirsty. I don't expect to have another episode with hand-and-foot syndrome this time around, since it is for only one week. I'll just be glad to get this surgery over and done with, then let the chips fall where they may. I'm just leaving it in God's hands. He has been watching over Catherine and me thus far.

Prayers up to our Heavenly Father for a complete healing, mind and body, and compassion and mercy for those who care about you and those you care about.

Through Him all things are possible.

Respectfully

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• 4 weeks later...

MMM, you have my prayers, Pard. as someone else said, keep your chin up.

~EE~

Archived