SASS Wire Forum

SAA Gunsmith question...turning down a cylinder?

Rancho Roy

I recently converted a Uberti 1873 Regulator from 45LC to 38-40. The Uberti is nickle plated and the cylinder I bought is also nickle plated.

The cylinder fit perfectly without much work in the nickle plated frame.

But when I tried to fit this cylinder into another Uberti regulator with a case colored frame, the diameter was too large to even fit into the receiver opening.

This might be from the nickle plating and the copper under the nickle? And they might open up the nickle frames a smidge because of this?

The cylinder would need to be turned down .018" to fit into the case colored frame. This isn't a cosmetic issue because I'll be "GunKote"ing the cylinder anyways.

Do you that are in the know think this would be a strength issue once it is turned down?

I don't believe the cylinder is case hardened. It is modern so I'd think it is hardened straight through?

Comments and thoughts please.........

Yes, it would be a strength issue (thinner means weaker) but that is not the real problem. By turning it down you would be making the bolt notches shallower, which you don't want to do. Frankly, for the price of the parts, you would be much better off just buying a new cylinder.

Yes, it would be a strength issue (thinner means weaker) but that is not the real problem. By turning it down you would be making the bolt notches shallower, which you don't want to do. Frankly, for the price of the parts, you would be much better off just buying a new cylinder.

Agreed and I wouldn't do it but that's just me,my not even be enough left to have the bolt engage firmly in the now reduced depth notches. Adios Sgt. Jake

Uberti used to have a larger frame and cylinder when they offered 44 Magnum. Sounds like the cylinder was made for that frame. Aside from the strength and bolt notch issues brought up above, the center distance from axis to bore may be different as well, so turning the OD may not fit regardless.

As previously mentioned, nickel plating is not anywhere near thick enough to prevent inserting a cylinder. It's about 1/10 the thickness or less that you measure as the difference.

I recently converted a Uberti 1873 Regulator from 45LC to 38-40. The Uberti is nickle plated and the cylinder I bought is also nickle plated.

The cylinder fit perfectly without much work in the nickle plated frame.

But when I tried to fit this cylinder into another Uberti regulator with a case colored frame, the diameter was too large to even fit into the receiver opening.

This might be from the nickle plating and the copper under the nickle? And they might open up the nickle frames a smidge because of this?

The cylinder would need to be turned down .018" to fit into the case colored frame. This isn't a cosmetic issue because I'll be "GunKote"ing the cylinder anyways.

Do you that are in the know think this would be a strength issue once it is turned down?

I don't believe the cylinder is case hardened. It is modern so I'd think it is hardened straight through?

Comments and thoughts please.........

Hmm, .018 meaning taking that off the outside of the cylinder or, the measurement of the cylinder from side to side needs to be taken down .018 (or .009) Ahhh...either measurement is a lot considering the part we're talking about and I could be wrong here, but I don't think Uberti would change up things like this on one model so perhaps what you have is a cylinder for a different model and the base pin hole, cuts for the hand and even the locations of the chambers might also be a wee bit different and might not line up right.

Supposing they do and you shave .018 or .009 off the outside of the cylinder....that there is a good bit of metal. Maybe a quarter to a third of the total depth of the bolt notches and that's one area I sure wouldn't want to deepen. Of course cowboy loads is hardly magnums and with a suitably poofy loads, might just work..... :wacko::blink::wacko:

Thanks for all the great comments! Its appreciated.

the center distance from axis to bore may be different as well, so turning the OD may not fit regardless

I thought about this. I measured from the bottom of the chambers to the cylinder pin bore and then did the math for the different throat diameter and it is exactly like the 45LC cylinder. I turned a range rod on the lathe to check cylinder bore / barrel alignment and it checked out perfect.

But I'm ordering the proper 38-40 cylinder from VTI..............no need to screw around when you don't have to!

Thanks for all the great comments! Its appreciated.

I thought about this. I measured from the bottom of the chambers to the cylinder pin bore and then did the math for the different throat diameter and it is exactly like the 45LC cylinder. I turned a range rod on the lathe to check cylinder bore / barrel alignment and it checked out perfect.

But I'm ordering the proper 38-40 cylinder from VTI..............no need to screw around when you don't have to!

HUH? How can you check fit etc. with a range rod when the cyl won't fit in the frame?? :wacko:

LG

Man o man. Where was you last week? I sold an unneeded 38/40 cylinder on the classifieds to a pard last week. Brand new, VTI wants 110 plus shipping, I let it go for $35. Maybe he'll see this and offer it to you.

Archived