SASS Wire Forum

.38 Super and Trail Boss

A couple of weeks ago, someone asked about using Trail Boss in the .38 Super. I said that I'd pick up some dies and let you know.

Well, today, I gave it try.

In a nutshell, nope, it does not work.

Using a 125 grain bullet and the "formula" for working out loads, the minimum charge would would not even budge the slide on my Colt Commander, and .1 grain less than the max charge would run the slide enough to recock the pistol, but not enough to eject the old round or chamber a new one.

By way of comparison, I had some old factory .38 ACP ammo which was much more "peppy" than these reloads.

Would these reloads work in an old .38 ACP gun? Well, maybe. But at the moment, I have no way of knowing. Hope this was helpful.

Oh, for what it's worth, all of the TB loads were very accurate, but rather useless. Maybe if there was a revolver they'd make nice plinking loads?

Works just fine in my 45acp, never failed to cycle. I'd recheck the load......Doc

I use it in .45 ACP too, and it works very well there, with a minimum load.

It just seems like the .38 Super can't hold enough powder to cycle the action. The reason I stayed .1 under the "max" load is because compressing TB can be dangerous, and when you are "eyeballing" the inside level with a mark on the outside, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I use it in .45 ACP too, and it works very well there, with a minimum load.

It just seems like the .38 Super can't hold enough powder to cycle the action. The reason I stayed .1 under the "max" load is because compressing TB can be dangerous, and when you are "eyeballing" the inside level with a mark on the outside, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I'd err to the side of caution also, my main goal in reloading is not to blow my face off. Must need a snappier powder......Doc

I'd err to the side of caution also, my main goal in reloading is not to blow my face off. Must need a snappier powder......Doc

Oh, absolutley. I'll prolly go with Win231, which is what I use for 9mm. I just wanted to try the TB cuz somone asked, and truth be told, I was curious myself. :)

Archived