SASS Wire Forum

!872 Open-top vs Colt 1873 SAA accuracy ?

Hard Cash

Is there any different between in long range (Side-Match) accuracy between an 1872 Open-Top Army clone and a Colt SAA 1873 style in .45 Colt?

I wanted a dedicated revolver for SASS long-range pistol side matches and I like the looks of the open-top.

There is no inherent difference in accuracy. However, there are a couple of advantages to the SAA over the open tops for long range. First, the barrel is rigid so you don 't have to worry about barrel to frame fit. Second, the rear sight on the open top is on the back of the barrel. On the SAA the rear sight is on the back of the frame. This gives about two inches more sight radius.

...Second, the rear sight on the open top is on the back of the barrel. On the SAA the rear sight is on the back of the frame. This gives about two inches more sight radius

Good reason to use a Richards-Mason or Type-II Richards conversion. Rear sight on the hammer nose gives the longest sight radius possible! :)

Personally, I use a Wyatt Earp (I guess Cimarron is now calling it the Tombstone) '73 with a 10" barrel. Now *that* is a sight radius, plus I feel like Kurt Russel.

I have a brace of Uberti 1872 Open Tops with Navy grips and a brace of Uberti 1873s.

All four revolvers have 7.5 inch barrels, .45 Colt.

For long range work, my 1873s are the better with 200 grain bullets.

My Open Tops are my main match pistols. I shoot Senior Duelist and like the hammers better on the Open Tops and they seem to point more naturally for me shooting one handed.

Don't rightly Know what you is calling "Longrange" ,,,, but I miss less targets with my Open-top than with my SAAs...

Jabez Cowboy

Long range! What does long range mean?

50 yards? 75 yards? 100 yards? > 100 yards?

Did some relaxed shooting some time ago with

2 well maintained Uberti SAAs: 5,5" and 7,5" barrels in .45 Colt/250 grainer nitro CAS loads

2 Belgian Centaure Long Cylinder Conversions (opent top design, 5,5" barrels/rear sight on top of the barrel in .44 Colt/200 grainer nitro CAS loads). Just to see what would happen.

All pistols have their chamber dias properly adjusted to rifling groove dia. The Centaures have bottomed arbors. Longest sighting range has the 7,5" SAA, shortest the 5,5" Centaures.

All 4 pistols shoot to POA at 25 yards.

Targets were cowboy hat size steel targets, firing off hand.

The longest range with the SAA's was between 70 and 80 yards. After some sighting in I could repeatedly hit the target. The shorter barreled SAA was as accurate as his long barreled cousin.

The longest range with the Centaures was slightly beyond 100 yards. Once I had defined my POA with 5 sighters aiming > 1 yard above the target I scored.

It is my considered subjective opinion in the scenario presented caliber selection was more important than gun selection.

I also feel the .44 is inherently more accurate than the .45 lead bullet.

Just my 2 € cents.

Long Johns Wolf

Theoretically the SAA should have and does have an advantage over the '72...better sights,relatively speaking and a brand new design,not a compromise between cartridge and C&B....but in reality at SASS distances, not much if any differenceexcept possibly a bit faster target acquisition...maybe.Not enough difference at CAS distances to matter.Non issue.Long Range however, the SAA wins hands down...much better sightsLong range in this instance being greater than 10 yds IMO and in SASSLong range not important in SASS except side matches.Normally..always an exception

The Powder Creek Cowboys in Lenexa, Kansas host the Prince of Pistoleers annual match (just finished).

The signature side match at this shoot is the "Prince of Pistoleer" competition, based on Wild Bill Hickock's legendary feats of marksmanship. You are shooting at silver dollar to dime-sized targets at about 6 or 7 yards distance, duelist style.

Tame Bill wins this match just about every year, using a tuned open top Colt cap and ball revolver. It is humbling how well he and that revolver shoot.

When you think you have mastered handgun shooting, try to beat Tame Bill in this match.

Good luck!! :rolleyes:

Tame Bill can be seen in action on the Missouri and Kansas SASS clubs site. That's him and his open top at the top of the page"

http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Missouri

Archived