SASS Wire Forum

Rattlesnake Wrangler on American Guns

Colt Faro, SASS #54579

Great job Colt and RW, Ya'll both looked c o o l on TV

AND, the shooting by Dylan was AWESOME. Sure look forward

to seeing the rifle. Good luck to you both at EOT.

....... crosscut

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that and thought that would make a few of the gunfighters pee down their leg.

I would have liked to see more than one stage being shot with a bit of a description of the game.

Still better than anything else I've seen there.

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, GFer's that I'm familiar with would welcome another GF joining our ranks. Snake would be more than welcome.

Alot of our Top Shooters (and previous World and National Champs) shoot GF style occasionally like Deuce and Badlands Bud. And they do it with the best of them.

PLUS, ya got GF Champions like Lassiter who also excels in nearly every style shooting there is plus he excels in different types of our firearms. He can use the pump rifle as well as the 73. He can use the 97 as well as his legendary famous 87. He also is VERY PROFICIENT in quick draw and demonstration shooting.

Fireball, down in Florida, is another top shooter that comes to my mind that can choose any style shooting and still run with the best of them.

HEY SNAKE: glad to see ya whip out both of them pistols and do alittle GF shootin. Keep it up!

..........Widder

Colt it was one of the better episodes i have watched, Dylan may have a career in acting someday, he was awesome, I know you are proud of him as we all are....way to go both of you....fantastic job....CJ

Great job Colt and RW, Ya'll both looked c o o l on TV

AND, the shooting by Dylan was AWESOME. Sure look forward

to seeing the rifle. Good luck to you both at EOT.

....... crosscut

Did they actually machine the receiver out of stainless steel or was that part of "TV" too?

Good show. See ya two in a few days. Leaving in the morning for EOT.

I too wondered - Did they actually made the stainless steel receiver?

I noticed the added "drama' on the M&P pistol when he was "worried" about getting the action job done :D Like that would take much time.

Great Job Dylan and Colt!!

I liked when Rich was giving Paige heck for only making $100 profit on the zebra gun. Seems that his profit margin was still good after "selling" the 1873 for "only" $18K. Appeared to be CNC machining for the receiver of the 1873 and the rest were stock parts and assembly. I think Paige made the deal for the S&W for $1600?(I am not sure of the final price...didnt hear that very well) That is for the gun, a custom paint job and a trigger job?

Maybe I need to UP my gun prices at my place.

And yes..I laughed at the hacksaw bit after using the high tech CNC equipment.

I still like the show...Will continue to watch.

Way to go Colt and RW. Proud of you both.

Great show!

Even better knowing the "back story" info provided by Colt. ^_^

+1

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Ouch, that had to hurt. I know from experience how it hurts when your child gets hurt.

Rattlesnake Wrangler made the program worth watching that's for sure!

It sure helps SASS get the word out to the public and it's a great sport.

I'll have to take a back seat to the program "American Guns"! A little less

theatrics and raise the bar to a higher level. After all Guns rub a lot

of folks the wrong way. Romper Room mentality and guns just don't cut it

in the 21st. Century :huh:

Hope I didn't offend anyone, honest! :blush:

Just my observations of a sport I enjoy. ;)

Rattlesnake, I sure hope your O.K. after the fall.

Happy trails

Quick Draw Grandpa 48525

The receiver they showed being machined was a '66 receiver, not a '73. The receiver they showed being engraved was a '73, but it was made by Uberti and had the Uberti markings on the tang and the lower forward part of the receiver. You could also see it was cast and not machined out of a billet. Looked like they polished all the external finish off prior to building. I recorded the show and paused it, was easy to tell on my big screen.

The receiver they showed being machined was a '66 receiver, not a '73. The receiver they showed being engraved was a '73, but it was made by Uberti and had the Uberti markings on the tang and the lower forward part of the receiver. You could also see it was cast and not machined out of a billet. Looked like they polished all the external finish off prior to building. I recorded the show and paused it, was easy to tell on my big screen.

For $17,000 and they use pre-made parts. They are not gunsmiths, just gun assembly guys who think they know what they're doing.

I know it's TV, but does the American Public know it's not REAL. I watched the show and can't remember 1 commerical selling me anything I want to buy.

Jake

I will answer about the reciever. The truth is Santa Claus actually built the reciever LOL. Figure it out from that statement. As far as the high prices on these guns... come on really??? Need I say more on that LOL ? As far as the drama with the stock goes, Well that was pretty true actually because I was there and pointed it out to them. Jon cut the stock at the wrong angle actually and I pointed it out to them. We got a huge laugh out of it at the time and gave Jon lots of grief in good fun. It was an easy fix especially since we covered the stock with leather. Oh and speaking of the custom leather butt wrap, WOW the guy who did that ws amazing!!! I'm VERY familiar with his work!!!! This is the same guy who built and gave away several complete rigs to young buckaroo shooters last year! HMMM I guess I wont say who that was because I don't want to take all the mystery out of it.LOl Now about the action work, let's see how can I put this... It was a Pioneer Super Short Stroke Kit, Action springs by Pioneer, light weight firing pin extention, Extended firing pin and light weight spring, Stainless steel mag tube, Stainless steel mag spring and follower, Polished bolt, polished the inside of the reciever, aluminum carrier, tuned mainspring, reduced power lever safety spring, removed half cock notch from hammer, set back trigger, reduced trigger pull to just under 1 pound, Cut and crowned barrel with outside bevel, barrel was cut to 17" (I know the show says 18" but I changed my mind when the saw came out), replaced front site with a 3/32 speed sight and modified the rear site by grinding it flat and polishing it. I think that's everything but it seems I'm leaving out a few things. Anyway hmmmm.... I wonder how I know all that was done so well??? I uh uh uh I mean they put lots of time in this rifle. Kurt did an amazing job of engraving and Jon and Scott did the fire blue on the screws, lever and dust cover etc. Rember this was TV folks but I wanted this gun to REALLY work well and let me tell you it's ready to race I made sure of that!!!

OK all that being said about the build let tell you what I wrote on a recent Facebook post that pretty much sums up how I feel about the show and what it's really all about. Here it is.

Forget about the money, forget about the drama and forget about the build. Think about a positive show about guns in this day and time. That is the most important thing. This show is showing guns in a positive light to people who may be on the fence about guns. There is no show that is perfect out there but I like what American Guns is REALLY about. It's about ALL of our guns. Now watch the show Wednesday night and enjoy the reality of phenomenal young shooter!!!

I hope this gives you an idea about why we did the show.

Thanks again to EVERYONE!!!

Colt

Got to say a few things considering some of the comments on this here thread so bear with me. First off, glad to hear Dylan's ok. Last time I fell off a horse was near forty year ago and all I remember is I DON'T WANNA DO THAT AGAIN! (no jokes about my grey hair and no, I weren't being chased by indians) Really glad Dylan's ok.

Do some of y'all realize how much work goes into CNC'ing a receiver like the 1866/73? The programming alone of all those compound angles, surfaces on six sides outside AND inside, plus all the little cuts for the mag tube, tang, etc. Take yer 73 apart and take a look. Can't do that stuff with a file, pards. I couldn't imagine how many hours it took just to PROGRAM the machine! That's a BIG cost factor! Now, I don't really care if Colt actually paid 17K or 7K or 7 BUCKS. Likewise I don't really CARE if the receiver they used was really a Uberti (ever think of mebbe they had to film a shot and used a 'stand-in' receiver?) and I don't really care if they did or didn't do this or that. I realize it's TV and as such (I see genies and fairies and vampires on TV ALL the time, don't mean I think they's real) they take some license now and then TO MAKE A SHOW AND ENTERTAIN but I don't care about that neither. Did they really CNC one from scratch or make it all up? I DON'T CARE, it sure was interesting!

That shooting, that was REAL. I've shot with Snake and his dad and It weren't a surprise to me that he beat that feller with a MAC. hahahaha!!!

The POINT is this show, and it is a show, showed a FINE YOUNG SHOOTER who is a credit to this sport and his dad. Showed SASS in a very positive light and just maybe, got us as a sport some free publicity. That's what I care about! (And I was VERY entertained, too!!)

Wow where to start well first off thank you everyone for watching and for all of the nice things you've said!!! As far as the rifle goes, they said we will get to keep it. We will see about that I guess. I really think they will give it to Dylan. It's not up to Rich on that. You know they feel they have to build in bent levers and miscut stocks to add a little drama to the show. There is not much reality in reality TV. I got the money to pay for the rifle from Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy so 18k worked for me Lmao!!! Really it's TV. The shoot off was real though. Dylan wasn't really even on that morning we shot the shoot off scene. He even forgot to take off his jacket and still beat him. The gunsmith Jon comes off as a bit of a butthead in some of the scenes about Dylan and that's all acting. He's a great guy and I talk to him all of the time. He's a big jokester and him and I were cracking jokes the entire time. It was really fun!!! Both me and Dylan really like him. I will say this though, he was trying to beat Dylan and he almost did it but Dylan edged him out. Of course if you considered the rounds they shot then Dylan blew him away. Jon fired 30 rounds and Dylan only 9 and came out victorious.

Did you notice the scene of Dylan on the horse? I mentioned in another thread that Dylan literally put blood, sweat and tears into this show and the horse had something to do with that. Dylan had no experience riding horses and the horse he was riding is young and a bit high strung. They shot the scene that was in the show tonight and they decided to get another take. Dylan turned the horse around and it bucked. Dylan came almost all the way off then pulled himself back up on the horse. The horse put it's head down and took off in a dead run. Dylan lost the reigns and hung on for about 400 yards before he fell off hitting face first with the horse still in a dead run. Rich Wyatt was on another horse and took off after him but couldn't catch him. Rich arrived at Dylan first and he was out cold and hurt bad. Rich took full control of the situation and held him until I arrived. Rich stayed with him the entire time making him as comfortable as possible until the ambulance arrived. Of course I was there too. The ambulance was taking a while to get there and Rich asked me If I wanted him to drive us to the hospital. We were about to leave and the ambulance arrived. Dylan ended up with multiple abrasions on his face and body as he landed in the rocks. He also got a few stitches. After we finally got back to our hotel later that evening Rich came by and hung out with us for a long time. Anyway there was more to it but that's all I want to type tonight.

We had a fantastic viewing party at our house this evening and after the show Rich called and I put him on speaker and he graciously told everyone how much he enjoyed working with us and how much he appreciated everyone watching. This has been quite an experience for us and it's all kind of surreal at this point.

Here's the thing, we did the show to bring positive exposure to our sport and our guns and so far I am happy we did and short of Dylan's accident we had a blast doing it!!! We learned a lot too! We do feel fortunate to have been able to do a show that has a viewership of over 10 million. That's great exposure for our sport.

We may be doing more on the show because Rich told me that he wants to build a 1911 for Dylan!!! We hav some other opportunities in the works as well. We want to bring our beloved sport to the masses!!!

Thanks for all your support everyone!!!

Colt

Saw the picture of the after effects of riding the horse. as a dad I never want to see my kid like that...must have been a nighmare watching that unfold. Glad he is better...Kids heal...parents get grey hair and ulcers from seeing them hurt like that.

Saw the picture of the after effects of riding the horse. as a dad I never want to see my kid like that...must have been a nighmare watching that unfold. Glad he is better...Kids heal...parents get grey hair and ulcers from seeing them hurt like that.

I've never felt so helpless. I was about a 1/3 of a mile at the bottom of the hill as I watched. We were at around 9000 ft. in the mountains. I ran as fast as I could to get to him. When I got there Rich was holding Dylan on the ground and checking him out. Dylan was just coming around when I got there. His mouth was full of dirt as well as his eyes. The back of his head was bleeding and he looked terrible. We went back to Texas and came back 2.5 weeks later to finish filming. He wore his sunglasses because his eyes were still black and you can see a scab above his lip in some of the scenes. His cowboy hat didn't fit well because of the bump in the back of his head. The scene if him riding the horse was about 3 minutes before the accident.

The POINT is this show, and it is a show, showed a FINE YOUNG SHOOTER who is a credit to this sport and his dad. Showed SASS in a very positive light and just maybe, got us as a sport some free publicity. That's what I care about! (And I was VERY entertained, too!!)

THIS!

Got to say a few things considering some of the comments on this here thread so bear with me. First off, glad to hear Dylan's ok. Last time I fell off a horse was near forty year ago and all I remember is I DON'T WANNA DO THAT AGAIN! (no jokes about my grey hair and no, I weren't being chased by indians) Really glad Dylan's ok.

Do some of y'all realize how much work goes into CNC'ing a receiver like the 1866/73? The programming alone of all those compound angles, surfaces on six sides outside AND inside, plus all the little cuts for the mag tube, tang, etc. Take yer 73 apart and take a look. Can't do that stuff with a file, pards. I couldn't imagine how many hours it took just to PROGRAM the machine! That's a BIG cost factor! Now, I don't really care if Colt actually paid 17K or 7K or 7 BUCKS. Likewise I don't really CARE if the receiver they used was really a Uberti (ever think of mebbe they had to film a shot and used a 'stand-in' receiver?) and I don't really care if they did or didn't do this or that. I realize it's TV and as such (I see genies and fairies and vampires on TV ALL the time, don't mean I think they's real) they take some license now and then TO MAKE A SHOW AND ENTERTAIN but I don't care about that neither. Did they really CNC one from scratch or make it all up? I DON'T CARE, it sure was interesting!

That shooting, that was REAL. I've shot with Snake and his dad and It weren't a surprise to me that he beat that feller with a MAC. hahahaha!!!

Well Don as always you hit the nail on the head! Thank you for all you said here. You know it really means a lot to me coming from you. We are looking forward to seeing you soon my friend!

Colt

The show was a lot of fun. Showed the sport in a favorable light, and Rattlesnake and Colt represented us well. I doubt most people believe reality shows are "real". Most probably don't believe in the Excalibur and King Arther, either. Or that old west sheriffs just shot the guns out of the bad guys hands, or that one-eyed old men could jump a four rail fence, either. But I've watched all of those things for over 50 years (didn't have a TV before that), and still do. Tonight I am watching a show about a 400 year old immortal Scotsman using a thousand year old Samurai sword for the who knows how many times? It is called entertainment.

This was a sample of a great kid and his dad having a good time doing the same things the rest of us do. I've seen how these two are together. That is reality!

We were entertained and I enjoyed the hour.

Doc.

Howdy Colt & Rattlesnake,

I enjoyed your performances on the show. Glad you were given the opportunity to experience a shooting / gun reality show. Good entertainment value. Most folks understand the difference between real life and the world of television & movies. Drama & spectacluar scenes are just part of the show. Congratulations and hope you get to do more shows.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Just got a call from Fox News and they are doing a story on me and Dylan and our sport today 1pm at the range at Thunder River!!! More Exposure for the sport today!!!!

and you both will do it with style and class.

Archived