SASS Wire Forum

Tanks!

Subdeacon Joe

Check out Murmask and Polyarny on Google Earth. The entire Soviet Northern Fleet is crammed into every little nook, cranny and inlet in the place. There are ships sunk right at the docks, and destroyers laid over on their sides. It looks like they just went home, ran them aground and abandoned them.

Lot of scrap value there; I'm surprised most of it hasn't been sold.

There was a regular market in the 60s and 70s and into the 80s for Sherman tank hulls, until they were gone. Undercarriages used for fast-track off-road logging equipment.

We will bury you!"

Nikki Kruschev

:FlagAm::lol:

I guess I'd rather see them all in a parking lot than pouring across the borders into Western Europe.

Check out Murmask and Polyarny on Google Earth. The entire Soviet Northern Fleet is crammed into every little nook, cranny and inlet in the place. There are ships sunk right at the docks, and destroyers laid over on their sides. It looks like they just went home, ran them aground and abandoned them.

No money to mothball them properly. Wonder what's become of some of their older nuke subs ...

The Russian military is just a shadow of what it used to be. From what I understand, they had to search the entire military to find qualified soldiers to man the units that invaded Georgia a couple of years ago

In contrast, Google Earth "Norfolk, Virginia" and zoom in on the navy base.

Purty~!! ^_^

Lot of scrap value there; I'm surprised most of it hasn't been sold.

There was a regular market in the 60s and 70s and into the 80s for Sherman tank hulls, until they were gone. Undercarriages used for fast-track off-road logging equipment.

don't be to sure about that Red, when I was stationed in Mannheim Germany '79-'84 there was an Army Depot in Germersheim that I use to go to all the time that had rows and rows and rows of Sherman Tanks

don't be to sure about that Red, when I was stationed in Mannheim Germany '79-'84 there was an Army Depot in Germersheim that I use to go to all the time that had rows and rows and rows of Sherman Tanks

All facing East...? :rolleyes:

All facing East...? :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know Hardpan it was a long time ago

I'm sure. We've been trying to get a govt Sherman for the VFW post for a long time. Fuggedaboutit. :angry:

Anybody remember the US Army add that started with different views of the M-60 tank and words about it only comes in one color, gets 5 gallons to the mile (or whatever), can turn on a dime, then the turret swings to the camera or vice versa and as you are looking down the barrel, the logo says but nobody fights you for a parking space. Join the US Army!

That ad for US Army has always stuck with me for some reason.

I[d like to have a T-72 tank. I'd be the coolest kid on the block. I wonder how much the tag would be.

"Hello Allstate, I'd like to insure my new tank." "No collision, I just need liability"

I'm sure. We've been trying to get a govt Sherman for the VFW post for a long time. Fuggedaboutit. :angry:

Dang UB I dunno why y'all are so snakebit. In recent years our VFW post has added a Gulf War I M60, an F4 Phantom, an F105 thud, a Huey and other displays to our Freedom Museum here in our little town. We already had a B24, a big CG chopper, a WWII half-track, an 8 inch gun SP, etc etc.

And yes a tank gets 5 gallons to the mile. Mine (permit me the possessive even tho it was mine,yours,and ours) held 500 gallons and would go 100 miles.

Archived