SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Short Stroke

I... errr uhhh. no.. My wife has 2..

The "Spur" Marlin short stroke was done by Spur... from the Shady Creek Shootist area..

He retired... He taught the busines and turned over the business to Cowboy Carty..

If ya go to the Shady Creek Shootist Website (that can be found on the SASS Home page under clubs)

it will give you contact info and a link for Cowboy Carty..

I shoot a yellowboy's.. Don't shoot her Marlins.. I'd probably get spoiled from the lightweight and ease of using...

I did asked Cowboy Carty at a match a month or so ago if he's done any of the new ones

that are out of Remington.. they are suppose to be pretty rough..

He said yes.. it takes a little more to smooth and clean them up but he has done them..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' about all the help I can give ya :)

Yes, I have one. I like the one I have but I cant honestly say I love it. It is very finicky about overall length. I use it mainly as a back up to my other Marlin.

It's a fine gun but it really hasn't taken any time off for me. I'm actually faster with my main match Marlin.

Does anyone have a Marlin 1894 with a Short Stroke kit? Do you like it, is it beneficial and who does this type of work? Just trying to get some info on this. Thanks.

There is no SS Kit for a Marlin that I have ever heard of.

As pointed out there are those that can do it. But is not a kit.

We have one.

BUT. The wife prefers her Marlin done by Slick with the Widdermatic, MUCH more than the Short Stroked gun.

Where the SS IS OAL picky. That Slick Widdermatic is NOT. Runs anything. And runs it SMOOTH.

Wife runs it faster than the SSed gun.

Thanks for the comments everyone -- Taquila -- had I know when you were at the Iowa State Shoot, I would have talked to you about it then. We have 3 marlins -- all pre-Remington -- and was just thinking about trying it on one of them, but doesn't sound like it would really be beneficial -- just going to stick with the old "tried and true."

Marshall Morris

Thanks for the comments everyone -- Taquila -- had I know when you were at the Iowa State Shoot, I would have talked to you about it then. We have 3 marlins -- all pre-Remington -- and was just thinking about trying it on one of them, but doesn't sound like it would really be beneficial -- just going to stick with the old "tried and true."

Marshall Morris

Well heck, if'n I'd known you were interested I would have done better than that. I had it with me so you could have shot it until you ran out of ammo. ;) On an unrelated note, I used the gun cart yesterday for the first time. It was great! I really liked it!

Well heck, if'n I'd known you were interested I would have done better than that. I had it with me so you could have shot it until you ran out of ammo. ;) On an unrelated note, I used the gun cart yesterday for the first time. It was great! I really liked it!

Taquila -- glad the gun cart worked out for you -- getting ready to start on a couple more of them -- Marshall

One bad thing I've heard about short-stroked Marlins....you have to reload through the loading gate!

I only and always use the gate, Marlin or 73 or 66. Satiddy afore this last one I watched our fastest local female shooter spend what seemed an eternity trying to load her 73 thru the top after kicking out a live round. Had to almost bite my tongue in two to keep from hollering out "that's what loading gates are for". Oh it might be a wee mite faster thru the top if everything goes jest right. If not it's like trying to recover from a drop two snafu on an 87. I cain't afford to attempt it. Thru the gate every time no matter what works for me.

Doan want no ss Marlin but I sure would love to have one of those Slickermatics, especially in 45ACP (hint, hint -- is this possible Slick?)...

I only and always use the gate, Marlin or 73 or 66. Satiddy afore this last one I watched our fastest local female shooter spend what seemed an eternity trying to load her 73 thru the top after kicking out a live round. Had to almost bite my tongue in two to keep from hollering out "that's what loading gates are for". Oh it might be a wee mite faster thru the top if everything goes jest right. If not it's like trying to recover from a drop two snafu on an 87. I cain't afford to attempt it. Thru the gate every time no matter what works for me.

Doan want no ss Marlin but I sure would love to have one of those Slickermatics, especially in 45ACP (hint, hint -- is this possible Slick?)...

There is no doubt you can miss an over the top reload. Some rifles take it that way better and some don't.....they really should be set up for it that's yer' method. I have seen folks mess up the loading gate load as well though. Not pushing it all the way in and locking up the lever or having it pop back out......my point is you "can" mess them both up.....it's not a one way street.

I had 2 Spur short stroked Marlins, a 38 and a 44 spec. They are very sensative to cartridge overall length. Ammo must be loaded to a not longer than spec, mine were 1.43 on the 38 and 1.42 on the 44 spec. These guns are highly modified with a custom made carrier for each gun. My experience was the had to be clean and well lubed to run the best they can. They are very fast, Duece holds all the rifle speed records with Spur Marlins. I shot my 38 for almost 5 years with not problems.

The Widdow-matic now being done by Slick McClade are very fast, not short stroked and much easier to load for. Just saying.

McKenzie

One bad thing I've heard about short-stroked Marlins....you have to reload through the loading gate!

Jack, I've had a Spur short-stroked Marlin and no one told me you had to reload through the gate, so I've always thrown mine in just like the rest of my Marlins. Maybe mine is the exception?

I like mine but after I quit shooting B-Western I bought a Cody '73.

Randy

Lacey started out shooting my yellowboys.. she always reloaded thru the gate...

Her Marlins (both SS'd) can be loaded thu the topside..

But she forgets to do it :blush:

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I've showed her.. :mellow: but muscle memory takes over...

I had a Spur short-stroked for 45 Cowboy Special and it was one sweet rifle. A bit picky to overall length, but with a few extra moments at the loading table to set up the seating die, not an issue. Never had an issue with reloading right through the side like I've always done.

This being said, I do believe the Widder-mattic is going to be a slicker feeling rifle one I get the kinks out of the timing.

I have short stroked Marlins in .32 and .38. Spur did the work on both of them and I love them both but the .32 is my favorite. :wub: They are very finicky about overall length but Blacksmith is so good at reloading, it's never a problem for me. Spur told me he is very confident in Cowboy Carty's work so I'm sure his would be ever bit as good as Spur's. As for reloads, I always toss them into the side and it works just fine.

Archived