SASS Wire Forum

Smaller targets with less speed !

Rooster Ron Wayne

I know a feller (RO /MD) that says to many.... shooters.....

"i like to place generously sized rifle targets really-really close, to watch the fast guys, jack out shells"

"that way I might be able to beat um"

geeeeeeese

same thing, only different

aint it?

:);):)

I don't know who that match director is - but I would certainly go to his shoots.

"I set the matches up with small, distant targets to slow down the fast guys."

translated means...

"I, as the match director, am hoping that this match is so difficult that folks have lots of misses or have to go really slowly. And I don't care what affect that match setup does to the slower or lesser skilled shooters."

"I set the matches with generously sized targets, set really really close to watch the fast guys jack out shells"

translated means...

"I, as the match director, am hoping that this match allows people to go as fast as possible. And if it happens that some fast shooters over run their guns, so be it."

In the first instance - the match director is actively trying to hinder his shooters by the match setup.

In the second instance - the match director is simply giving you the opportunity to beat yourself.

I see a major difference between the two mindsets.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know who that match director is - but I would certainly go to his shoots.

translated means...

"I, as the match director, am hoping that this match is so difficult that folks have lots of misses or have to go really slowly. And I don't care what affect that match setup does to the slower or lesser skilled shooters."

"I set the matches with generously sized targets, set really really close to watch the fast guys jack out shells"

translated means...

"I, as the match director, am hoping that this match allows people to go as fast as possible. And if it happens that some fast shooters over run their guns, so be it."

In the first instance - the match director is actively trying to hinder his shooters by the match setup.

In the second instance - the match director is simply giving you the opportunity to beat yourself.

i guess that we can agree to disagree

I see it as targeting a certain / specific group, either way

and I see the slow shooters are adversly effected in a lot of cases, as they start to over-running their guns

oh well

dude

it is all right for us to disagree ;)

besides

there aint .....any kind..... of match out there

that a person cant

"go as fast as they can"

as usuall, many are takeing this as either -- or

type shoots

most of the folks are asking for a good mix

not just on er the other type

geeeeese

I attended an annual match every year for abot 6 years. They had some small targets out farther than most clubs at the time. This match was held on a holiday weekend and it was generally hot and humid. After shooting this match for 4 years, I asked the MD why they didn't invest in bigger and closer. He told me everybody is shooting the same targets, what's the problem. Well, to make a long story short, I ask for 2 more years.

I hear they are hurting now and are not holding their state championship match now. I've seen this happen more than once. You can also make a big match small by doing some sweeps that make people say what the #$%##@$&** are we suppose to do. So, it's not only small and far but confusing is another way some think they will slow down top shooters. I haven't witnessed it work yet.

Blue ( who likes Creeker's entertainment thinking) Wolf

translated means...

translated means...

Not that it's terribly important to the conversation but, I disagree with your interpretation. "watch the fast guys jack out shells" is sadistic entertainment for that particular MD. I see it as him punishing the fast shooters because he knows they'll have to step over that ragged edge in order to win. In both examples a certain group of shooters was targeted for intentional "punishment". I'd bet my next paycheck that everyone in this thread would agree that's NOT the way to run a match.

Why is it that when anyone suggests anything other than big and close, it is suggested that they want "small and distant" targets? 99% of the shooters that are suggesting something other than big and close, all the time, are simply talking about "big and a few yards farther than close" on some stages, not "small AND distant". It would be just as accurate for them to suggest that the big and close only advocates want a 20' by 10' steel target at 3 yards to dump all their ammo into. Smokin Gator

I have offered many times to help set up stages or shoots but no one ever calls .

I will support the guys with help any time I am asked for my help.

Your offer has not been forgotten or gone unappreciated Rooster. The fact is that we are blessed with an outstanding group of club members who help me with set up when I can't be there myself. Beyond that we have a crew retired guys who help out too. So again, thanks for the offer.

KQ

Why is it that when anyone suggests anything other than big and close, it is suggested that they want "small and distant" targets? 99% of the shooters that are suggesting something other than big and close, all the time, are simply talking about "big and a few yards farther than close" on some stages, not "small AND distant". It would be just as accurate for them to suggest that the big and close only advocates want a 20' by 10' steel target at 3 yards to dump all their ammo into. Smokin Gator

yUp

no one is asking for every stage, in every shoot, to beeeeeee small and far

^_^ if ya r

step up and spill the beans ^_^

yUp

no one is asking for every stage, in every shoot, to beeeeeee small and far

^_^ if ya r

step up and spill the beans ^_^

I've said more times than I can count that I like VARIETY. That's probably the single thing that bugs me about this "argument" more than anything else, people feel matches have to be all one way or all the other way. Why on Earth can't you have a mix?

If you want to slant the match toward the easy side, do it. If you want to slant it toward the more difficult side, do it. But for Heaven's sake, why does it have to be all or nothing??? :blink:

Archived