SASS Wire Forum

Smaller targets with less speed !

Rooster Ron Wayne

sure couldnt that day, and they were further out than 18 yds. The stage setup was over 25 yards for rifle targets and they were 16" squares. Oh I did hit them (obviously) but averaged 3 to 4 misses on every stage. Last Sunday we had targets at 15 yds or closer and I missed ...none. Was the other match a bad day?? maybe, but it sure wasn't fun. As for my rifle, yes it IS sighted in and I regurally check it. But my point was the frustration that less skilled people can have with "challenging" targets as a STEADY diet. Thats all.

I never mentioned 25 yard targets. I can see why you would have trouble. The rifle targets were twice as far as you are used to shooting.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well thank you for the heads up Doc, I didnt realize I was dumbing down SASS and ruining your enjoyment. Perhaps I should find another sport for my family to enjoy and you can get back to the good old days...

Yes clearly, I was making a personal comment about you and your family and the detrimental role you have had (pretty much single handedly, so it would seem) on SASS and CAS in general. Despite my repeated statements that I think its good that we have new shooters and that I was looking at the arc of SASS over more than 20 years, its obvious that I was really talking about the problems that you and your family have caused to the sport.

Or, possibly, just possibly mind you... not everything is about you.

I have made no call to arms to change the state of SASS, it can't be changed. I have not said that we don't want new shooters or that we should drive away the women and kids. I simply pointed out that in my 20+ years in the sport SASS has changed a great deal and some of those changes have been driven over concerns about new shooters ability to shoot challenging stages and the need to speed things up to get lots of shooters through. Those things are facts. If you find that difficult to hear, I sure am sorry. But, it don't change the facts.

So, I hope you and your family enjoy SASS as much as I do and I hope they do it for a long time. There is room in this sport for all.

I have no problem with the format - I am definately not fast and I rarely have a clean match....and I still have FUN. ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Gunner your exactly right, the same for me! Having fun is the name of my game!

NO one is advocating itty bitty 3" circles at SASS max 40 yards. NO one. The only ones who even mentioned such an extreme about face from the current norms are those railing against ANY swing of the pendulum back the other way. Why is that? Why keep bringing up impossibilities as if there is ANY danger whatsoever of anything close to such a thing EVER being done?

ONE more time, I like 16 x 16 big ole targets. I just don't like them right up in my face when shooting a rifle. It's incongruous. Rifle targets backed up to around 15 or 20 yards is not gonna hurt attendance or be the downfall of CAS. Methinks you boys doth protest too much. Anyone that can't handle big ole targets at 15 to 20 yards is too blind to be shootin' at all.

I am not advocating this to try to slow any hot shoes down, I do know better than that nor is it some ole sorehead's effort to throw a wet blanket on anyone's fun. Far from it. I have plenty fun and want everyone else to too. It's just way past high time for the pendulum to swing back the other way just a little. Just my opinion. I am entitled to it and intend to continue to espouse it.

NO one is advocating itty bitty 3" circles at SASS max 40 yards. NO one. The only ones who even mentioned such an extreme about face from the current norms are those railing against ANY swing of the pendulum back the other way. Why is that? Why keep bringing up impossibilities as if there is ANY danger whatsoever of anything close to such a thing EVER being done?

ONE more time, I like 16 x 16 big ole targets. I just don't like them right up in my face when shooting a rifle. It's incongruous. Rifle targets backed up to around 15 or 20 yards is not gonna hurt attendance or be the downfall of CAS. Methinks you boys doth protest too much. Anyone that can't handle big ole targets at 15 to 20 yards is too blind to be shootin' at all.

I am not advocating this to try to slow any hot shoes down, I do know better than that nor is it some ole sorehead's effort to throw a wet blanket on anyone's fun. Far from it. I have plenty fun and want everyone else to too. It's just way past high time for the pendulum to swing back the other way just a little. Just my opinion. I am entitled to it and intend to continue to espouse it.

You are welcome to your opinion. You have every right to express it. Better if you became pro active in writing and setting up stages at your club.

Perhaps you need to seek out other clubs that have like minded criteria for target size and distance. If not, volunteer to write and set up stages at your club that includes a stage or two with target size and distance you deem fit.

I have yet to see a local club not include a stage or more with rifle target that were 15+ yds out.

One thing that has not been mentioned is PHYSICAL limitations at a range......here in good ol FLA there are some ranges where you can't have a rifle shot longer than 12 yards. The bays aren't deep enough. There's a lot ranges that are like that.......just because of the style of the game has changed. I started at a club that could and still does have longer shots on the rifle.....BUT.....when they are out there the targets are very big. Shooting a clean match in 2000/2001 at this club was a BIG DEAL.....we had a Golden Boot that you got sign if you shot clean. One maybe two shooters per match. We used a "bottle tree" target. Imagine metal targets the same size as beer bottles hanging off a flimsy wire wire by a small piece of chain. Once you hit the first bottle the whole frame started shaking along with the 4 remaining targets. As a new shooter back then that target was the kiss of death. Needless to say things have changed at that club......AND.....it along with our sport has grown......

I will always advise anyone asking my opinion about what it takes to put on a good match........VARIETY is the key when it comes to the shooting..........Too much of any one thing gets boring quick.

Shooters want movement, they want the ability to decide how to engage the targets on some of the stages, the want to feel like they are not repeating sequences, they want to do "cowboy" stuff on the clock....like carry the bag of gold to each shooting position (they don't want some kind of skill related activity on the clock.....anyone can carry a bag of gold.....not everyone can toss a hat on to a weather vane for a bonus), they want PROPS, they want moving targets (that aren't impossible to hit)......and the most important thing to remember as a MD/stage designer......IT"S NOT ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT IT'S ABOUT WHAT YOUR CUSTOMERS WANT!

Stan

Heres a sample of a different way of doing it.

Yawn! :wacko: If this is what SASS were to go to I and a whole bunch of others would quickly quit. I also shoot some F-Class long range when I don't have a CAS match to go, but I have never seen any spectators watching them nor do any families shoot them. I also sometimes shoot some IPSC 3 gun matches, but they are not spectator or family friendly either. Me and my family shoot CAS because it is a blast to shoot, watch, and socialize just the way it is. I never hear anyone complaining after a match that the targets were to close or they were to big. The only time I hear this is right here on the wire by the Monday Morning Quaterbacks who most proably don't even help with the side work let along run a match. If this is the type of match you what then you write the stages yourself and have your match. Then lets see how many return, better yet, lets see how many stay awake throughout the entire match! :blink: Talk about boring!

JEL

Guest Texas Bounty Hunter

What we really need is a cody/dixon or Quigley class....Only thinkin out side the box again sorry :blush:

What we really need is a cody/dixon or Quigley class....Only thinkin out side the box again sorry :blush:

I'm more inclined to think we need more folks who want something different to go make it happen themselves, and

stop asking others to change what they're doing for the complainers convenience or pleasure.

This sport has evolved in order to stay interesting to the most number of supporters, and there will always be

some few who feel it no longer satisfies their interest.

I'd much rather see new blood; younger shooters, spouses and children all happily competing at some "dumbed down"

version of cowboy action shooting then play slow small target shooting games with a few people who place that

at a higher priority.

I PLAY at cowboy shooting, and I want to PLAY with my family and friends.

If I want to WORK at shooting - I shoot IDPA or IPSC.

YMMV, obviously . . but in terms of numbers playing, this argument is not just a dead horse, it's long time picked

over carcass is nothing but a few bleached bones in the sand. The participants have voted with their money and

involvement.

Shadow Catcher

Why? Why do you think the targets should be farther/smaller?

I admit, I think they are too close at some places. However, I will only propose changes at my local clubs that I am active member of. In fact, i have/did and think they are perfect now.

I WILL NOT try to effect any other clubs setup or thinking. If I don't like the way they do things I just don't go back.

Possum

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Yes clearly, I was making a personal comment about you and your family and the detrimental role you have had (pretty much single handedly, so it would seem) on SASS and CAS in general. Despite my repeated statements that I think its good that we have new shooters and that I was looking at the arc of SASS over more than 20 years, its obvious that I was really talking about the problems that you and your family have caused to the sport.

Or, possibly, just possibly mind you... not everything is about you.

I have made no call to arms to change the state of SASS, it can't be changed. I have not said that we don't want new shooters or that we should drive away the women and kids. I simply pointed out that in my 20+ years in the sport SASS has changed a great deal and some of those changes have been driven over concerns about new shooters ability to shoot challenging stages and the need to speed things up to get lots of shooters through. Those things are facts. If you find that difficult to hear, I sure am sorry. But, it don't change the facts.

So, I hope you and your family enjoy SASS as much as I do and I hope they do it for a long time. There is room in this sport for all.

sorry to have ruffled your feathers. I must have misunderstood your "dumbing down" comment.

if i was a match director in your area i would say that YOU just volunteered to write stages. i would remind YOU to sign your name to the stages so that your name is read with the stage desciption for every posse. that way YOU get the feedback from the other shooters and YOU can adjust next months stages accordingly.

cbj

if i was a match director in your area i would say that YOU just volunteered to write stages. i would remind YOU to sign your name to the stages so that your name is read with the stage desciption for every posse. that way YOU get the feedback from the other shooters and YOU can adjust next months stages accordingly.

cbj

Yes, good advice

Tar and feathers are awful hard to get off after an angry posse gets ahold of a stage writter they disaprove of.

Poor Ike, I wonder how he is getting along?? :(

"if i was a match director in your area i would say that YOU just volunteered to write stages. i would remind YOU to sign your name to the stages so that your name is read with the stage desciption for every posse. that way YOU get the feedback from the other shooters and YOU can adjust next months stages accordingly"

Gee. That would be extremely difficult to do. Take last months stages and move the rifle targets back 8-10 yards and maybe 1 or 2 steps with the revolver. Using the same size targets as last month. What a difficult task. But, I guess, this would make for an impossibly difficult set of stages for a lot of SASS shooters. I guess you would have to set up benches, for this "benchrest" match. That would be a problem. SASS shooters can't be expected to hit a large steel plate at 18 yards, with only a rifle. Smokin Gator

Yawn! :wacko: If this is what SASS were to go to I and a whole bunch of others would quickly quit. I also shoot some F-Class long range when I don't have a CAS match to go, but I have never seen any spectators watching them nor do any families shoot them. I also sometimes shoot some IPSC 3 gun matches, but they are not spectator or family friendly either. Me and my family shoot CAS because it is a blast to shoot, watch, and socialize just the way it is. I never hear anyone complaining after a match that the targets were to close or they were to big. The only time I hear this is right here on the wire by the Monday Morning Quaterbacks who most proably don't even help with the side work let along run a match. If this is the type of match you what then you write the stages yourself and have your match. Then lets see how many return, better yet, lets see how many stay awake throughout the entire match! :blink: Talk about boring!

JEL

Sorry it's not for you. Never said it had anything to do with SASS. different game as you can see. have known plenty of SASS shooters who were tired of the same old enjoy this. Plus a chance to play with krags, trapdoors and sharps rifles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ApYp6_FgLOc

Another way to do it.

Seems SASS max distances are "Long Range" to alot of pards.

I can assure you that there was not a single frown at any of the GAF musters I've attended.

different strokes.

flame all you want.

I'll leave you to it now.

I love the sport and shooting single action guns.

Some of the old timers talk of the good old days of .

Smaller targets and stock guns.

The game has become all big targets and tricked out guns.

And all about speed.

This is starting to look more like cowboy IDPA .

Just wondering if I am alone here or any of you feeling the same :blink:

smoothed out guns, proper timing was more the norm when i started

ya almost never saw a 38 cal, all 45's

stages were written with a 1800's western theme, (yer in the barn and over the hill come ???) etc

lots of fun props (both on the clock and off the clock)

reloads, yes even pisol reloads were done in a concervative manner, yet they were done (maybe every other match)

bonus targets, usually one in a match

you shot the rope holding a real hangman dummy....... type stuff

the stages were longer, so a monthy shoots here, had only 4 stages, and lots of folks attending

less categories made knowing all the rules (per category much easier)

I think all of the shooting schools, all of the gun modifications, and the need for folks to APPER fast (dumbed down stage design, and in some cases ridicusly close targets) have certainly changed the game

some would say it has changed for the better

I would just like to see some sort of balance

from what is the norm now, and some of the "best from the past" ;)

;);)

Mike,very well said!

"if i was a match director in your area i would say that YOU just volunteered to write stages. i would remind YOU to sign your name to the stages so that your name is read with the stage desciption for every posse. that way YOU get the feedback from the other shooters and YOU can adjust next months stages accordingly"

Gee. That would be extremely difficult to do. Take last months stages and move the rifle targets back 8-10 yards and maybe 1 or 2 steps with the revolver. Using the same size targets as last month. What a difficult task. But, I guess, this would make for an impossibly difficult set of stages for a lot of SASS shooters. I guess you would have to set up benches, for this "benchrest" match. That would be a problem. SASS shooters can't be expected to hit a large steel plate at 18 yards, with only a rifle. Smokin Gator

Then give it a try, move rifle targets back your xx ft and pistols y ft . Be sure to have your name read as the stage writter when read to the posse. If majority of the club members enjoy it.... then you are a winner and then can write the rest of the years scenerios.

Sorry it's not for you. Never said it had anything to do with SASS. different game as you can see. have known plenty of SASS shooters who were tired of the same old enjoy this. Plus a chance to play with krags, trapdoors and sharps rifles.

Seems SASS max distances are "Long Range" to alot of pards.

I can assure you that there was not a single frown at any of the GAF musters I've attended.

different strokes.

flame all you want.

I'll leave you to it now.

Your words above say exactly what I'm talking about. Your point may be that there is a different version of CAS i.e. "GAF", BUT you posted this on the "SASS Wire", in a thread talking about changing THIS game ! I shoot SASS to shoot as FAST as I can, not to better my marksmanship. If the targets are to close for some, then they should pick up their speed! I doubt they're shooting clean at every single match they shoot. Our handbook even states that the recommended target distances are "never to close to miss".

It has been proven time and time again. Move the targets out to far and/or decrease the target size and you will LOSE shooters. A nice variety of distances where the average shooter has a good shot at shooting a clean, fast , match is your best bet for a match that makes everyone happy. Just, one time, put an single 8" target at 40yds on one of your stages at a monthly match and then ask what most shooters thought of it and I'll bet they will say they didn't like it for a SASS match. Attendance is everything, especially at a smaller club like my local one. (In which I run with only 2 others!) So, I will write my stages the way my repeat customers like, not in the way a few people on here say they want only to change the game for a select few. IMO SASS has evolved into an awesome sport! (not just a game). It's exciting, fun, family oriented, and a challenge when you are shooting at the edge of your ability. It is not dumbed down as a few have said. If it's to close for you and distant shots and 4 minute stages are your thing, great! Bow View has given you a new discipline that may suit you better, but stop trying to change this game.

As for your comment about "pards and long range distances", Some pards may not like it, but I love shooting long range, I just find it a little boring after awhile. I do enjoy shooting it thoe, especially if it involves shooting for distance at speed! (Can you say single shot buffalo side matches for time! :D Yeah baby, that's fun!) So, new guns, old guns, 50yds, 100yds, or 1000yds, whatever it is it doesn't matter to me, I like it. I just like the speed thing, adrenaline dump, shoot em up fast, sport just a bit more. B)

JEL

This is about the 20th time I've seen this brought up on the wire and pretty much goes the same way this thread has gone. What I'd like clarified is what is considered big and close? ie 2ftx3ft target at 3yrds. for pistol and 16"squares at 8 yards. for rife

On the other side what is considered small and far? ie16"x16" at 7 yards. for pistol and 16"x16" at 15 yards for rifle.

It does seem like most of the sport thinks that a 16"x16" at 7 yards has become an unfair and boring pistol target.

For top shooters the ragged edge that it takes to win does get thinner when targets are moved back to the distances they were in the early 2000's.

I've been fed such a steady diet of big and close targets I'm ready for more of a challenging match again.

By the way people can shoot clean on targets at sass's recommendations. For example Guns of August is about as up in your face as possible and had less clean shooters than the Michigan states match that runs a much more challenging match with targets out to distances of 6-8 yards for pistol and 12-15 yards for rifle. Plus the steel is smaller than the steel at Guns of August. Why is that?

It's funny I never hear women and children complain about target size and distance. It's always the men.

Like button

smoothed out guns, proper timing was more the norm when i started

ya almost never saw a 38 cal, all 45's

stages were written with a 1800's western theme, (yer in the barn and over the hill come ???) etc

lots of fun props (both on the clock and off the clock)

reloads, yes even pisol reloads were done in a concervative manner, yet they were done (maybe every other match)

bonus targets, usually one in a match

you shot the rope holding a real hangman dummy....... type stuff

the stages were longer, so a monthy shoots here, had only 4 stages, and lots of folks attending

less categories made knowing all the rules (per category much easier)

I think all of the shooting schools, all of the gun modifications, and the need for folks to APPER fast (dumbed down stage design, and in some cases ridicusly close targets) have certainly changed the game

some would say it has changed for the better

I would just like to see some sort of balance

from what is the norm now, and some of the "best from the past" ;)

;);)

I wish I could have said it that well .

A+

Ok I've been trying really hard not to get involved but I have a bad day and my p.c. filters came off.

1 accusing people of wanting to change the sass game. Well all mr rooster want is to go back to how it was. So if its not how it used to be it has changed. Therefore the only people who wanted to change sass are the ones who started moving the targets closer.

2 where is it going to end? When the targets literally can be touched by the gun barrel? With each target 50" x 50" so everyone sprays fast and never missed. I have already been to one match where you could touch the pistol targets by holding the stock on a long barreled rifle/shotgun and hold it out at arms length

What ever happened to taking pride in your achievements. Targets so close you can't miss. Then what's the point?. My wife has shot one match. When I asked her if she would like targets closer so she couldn't miss her responce was "why? If I didn't want a challenge id just stay home and watch tv." She never shot a gun until five years ago and probably has only shot maybe thirty times in those five years.

3 for those who have been in sass in the good old days. Did you enjoy the games the off the wall shenanigans? Obviously if your still in the game it couldn't have been that bad. Did you go home and say I hated shooting under the wagon or ill never go back again because i had to ride a stick horse ?

Ill never understand the whiners who say they can't get young people interested in the sport and then go set the stages up for an older shooter. Just think back to when you were young say 30. Would you want to shoot a stage that consisted of: shoot revolvers, take one step right shoot rifle. Take one step right shoot shotgun. I bet the honest answer would be no. You were young and full of piss and vinegar.maybe a little Cocky and wanted to show off just how fadt/ good you were. Now I'm not saying I want fifty yard dashes or anything like that. Plus I dfinately don't want experienced shooters going home because ots too hard on their body. How are we to learn from experience if the one who led the way are no longer around. There should be a way to find a compromise. A fe. Stages close a few far. Some with more movement some with less.

Now I don't want targets a mile off I personlly love shooting long range. Not at sass though. Sass, to me is about enjoying an era I'm to young to have lived in. Great people and guns I love. I'm not a fast shooter by any means, not that I don't try I just nevr seem to have the same guns two times in a row yet. Hopefully that will change as I have a good dependable set now.

I love watching videos of duece amd rattlesnake. I am honnored to get my butt whipped by timberjack and amen staigh, but realistically how much would it slow people down to move back the targets 5 feet?

Now I enjoy sass as it is. Do I not understand a few things about it, heck yeah but I still come and shoot. Would i quit If the targets keep getting bigger and closer? More than likely not, but id definitely think about finding a different club to shoot at.

Ok flame away.

then do it and let us know what your shooters thought of the stages.

cbj

Well, folks can pine for the "Good Ol' Days" when stage times ran in the 40, 50 and 60 second range for GOOD shooters.

I plan on setting steel this Sunday and playing a game where good shooters can run 15 second 24 round stages.

Where sons, daughters and grandparents alike will all have a great time and feel like they are Roy Rogers blasting away at the bad guys.

I don't recall too many movie serials where there was a lot of "Take your time...Steady...Steady" shooting going on.

It was light 'em up and toss me some more ammo.

Appaloosa is not my favorite cowboy movie - but one line always stood out. "Dang, that was fast" "Yup, thats what happens when everybody can shoot"

These are the "Good Ol' Days" of cowboy action shooting.

And in honor of this thread... There will be a stage with 20 x 20 rifle targets at 8 yards - Just because I can.

Stages 3 & 4

http://desertdesperados.com/june_match.html

"Then give it a try, move rifle targets back your xx ft and pistols y ft . Be sure to have your name read as the stage writter when read to the posse. If majority of the club members enjoy it.... then you are a winner and then can write the rest of the years scenerios""

Well, I guess there is my answer. Regular SASS sized targets for the revolvers at 7 yards and the same large rifle targets at 18 yards would be impossibly difficult for too many SASS shooters to have a good time. That's all I wanted to know. Main match rifle targets at 10 yards,good to go, save the 18 yard large rifle targets for the side matches. Got it. Smokin Gator

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Pistol targets

• Minimum distance is 7 yards; maximum

distance is 10 yards.

• Minimum pistol target size is 16” x 16”.

Shotgun targets

• Minimum distance is 8 yards; maximum

distance is 16 yards.

• Minimum shotgun target size for 8 yards is

8” x 8” (MGM size poppers allowable)

• Minimum shotgun target size for over 8

yards is 16” x 16” average.

Rifle targets

• Minimum distance is 13 yards; maximum

distance is 50 yards.

• Minimum rifle target size is 16” x 16”.

this works for me

Pistol targets

distance is 10 yards.

• Minimum pistol target size is 16" x 16".

Shotgun targets

distance is 16 yards.

8" x 8" (MGM size poppers allowable)

yards is 16" x 16" average.

Rifle targets

distance is 50 yards.

• Minimum rifle target size is 16" x 16".

this works for me

Those are just suggestions. ;)

Pistol targets

distance is 10 yards.

Shotgun targets

distance is 16 yards.

Rifle targets

distance is 50 yards.

this works for me

You do know...of course...that these are simply suggestions...and do you know what the most successful matches do?

Cheers!

:FlagAm:

"Then give it a try, move rifle targets back your xx ft and pistols y ft . Be sure to have your name read as the stage writter when read to the posse. If majority of the club members enjoy it.... then you are a winner and then can write the rest of the years scenerios""

Well, I guess there is my answer. Regular SASS sized targets for the revolvers at 7 yards and the same large rifle targets at 18 yards would be impossibly difficult for too many SASS shooters to have a good time. That's all I wanted to know. Main match rifle targets at 10 yards,good to go, save the 18 yard large rifle targets for the side matches. Got it. Smokin Gator

Don't know where you got your distances, but if 'that' is what you deam as acceptable, then write it up, set the steel and go for it. We will be awaiting your report back on how the shooters at the match YOU wrote, liked it. Hopefully good with flying colors.

BTW, the answer is>>>>> YOU write up the monthly scenerios at the distances & size YOU want and see if it flys.

Pistol targets

distance is 10 yards.

Shotgun targets

distance is 16 yards.

Rifle targets

distance is 50 yards.

this works for me

Tell us what to do 'when' the steel for each firearm is 'not' what you specified?? Some clubs don't carry 6-12 bays worth of 16x16 high quality steel targets for both pisol/rifle/shotgun?

"Don't know where you got your distances, but if 'that' is what you deam as acceptable, then write it up, set the steel and go for it. We will be awaiting your report back on how the shooters at the match YOU wrote, liked it. Hopefully good with flying colors"

Come on. People don't just want to say the words. You can do it.

Say it. " 16 inch targets for revolvers at 7 yards and 16 inch targets at 18 yards is to difficult of a challenge for me." repeat. It sounds silly when you actually say it out loud so people come up with all these other, "you want us to shoot 3" targets or you want us to shoot 50 yard targets", when they are actually don't want to even shoot large rifle targets at 18 yards. Be honest, at least instead of exagerating what some people are suggesting, (large targets a few yards farther).. Smokin Gator

Tell us what to do 'when' the steel for each firearm is 'not' what you specified?? Some clubs don't carry 6-12 bays worth of 16x16 high quality steel targets for both pisol/rifle/shotgun?

Then move those small targets closer. Seems pretty simple.

Archived