SASS Wire Forum

NEED TO REWORK RUGER OM VAQUERO

Malpais Mike

Hello the camp! One of my .44-40 Vaqueros has tight chamber mouths. It gages .424; my other gages .429. Ruger wants me to send it back; they'll fix it and return it, but I'll be out the FedEx fee--last time was $70.

Here's where I hope the expert advice -- or the 'I tried that and it sucked' -- department is open. I can get an adjustable reamer for under $20; I envision shooting a cylinder-ful, matching fired brass to chamber and boring out primer pocket for a pilot. Since I'm only talking .004-.005, I should be good to go.

Your comments/advice/guffaws are solicited. thxnregards mm

Well, of course he does. Just shows you how well I can fall into the 'why didn't I thimk of that, I wasn't doing anything brilliant ennyhoo' mindset. I'll give him a call. On the other hand, I'd like to know if the idea has merit [yup, mostly stubborn but curious nonetheless]. I've used these reamers several times to good results. thxnregards mm

Two things. First of all, the original .44-40 bullet was .427. Second, Ruger put out a lot of .44-40s with a .429 barrel on them so that they would not have have to make the .427 barrel. Basically, they used a .44 special or .44 magnum barrel. Also, as you have found out, the chambers were wrong. Do your research on the .44-40 and then talk to someone about opening the chambers.

I also believe an FFL can ship pistols for you using flat rate boxes.

Brim

This is true. I used my FFL guy to ship two (2) handguns in the same box to Texas from Calif. $22.00 United States Postal Service.

Fed Ex charges that $70 fee for overnight service because they don't want their employee stealing the guns left laying around in trucks and buildings. Just sayin'

Jake

As for Ruger, they give excellent service and turn around. Sent in two OMs and had them back the next week. Big thumbs up to Ruger.

Barry Sloe

Howdy!

I don't think any more research is needed; Ruger made all their 44-40's with .429 barrels, but didn't get the cylinder dimensions correct initially for that barrel size. For best accuracy and cartridge fit, the chamber mouths need to be opened. I had Ruger do all my 44-40s, as I didn't trust any local smiths. They knew they screwed up; only charge was shipping to them, and I considered it worth it to send to Ruger. They did a fine job.

Howdy,

I guess I dont understand.

I thought the chamber throats were attached to the cylinder.

So cant ya just ship the cylinder to rooger and get the work done?

I must be missin sumptin???

Im glad I dont live near westfargo cause he would have all my gold dust

gittin my roogers all slicked up.

Best

CR

My 44-40 cylinders were at .425, so I bought a reamer from Brownells and opened them up, Had to jerry-rig it, as the pilot would not pass through the cylinder opening. Had to do the same thing with my OMV .45s.

CR

Much obliged for your input. That said, as the reamer arrived Sat., and the Rugers are back-ups now, I think I'll give it a go.

Chili Ron, you are correct. However, reamed properly, the barrel is removed, a pilot installed in the frame and the cylinder reamed/honed to size. That makes everything coaxial/concentric/whatever.

I'm with ya, Cowboy Rick. I slugged: om Marlin '94 .44mag, jap Win '92 .44mag, kaboy Marlin .44mag ==> these were chamber-cast and all .429-,430. Pistols are pairs: .44-40 om Vaq, .44spl nm Vaq, .44spl Hartford, and Smoke Wagons .44-40 w/ spare .44spl cylinders. Pistols all slugged using Meister kit came out .429, or close enuf for my Mitutoyo. Cylinders plug gaged .429 except the one Vaq at .424.

Film at lebendyleben. thxnregards mm

Archived