SASS Wire Forum

Title says it all.

I'm gettting a new radio for the Jeep, and instead of having a big huge blank panel with a skinny new radio, I was considering filling that slot with a CB.

30 years ago they were all the rage, but how much use do they get today for traffic and weather conditions ahead down the road?

Haven't used one since the 80s. But they still make em.

link

They're still around, Cap'n, but not much on the airwaves anymore other than bored truckers. I had one in my F-truck for quite awhile until it went deaf. My SIL still has one in her room hooked up to a power pack and a ground plane :blush:

I still use mine on trip on my motorcycle and in my truck. You can get a good one at a truck stop!

I used to always have a Cobra going. I flew at low level in my Camaro back in the 55 mph days, but once the speed limit went back to 70 mph, the CBs tended to die away. I'm content to set the cruise control on 73 mph and sit back. I haven't had a CB in 20+ years.

Haven't used or really even seen one since '76 or '77, I guess. Don't really miss 'em.

Used a Corba 140 for many years.

Then I retired from trucking sold my KW but took that Corba out and put it in my car.

Use it every day !

That is my next venture -- Ham Radio.

I was going to get into that. Used to have a receiver that I listened to late into the night. Had CQ cards from all over the world. Studied the FCC book in preparation of getting my license. Then I went into the army...

I just found the surplus navy morse code key that I had bought for 5 bucks when I was 17. Still unused in the box.

Sold it on Ebay for $77.00.

I was going to get into that. Used to have a receiver that I listened to late into the night. Had CQ cards from all over the world. Studied the FCC book in preparation of getting my license. Then I went into the army...

I just found the surplus navy morse code key that I had bought for 5 bucks when I was 17. Still unused in the box.

Sold it on Ebay for $77.00.

Careful there U.B. You're about to tell you're age !

Aw hell...........My call signal was TXMS 27755 !

Still have my paper license.

Have used them since the 80's. Still have one in my truck. About the only time I use it now is when I'm pulling the stock trailer loaded with the pack string up some back country logging road. It helps to know if there's a fully-loaded log truck coming down the road a mile ahead. Gives me time to pull over. Other than that, it stays pretty much silent.

Do get those HAM radio license's ;)

While I still have a Midland SSB-CB in my truck (in case),

UHF-VHF FM radios are much clearer and with repeaters can be solid comm's for 100's of miles :)

Don't use one on a regular basis much anymore, but have one in the truck to talk to wife when she is in range a comin' home for a spell or two. Saves a couple of pennies on the cell phone :mellow: .

Also, sometimes I go out of town running a day cab...I then set it up on a temp. board array and use it for traffic updates along the way.

Just me......

Not any more. If I relocate to some acreage, I'll put it back in (still have my old ones).

I also have the base station we used whilest up in Colorado in the early 90's. Had a CB in the old cab tractor and Sunny would call me on it when lunch or supper was ready. Brings back memories.... ^_^

I think the new walky talkys (at least some of them!) use some of the CB channels. Sometimes when I am using mine talking to my wife when I am out doing irrigation chores, I get people and some truckers on certain channels. I do have a real nice Cobra my son gave me (he is a long haul trucker) that I use when I am on the highway on a trip.

I have a Uniden in my pickup. I will occasionally turn it on if on the highway to see what the truckers are saying, but use it mostly when we have two or more vehicles going on a camping trip. Great when four wheeling.

Besides that Corba 140 I have, I also have a brand new, still in box Browning 23 channel, yes folks....23 channel ray-di-o.

Still has the factor seal on the box intact.

Grand Father gave it to me.

Wondering how much it is worth now to those who collect such things.

But I wood never sell it !

Archived