SASS Wire Forum

takedown and solid frame Wn '97s

Red Cent

What parts in the receiver wil NOT interchange?

GJ, you're a big help :lol:

A shooteer friend bought an E model takedown. He handed it to me in pieces. The action slide, fore arm, mag tube, and the screws and pins. The barrel and receiver extension, and the stock attached to the receiver nd all the guts. After soaking the gunked up parts and cleaning them, they msy have expanded or shrunk.

With just the bolt inserted in the receiver, the carrier will not go into battery. Not hanging on anything that I can see. Flag, shell stops, tube, are not in the way. With the bolt removed the carrier will go into position to allow the action slide to enter the groove on the carrier.

The only visible item is the firing pin block which works easily and with carrier and bolt out of the receiver, they mate very well. With them in the carrier, at about the time they come together (top face of carrier is past the bolt block a tad), it feels hard but a touch of spongy. I used a black magic marker on the wall of the carrier that mates with the bolt and lightly sanded where marred.Same problem.

I have tuned, rebuilt, modded, and worked ona number of 97s but I am stumped.

I took the carrier out of one of my solid frames and had the same problem. I have four solid frames but no takedowns to compare the carrier.

Does anyone have the specs on the carrier or know of a site that might?

I'm baffled.

You might want to check and make sure the action bar lock release plunger ((((I think that is pretty close to the correct name -- anyway, the button on the right side of the receiver that you push to release the action bar lock -- it is held in place by a funky wire spring on the inside of the receiver)))))))

anyway, make sure the button/plunger is not falling inside the receiver a little ways and blocking the carrier from sliding into position. Try making certain the button is extending out the right side of the receiver far enough not to protrude inside at all and hold receiver with right side down when you slide the carrier in.

That was rambling a little; but, if you look at it, you will see what I am referring to --- just something to check. ;)

The extractor spring(s) in the bolt may be not let the bolt slide all the way home.Also does it look like anyone has monkeyed with the screws that hold the big washer in the frame that the bolt closes onto?

I would try a bolt and a carrier from another gun and see if they work. If not, remove the button and spring, and the trigger housing and try them again. If they still don't work, it might be a different frame and the above mentioned washer needs to be adjusted.

If you determine it's the bolt that is the problem, just start removing parts from the bolt til it works-there's not that many in the bolt.

A well meaning but inexperienced smith reblued my 97. (Hind sight is 20-20, should have left it brown, it looked better!)

He failed to detail strip the bolt.

The extractor spring recess was filled with bluing salts and in time rotted the extractor spring, allowing the extractor to flop inward, preventing the bolt from closing fully.

Just another thing to look at.

Red

You might want to look at the Action slide there is 5/8" different between the take down and solid frame all other parts bolt-carrier ect are the same :)

General

Pull the right and left hand extractors out of the bolt and try to put it together. Sometimes the extractors get gunked up and won't ride up and over the barrel ring or extractor cuts. Put your thumb on the back of the bolt and press forward hard as you fit the carrier in place. If this works without the extractors in place pull the gun apart and put the extractors back in and make sure they are moving freely. That's my guess with out seeing the gun.

Archived