SASS Wire Forum

A few statements,

Lady Gunfighter at EoT won't be honored!!

SASS said they want it to be, and I quote, "A TRUE COMPETITION"!! Because there are not 5 entered in LG the Wild Bunch does NOT consider it a competition.

Buffy Lo Gal (a MULTI-World Champion LGF), Chula Kat (a MULTI-championship title holder in LGF), and myself the current World Champion LGF DON'T make it a TRUE competition? I heard there was another LGF that was called and told LGF was not being honored and to shoot Lady Duelist and who knows who else?

I will not be forced to participate in a category that I am not proficient in. If this is a true competition then I would like to have every opportunity to compete as a Champion. I am the World Champion Lady Gunfighter of 2011 End Of Trail and I don't get a chance to defend my title in 2012. I have been a Loyal SASS member and Loved to promote and enjoy the Spirit of the Game for over 16 years, and now I feel my title has been taken away from me. I can only hope that SASS will recant it's thinking and honor ALL SASS World Championship Categories at EOT 2012.

I want to know why Grand Dames category is specifically being honored? Are their entry dollars BETTER than ours?

I'm not going to EoT!! Noah is not going because I'm not. My son won't being going either. If momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!!

My family not attending cost SASS $605.00.

Was it worth it to NOT honor LGF?

Buffy Lo Gal is not going and Chula Kat tried to get her entry fees back and they wouldn't. She's still on the fence about going or not.

Our passion for this sport runs deep. I am saddened, angry and disappointed.

Rocky,

I support your beliefs and statement, and your decision to not attend.

The LGF's you mentioned are all top competitors and the competition would be at its best.

Soooooo, would the WB consider it 'Competitive' if ONE real good LGF and 4 other 'not so good' LGFer's signed up?

I thought the WB was gona start recognizing OUR Champions. Doesn't look like it.

..........Widder

I live in Southeast Nebraska and was going to Western States at Fernley, NV two years ago, and they only had a couple of duelists registered and I didn't know what category I was going to have to shoot in. Those great folks decided that if you paid your entry, and drove over a thousand miles, you should get to shoot your category. EOT should follow that example IMHO...

Rocky, there was swome conversation about this kind of stuff this past weekend at a monthly I attended. It would appear that the SASS folks are about to shoot themselves in the foot. Every class that is offered should be honored even if only one shows up. How much could a few awards cost compared to the alternative.

I personally have been asked to change classes, but not for many years. I find most clubs and matches I shoot not only honor a class, but some of the better clubs offer classes not listed as official classes. The Cowboys for instance, offer a senior class in many catagories. That might be because of the changing age base of a bunch of us old foggies, yours truly included. Cheapening things up for folks spending major money to travel to and enter a major event kind of sticks in a lot of folks craws. Just sayin'

Miz Rocky;

You have stated your position logically and eloquently.

Count me in your corner.

Here's hoping the policy gets changed.

I'm with ya miss Rocky.

Not a competition huh? Yeah right. And why is it that they want to ensure what they call competition? To impress or gain respect from the other shooting sports? Ha! Those in the other shooting sports who don't give CAS respect now ain't gonna change their minds based on this. Their opinions are based like many opinions, on heresay, second and twenty second hand rumors, and out right fabrications. Any who have taken the time to go to a major match and give it a try know that it's much more than just dress up with single actions and lever guns.

Frankly I couldm't care less about what the three gun world, IDPA, or whoever thinks about CAS. It's the rank and file Cowboys and COWGIRLS that I care about, and it seems to me that they've just been slapped in the face by their own kinfolk.

Grizz

Thinking I've been around Bro. King too long, after re-reading the above :D

SASS WB needs to pull their heads out and see how STUPID this is. :angry:

WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY THINKING? IF, any of them are thinking at all??.. :rolleyes:

Rocky, you did the right thing and used the best way to protest this BS....You used YOUR WALLET :excl:

There will be many other clubs happy to rec. your money ;)

GEE, now just why are the number of shooters down at EOT??

LG

I've made my thoughts on this subject plain on the thread titled EOT. I hope that the Wild Bunch will take a hand and reconsider this. It is sad when champions are excluded from competing for such ridiculous reasons. This can't possibly be all because of money. :unsure::wacko::angry:

We'll see you at CAC, Miss Rocky! Just know that there are a bunch of people in your corner! :wub::FlagAm:

Rocky, I agree with you 100%! If the three of you wasn't good enough for a "competition", I don't know what would be. It just wasn't possible for me to attend, but I also shoot Lady Gunfighter. However, I'm not really good at it, if I had been able to go and another LGF who wasn't any better than me had made it 5, would that have made it more of a competition? I certainly don't think so, I would never really be able to compete with you, all I would have done had I been able to go would have been to have fun shooting the same category as you, that's not the same thing! At the present time, my job does not allow vacation time during June and July, but my boss has said that rule may change in the near future. Even if it does change next year, I'd rather take my guns and my money to a shoot where LGFs are welcome than go to EOT :angry:

Oh Rocky...

3 of my favorite ladies are being done wrong. Do the folks who made this decision not realize the people being effected by this have been some of the best spokeswomen for the sport...until now. No doubt this will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Make a trip to PoP this weekend. I KNOW they will honor LGF even if you are the only one in the category.

Rocky, I am saddened and dismayed by your post, and the cause of it needing to be written.

I too think this stinks! kinda takes the fire out of ya.....

I'm in the same boat, not enuff FCGF either,,,the present world champ was gonna defend and I've won two different regionals, plus state championships shooting FCGF, I guess that wasn't enuff competition eethur....

Cheyenne

For whatever it is worth 80 percent of the TGs voted to support this issue in Vegas and the item was for all state matches and above all SASS categories had to be honored no matter the number of shooters. The TGs were quickly over ruled. So a whole lot of club members agree with you. It is hard to get even a 2/3 vote by the TGs.

Three beautiful, smIling, happy faces I won't get to see. Damn stupid mistake for the WB to make.

I am truly sorry, Ladies, that your officially recognized category isn't being offered at this years world championship.

Possum

I'm sorry Rocky. The Wild Bunch is flat out wrong yet again. If I said what I think, I feel certain my post would at the least get altered.

SASS is a business and we are customers. My life membership is about as valuable as a lifetime membership to Costco. Today I am thankful that I am just a customer and not a party to the decisions that continue to come down that seem neither to be in the cowboy way, nor in the interest of promoting SASS as an all inclusive family sport.

You are a world champion in my book as are the other competitors that were screwed by this decision.

At our State shoot coming up in July we'll honor all SASS sanctioned catagories regardless of how many are in them.We're even going to allow one (maybe more but not sure yet) Cowboy that wants to shoot Cattle Baron.If he wins he can't get a Plaque since it's not a recognised catagory,but he will get a certificate for winning his catagory and he'll be allowed to shoot what he wants instead of being shoved into something else.The WB is getting too big for their britches me thinks.

For whatever it is worth 80 percent of the TGs voted to support this issue in Vegas and the item was for all state matches and above all SASS categories had to be honored no matter the number of shooters. The TGs were quickly over ruled. So a whole lot of club members agree with you. It is hard to get even a 2/3 vote by the TGs.

How the TGs vote counts only when the vote is what the WB wanted to start with.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

How the TGs vote counts only when the vote is what the WB wanted to start with.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I do not believe that is necessarily true. Several votes that I recall went against the WB wishes, at least by their statements in and out of the meetings and they were not over ruled by the WB. Remember things usually don't even end on the agenda unless approved by the WB. This particular TG vote was first over ruled by those that put on state championship matches as I recall, but hell I am getting old and forgetful.

Miss Rocky you are a top hand! Excellent post and you are doing the right thing. Go spend that money elsewhere...where you are appreciated!

Don't get me wrong, I well understand the mechanics and financial decisions that go into promoting and conduction a large match. Had a small bit 'o experience in that. Tough call to make.

I understand the 'line in the sand' thinking of so many in a catagory by such and such date or...else but...it don't feel right. Not from under my cowboy hat it don't!

I get the 'fact' that it ain't a competition when you're the only one in a catagory BUT THATS NOT WHAT WE HAVE HERE. I get the fact that some ARBITRARY number over one was selected and it wasn't met so...pick another catagory. I know some of the ladies in thoe catagories who are being asked to move and they are all fine pards who have every right to shoot their chosen catagory. Me wife Cimarron Larna ( She shoots gunfighter but we won't be at EOT because she's getting used to a new hip) had to make a similar choice like this once and she chose to shoot in HER CHOSEN catagory which I called the me-myself & I but she's still a champ in my eyes but I digress...

Even if you have a catagory with only ONE shooter, c'mon, we're being stingy with ONE award? Ok, we're talking about quite a few? How many is that, really and at the cost of the awards, considering what the match fees are...hardly gonna break the bank so dollars ain't the reason here.

No, it's some arbitrary 'standard' about competition. Well pards I got news for ya...when the beep goes off you're gonna COMPETE and do the best you darn can, even if you're the only one in your catagory. (You're still competing again yerself) so I would, as silly as that sounds, use that to say IT DON"T MATTER IF THERE'S ONLY ONE, IF ITS A 'RECOGNIZED CATAGORY IT SHOULD BE HONORED...PERIOD!!!!!

No, I think what SASS is doing here is bone-headed. Runs along the lines of some of the other decisions we've seen lately, I'm sorry to say. Folks I get what you're trying to do but it ain't right!!!

Well Ms. Rocky, I happen to agree with what you wrote...

...and you and yours are welcome to come shoot with ITSASS, Ruckus in the Nations, we will honor all SASS categories (even if there is only one - 1)plus several others.

...why I just may shoot Senior Frontier Cartridge Duelist (for write-ins over and above the SASS sanctioned categories, we ask for 3)

...and yes we have Lady Gunfighters...

I guess they should stop two man shoot offs at events.

It's apparently not really competition. <_<

I am almost 70 years of age.

Several times in my life I sacrificed my principals for economic reasons.

I have a vivid and sad remembrance of every one of these occasions and I will carry them with me.

Pick your battles wisely and don't compromise your principals.

Speak up for what you believe is right, and shout loudly when you see a wrong.

Hi Rocky,

You know I support you for reasons already stated on this thread.

It is not just about you or I, it is about supporting and encouraging women to participate in a shooting sport.

Shame on the Wild Bunch if they do not recognize and correct their error.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I don't know why this bugs me so, mebbe it's because I've not shot in MONTHS due to several family issues not the least of which is I've been off work for over two months taking care of the wife Cimarron Larna who is recovering nicely from hip replacement surgery or maybe it's because...I don't know, but it BUGS ME!

Thirty 'recognized catagories' not including LGF and a few others that ought to be there. Lets look at the COST.

Main match fees, 200-250 or thereabouts, safe to say that the income for JUST MAIN MATCH is going to be in the neighborhood of $100k. Now putting on big, first class matches ain't cheap and anyone who knows knows that figure isn't all gravy. There's porta-potties, lumpers to haul hay bales, fences and tents to rent and put up, tables chairs, electrical and safety equipment to rent, parking attendants and security people to pay and a hundred other things BUT... lets just look at the cost of awards.

30 catagories, ten get buckles that's 300 buckles at oh, lets call it $20 each...$6000

Five trophies I think it is for the top five at oh, $50 each.....................$7500

Use those figures for EACH additional catagory for only FIVE.....................$350 per catagory

EACH 'extra' competitor..........................................................$70 EACH

The amount of goodwill you get doing the right thing.............................PRICELESS

Seventy bucks don't look like so much compared to $100k especially when that don't include WB, Mounted and vendor fees and the like. In fact, seems a mite stingy to me so I don't think money is a good reason, especially when I see, by the posted posse list that there's only FOUR Grand Dame's and it would seem to be that there's at least THREE LGF's....I sure wouldn't want to be the guy to make that call and I wouldn't! C'mon, we're not talking about ANY amount of dough that really matters in the greater scheme of things. This here quote from one of my favorite movies; In Harms Way was said by Henry Fonda playing a 'famous' four star admiral talking about John Wayne's character of Capt. Rockwell Tory getting punished for having his ship torpedoed during Pearl Harbor;

"Now we all know the Navy is never wrong but in this case they were a little weak on being right."

The WB apparently has no marketing savvy. As a business, they are making a public relations mistake that will have long implications. I cancelled going to EOT this year and will not attend future matches. I am a customer and spend my money where I have the most fun and my entry is valued. Guns of August and Heluva Rukus, where all categories are honored, is getting my entertainment money this year. The Siege at St. Augustine is another quality match that will get my money. EOT will not.

I don't know why this bugs me so, mebbe it's because I've not shot in MONTHS due to several family issues not the least of which is I've been off work for over two months taking care of the wife Cimarron Larna who is recovering nicely from hip replacement surgery or maybe it's because...I don't know, but it BUGS ME!

Thirty 'recognized catagories' not including LGF and a few others that ought to be there. Lets look at the COST.

Main match fees, 200-250 or thereabouts, safe to say that the income for JUST MAIN MATCH is going to be in the neighborhood of $100k. Now putting on big, first class matches ain't cheap and anyone who knows knows that figure isn't all gravy. There's porta-potties, lumpers to haul hay bales, fences and tents to rent and put up, tables chairs, electrical and safety equipment to rent, parking attendants and security people to pay and a hundred other things BUT... lets just look at the cost of awards.

30 catagories, ten get buckles that's 300 buckles at oh, lets call it $20 each...$6000

Five trophies I think it is for the top five at oh, $50 each.....................$7500

Use those figures for EACH additional catagory for only FIVE.....................$350 per catagory

EACH 'extra' competitor..........................................................$70 EACH

The amount of goodwill you get doing the right thing.............................PRICELESS

Seventy bucks don't look like so much compared to $100k especially when that don't include WB, Mounted and vendor fees and the like. In fact, seems a mite stingy to me so I don't think money is a good reason, especially when I see, by the posted posse list that there's only FOUR Grand Dame's and it would seem to be that there's at least THREE LGF's....I sure wouldn't want to be the guy to make that call and I wouldn't! C'mon, we're not talking about ANY amount of dough that really matters in the greater scheme of things. This here quote from one of my favorite movies; In Harms Way was said by Henry Fonda playing a 'famous' four star admiral talking about John Wayne's character of Capt. Rockwell Tory getting punished for having his ship torpedoed during Pearl Harbor;

"Now we all know the Navy is never wrong but in this case they were a little weak on being right."

As been stated before, and you have stated it again, it isn't about the money. Economics says to give out awards to everyone cause you will make money on that person anyway.

There is principle here.....two sides of it.... and not one side is right and the other side is wrong. Just two different point of view (principles). I rather see both sides and can debate both sides.

What value is there to someone when most everyone gets an award? I guess there is alot of value to alot of folks.

On the other hand, I can definitely sympathize (sp) with anyone that can not shoot their shooting style. Meaning, for example, a GF can not shoot GF style irregardless of what catagory the Organizers put them into.

Just a view.

Blastmaster

I guess one of the things that bothers me the most about the decision to not have a LGF category unless a minimum of 5 are registered is that Rocky, by deed and personal endeavors, has attended BIG matches and helped raise money for worthy SASS causes.

She has been a great contributor. Not only to the game/sport, but also to other causes that the WB has authorized.

Its a shame that anyone is treated in this manner and in my opinion, shows onery disrespect towards her.

..........Widder

SASS said they want it to be, and I quote, "A TRUE COMPETITION"!! Because there are not 5 entered in LG the Wild Bunch does NOT consider it a competition.

Buffy Lo Gal (a MULTI-World Champion LGF), Chula Kat (a MULTI-championship title holder in LGF), and myself the current World Champion LGF DON'T make it a TRUE competition? I heard there was another LGF that was called and told LGF was not being honored and to shoot Lady Duelist and who knows who else?

I will not be forced to participate in a category that I am not proficient in. If this is a true competition then I would like to have every opportunity to compete as a Champion. I am the World Champion Lady Gunfighter of 2011 End Of Trail and I don't get a chance to defend my title in 2012. I have been a Loyal SASS member and Loved to promote and enjoy the Spirit of the Game for over 16 years, and now I feel my title has been taken away from me. I can only hope that SASS will recant it's thinking and honor ALL SASS World Championship Categories at EOT 2012.

I want to know why Grand Dames category is specifically being honored? Are their entry dollars BETTER than ours?

I'm not going to EoT!! Noah is not going because I'm not. My son won't being going either. If momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!!

Buffy Lo Gal is not going and Chula Kat tried to get her entry fees back and they wouldn't. She's still on the fence about going or not.

Rocky, you've long been a fine example of what SASS is about and what it should be.

I agree with everything you said and if this is an example of how those in charge choose to run EOT, I'll just view that as another reason for me not to go to EOT. I'll spend my money at the state & regional level where it is appreciated.

As been stated before, and you have stated it again, it isn't about the money. Economics says to give out awards to everyone cause you will make money on that person anyway.

There is principle here.....two sides of it.... and not one side is right and the other side is wrong. Just two different point of view (principles). I rather see both sides and can debate both sides.

What value is there to someone when most everyone gets an award? I guess there is alot of value to alot of folks.

On the other hand, I can definitely sympathize (sp) with anyone that can not shoot their shooting style. Meaning, for example, a GF can not shoot GF style irregardless of what catagory the Organizers put them into.

Just a view.

Blastmaster

I guess one of the things that bothers me the most about the decision to not have a LGF category unless a minimum of 5 are registered is that Rocky, by deed and personal endeavors, has attended BIG matches and helped raise money for worthy SASS causes.

She has been a great contributor. Not only to the game/sport, but also to other causes that the WB has authorized.

Its a shame that anyone is treated in this manner and in my opinion, shows onery disrespect towards her.

..........Widder

Agreed Widder,

Five is an arbitrary number; could very well be three or two, or four. It isn't about the money, and it isn't about the 'competition'. Two would to that. Heck, given the casual nature of our sport, I still say there's no reason not to honor a catagory with one participant. I mean, we brought it on ourselves. Ok, we picked 'five' as our number but there's this here catagory that has FOUR. well...ok, one isn't all that big a deal...If'n you're going to do that then THREE (or two or...) ain't all that big a deal and just how small does that nit have to be to get picked?

You wouldn't expect a Duelist to compete with a Wrangler or Frontier cartridge with B-western. Likewise, an 18 year old competing agin a 70 year old ain't zactly fair. (But we see that, don't we and nobody seems to mind all that much) As a gunfighter especially, because unlike other styles, and the rules is pretty clear, a gunfighter has VERY limited options!

I'll make this point; seems they made an exception for another class that only had four. I get that you gotta draw the line somewhere but one less isn't really a big deal and from where I sit, seems to be a HUGE mistake in this case! Ferget all this nonsense about 'competition' and 'numbers' geez...(it was dumb in the first place.) Next thing ya know they'll make some silly rule about if you won the 'big buckle' last year, you can't shoot in that catagory the next year because we gots to let the other pards have a shot at the big buckle, donchaknow...

and they didn't even give you the "Opportunity" of going Rattlesnake!

Save your money and come on up to the US Open. Mose is running that one and there's no doubt that he will honor Lady Gunfighter. It's gonna be a good one this year!

ya cud shoot the gunfighter class

half a hand henry has shown THAT ladies are EQUAL:::: in that class

she has out placed me at several big shoots

IT wood rock to see all you GF ladies place high in GF at EOT

just a silly idea

;)

Rocky, For once I totally agree with You!

SASS is just plain wrong and acting preferential and prejudiced.(one reason I don't go to the SASS major matches any longer..Winter Range being the one exception cause SASS doesn't run it!)

Of course you should have the right and the honor of defending your well deserved World Champion LGF title!

Stick to your guns,Rocky(and the other LGF's as well)....You have definitely been wronged!

Yer Old Pard,

Sixgun

You are WAY over priced on your awards.

World Champ buckle. About $85 bucks.

Top ten buckles are about $1.50

Take it from there. Know of a lot of smaller matches that spend more on awards

than they do at EOT.

Archived