SASS Wire Forum

Ray Bradbury, author of 'Fahrenheit 451,' dies

Subdeacon Joe

IMO a hell of a writer. RIP Ray.

A truly great writer, as well as a most entertaining one. I always learned something when I read one of his books or short stories. I also found myself thinking about things a lot more than I usually did after reading his work

RIP, Ray - you will be missed.

Read some great stuff from him coming up, one of my favorites was " Illustrated Man"....

One of the most OVERRATED authors of all time. Couldn't hold a candle to the REAL science fiction writers, IMO.

There's a kernel of truth here. Bradbury was a very good writer, but he never really was a science fiction writer in any usual sense.

Exactly! I've never been big on Fantasy, which was what he wrote, I think. Calling him a SF writer always bothered me. Usually by media types who don't know squat about EITHER!

Probably the same bozos who called the BeeGees a "dico group" when Robin Gibb recently died. Showed they didn't really know who they were.

One of two writers who led me into SF and fantasy reading.....for a lifetime.

God Speed Ray.

If Farenheit 451 isn't science fiction then nothing is. Bradbury was not only my favorite writer since I was 12, but his work was true "literature" + molded my little brain along with Heinlein. Asimov, Thoedore Sturgeon, Paol Anderson, Alfred Bester Zane Grey and others.

The O'Meara Himself

If Farenheit 451 isn't science fiction then nothing is. Bradbury was not only my favorite writer since I was 12, but his work was true "literature" + molded my little brain along with Heinlein. Asimov, Thoedore Sturgeon, Paol Anderson, Alfred Bester Zane Grey and others.

The O'Meara Himself

Those guys molded my little brain, too (except for Zane Grey, who I never read 'til I was older), but I'd have to throw in Edgar Rice Burroughs, who topped them all when I was in my early teens.

It's certainly on the mark to call Bradbury an SF writer, especially since he led a lot of people to SF, but he got out of the genre a very long time ago. His great talent as a writer was the creating of a powerful mood or atmosphere.

I'm comfortable with labeling Bradbury a Speculative Fiction writer..if labels are important to some people.

Being a simple man I tend to lump writers into just three types:

Story tellers

Chroniclers

Poets

Some are all three. :)

Archived