SASS Wire Forum

OT: Important! Do you use LinkedIn?

A quick time warp back to 21st century cyber security:

If you have an account at LinkedIn.com, go change your password there - and if you use the same password elsewhere, you should consider changing those too.

A hacker group posted a file containing 6.46 million password 'hashes' to a Russian hacker site asking for help in cracking the passwords, claiming they were from LinkedIn. An initial data analysis indicates they may indeed be from LinkedIn. Many of the passwords have already been cracked, and the hackers seem to have indicated which ones. The file does not appear to be the complete database, but the layman will have no way to know if his password was compromised, so the recommended action is - if you have an account there, go change your password.

You may have to be patient, apparently there is a lot of password changing activity on LinkedIn's servers so response may be slow.

I marked this "Important!", because a lot of folks who have several web accounts use the same password for multiple accounts. In this case, if your LinkedIn password is among those hacked and you use the same password for say, online banking, well ... let's just say if that's the case, you might want to change it at the banking site first, and go to LinkedIn later.

This has been a public service announcement!

Hi-Yo and Awaaay,

TMM

PS> sorry I don't have a link handy to an article, but I'm sure if you search for "LinkedIn Password Breach" you'll find something on it pretty soon now

Archived