SASS Wire Forum

A General Rant!

Rancho Roy

OK....A few items....

I've been a member for one year......love the sport........absolutely love the folks I've met.........

But what is it about SASS clubs and general directions.........

There is a new thread on here about Doc not being able to find a club to attend a match........He finally decided to leave after an angry neighbor to the range went mental on the other participants because he accidently drove down her driveway.

This past weekend I took place in a three day match. Saturday night had a wonderful dinner at a local Elks club. Nowhere in the associated registration paperwork was the address or directions to the ELKs club listed...........Folks were driving all over tarnation trying to find it.

How come there are advertisements in the Cowboy Chronicle for matches and in most cases they never even say what state the match is being held, nevermind nearly never listing an address...........

Is there some secret deal where match organizers are required to keep this information secret?

Rant Off!

OK....A few items....

Is there some secret deal where match organizers are required to keep this information secret?

Rant Off!

It is all in the secret handshake thingie. :blush:

BTW, the recent match I was heavily involved in, we had directions to the banquet facility in the shooters handbook plus the bullitin board at range (next to posse list and scores) plus shooters meeting that day, plus verbally told several pards. Darn near had to hand lead a couple of couples that didn't get it with all the different ways we gave directions to the banquet.

Hmmmm, I don't think we gave Lats & Longs for the folks with GPS. Darn, maybe next MD can add that to the list.

However, your rant has merit. I too wonder where these matches advertised in the Chronicle are. Most list but several assume way to much.

Roy,

A couple of things here. First, the title of the topic would be a good cowboy name: General Rant.

Second, if this is the only thing you have to bitc, uh, complain about after a year of shooting, then congradulations! Because you are obviously not letting the really big things bother you ;).

Take a deep breath and ask for directions. There will always be minor issues to deal with in this life/sport. The trick is to keep them "minor".

Regards.

Roy,

A couple of things here. First, the title of the topic would be a good cowboy name: General Rant.

Second, if this is the only thing you have to bitc, uh, complain about after a year of shooting, then congradulations! Because you are obviously not letting the really big things bother you ;).

Take a deep breath and ask for directions. There will always be minor issues to deal with in this life/sport. The trick is to keep them "minor".

Regards.

My first thought :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Guest Pukin Dog, SASS#55356-Life

OK....A few items....

I've been a member for one year......love the sport........absolutely love the folks I've met.........

There is a new thread on here about Doc not being able to find a club to attend a match........He finally decided to leave after an angry neighbor to the range went mental on the other participants because he accidently drove down her driveway.

This past weekend I took place in a three day match. Saturday night had a wonderful dinner at a local Elks club. Nowhere in the associated registration paperwork was the address or directions to the ELKs club listed...........Folks were driving all over tarnation trying to find it.

How come there are advertisements in the Cowboy Chronicle for matches and in most cases they never even say what state the match is being held, nevermind nearly never listing an address...........

Rant Off!

An excellent point! I don't think it is done on purpose, but rather that the folks planning the event just don't think about it. It would be nice if every club put the lat/long or closest address in their web site.

Amateurs make amateur mistakes. CAS is run by amateurs. Since 'WE" all know where the Elks club is, we don't think about "YOU" not knowing.

Ever asked directions in almost any small town? "You go down by Ray's place, turn left, then a quick right where the big fire was last year..." At which point yer thinking "If I knew where the big fire was I would know where the Elk's club is too, but I DON'T LIVE HERE"....

General Rant..

Would be a good alias.. :)

If..

I'm going to a match that I don't know the particulars on.. or general directions to..

I go to the SASS Events Wire..

They usually have the match posted..

They usually have contact information..

They usually have Email addresses to contact thru..

Back of the Chronicle..

They usually have contact info by who runs the match/club and phone # to contact..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' this ain't a fer sure thing..

Just usually.. :blush:

uh....

I didn't get the decoder ring either.. :blush:

and nobody has ever showed me the secret handshake :blush:

I just do a little investigation..

OK....A few items....

Rant Off!

I AGREE.

These are valid complaints. I have exerienced the same issues over the years. Haven't given it much thought in a few years since the only "new" places I've been have been major matches with pretty fair info available.

Instead of jumping on Roy B and assuming that he isn't doing his part, let's try some introspection to see if WE, as match organizers, are making it easy or difficult for people who may not have attended our matches before to find the Range, dinner, awards and any other pertinent locations.

Buena suerte,

eGG

I kinda agree. Better directions, signage and an actual address or near by address would always be a good idea. I like the navi do the work.

Good points!

I once worked with the state highway engineering.

One of the most challenging parts they admitted was the "signing" or how to make signs that direct the drivers. The problem is that the engineers and constructions workers are SO familiar with the road one it is finished that they have a very tough time knowing how to give directions - because they know them so well that it is "intuitively obvious."

As stated above, it is more difficult for local folks to give good directions. And they are often unaware of the need. So they need our help in reminding them. It starts by your politely telling them that you had trouble with their directions. Now that can be pretty tough after you have been frustrated after driving around for who know how long to find the blasted place!! So calm down, think of the specific problems so you can help them out a bit.

If you can, you can also help a lot by investigating the directions to the place and offer suggestions for good directions. I've helped several clubs around the nation by providing them a map to put on their web site.

I'm agreeing with the original poster. Why do so many feel the need to second guess him and act so self righteous? I've been a member of SASS for a long time and have gone to many matches out of state and had trouble finding directions to the match or banquet. One of our local 3 day matches had the wrong address for years and the director never changed it. Great match, poor web site. Unless you have seen the information given by the club that he's talking about, you're guessing

OK....A few items....

Rant Off!

it is really hard to fit all of the information needed

in an add

most add writhers

even have their stuff, proof-redd

if things get missed

it could be due to ruum

or

it could have just been over looked

the mailing address for the application in the add

could be a heads up, as to the state :huh: lol

I'll throw another vote in support of the OP. Just two weeks ago Sour Kraut and I went to shoot with The Cowboys in Norco, CA. Thank God their website had good information about their range. We took what looked like the most direct route but came upon a bad accident involving two school buses. The road was closed so we had to turn around a take a different route. After traveling 10-15 minutes on the new route we came upon a SECOND accident that had that road closed too. Finally we managed to get to the range via a third route. Again, thank God their website had good information.

Now if we could just do something about those drivers. :blink:

FWIW,

The State Highway Department would not allow the club to put up a temporary sign (for the big annual match) in the highway ROW directing shooters/vistors to turn onto a thirdary (such a thing?) road leading to the range.

Tertiary ??

Good points!

I once worked with the state highway engineering.

One of the most challenging parts they admitted was the "signing" or how to make signs that direct the drivers. The problem is that the engineers and constructions workers are SO familiar with the road one it is finished that they have a very tough time knowing how to give directions - because they know them so well that it is "intuitively obvious." [snip]

This is not the only place where overfamiliarity can be a real problem. Try figuring out what the developers of software (even if they do speak American as their first language...which many do NOT) mean when they write the manuals for their creations :wacko: . When the software was written by non-English-speaking as their first language, things can get downright confusing and frustrating!

One possible solution is to have the newest member of the club, one who is NOT from the local region, but has been to the range a number of times, write the directions. There should also be IN LARGE, BOLD PRINT, cautions and warnings not to go past certain points in case a female Darth Vader is lurking around.

Truth be told, women often write better directions. Men as a group use more impressionistic mapping schemes in their heads, where women tend to have step by step directions. Some will even know the proper names of the roads.

I know I am bad for this and have to think hard and make it more "google-like" or I end up with stuff like "ya go over a little rise, and the road bears right, and there is a JD tractor mailbox on the left", successful for me, even on 1000+ mile trips, because I also have the rich visual cues and memories as I go that a newbie won't have.....

FWIW,

The State Highway Department would not allow the club to put up a temporary sign (for the big annual match) in the highway ROW directing shooters/vistors to turn onto a thirdary (such a thing?) road leading to the range.

Whoa! I see them at matches in California. Who'da thunk CA would be so easy going about it. :unsure::rolleyes:

I think you mean tertiary

Regards,

Allie Mo

Guest Texas Jack Black

OK....A few items....

Rant Off!

I would send an E-Mail to the club contact and let them know you had a problem .Most of us locals know where the Elks Club is located . I just looked at the event page and it says Elks club 1 mile from Best Western. Not the best directions, I expect it will be corrected next year if you inform them.

T J B

I'll throw another vote in support of the OP. Just two weeks ago Sour Kraut and I went to shoot with The Cowboys in Norco, CA. Thank God their website had good information about their range. We took what looked like the most direct route but came upon a bad accident involving two school buses. The road was closed so we had to turn around a take a different route. After traveling 10-15 minutes on the new route we came upon a SECOND accident that had that road closed too. Finally we managed to get to the range via a third route. Again, thank God their website had good information.

Now if we could just do something about those drivers. :blink:

Those drivers coulda been cowboys looking at their directions instead of the road. :)

Archived