SASS Wire Forum

EOT

BJT

Howdy Folks,

Been a spell. There's a time when both my kids and my wife were with me at EOT back when it was on the left coast. One kid got tired of the issues. Then the wife got tired of my issues. Finally the last kid quit being a kid and I had to find a life of my own. Before that all happened, the issue of categories was out there. I would point out sarcastically that ladies were the worst filled to shut the issue down. After all, who could be so stupid as to take that seriously. An oversite on my part.

If this is a family sport, women and children should be a priority. If it is not a family sport, quit now. It will hurt too much see it die. This game lives only as long as the women and children are included with the grown children playing the game. Ladies and kids categories are no place to save money.

Cheers,

BJT

Howdy Folks,

Been a spell. There's a time when both my kids and my wife were with me at EOT back when it was on the left coast. One kid got tired of the issues. Then the wife got tired of my issues. Finally the last kid quit being a kid and I had to find a life of my own. Before that all happened, the issue of categories was out there. I would point out sarcastically that ladies were the worst filled to shut the issue down. After all, who could be so stupid as to take that seriously. An oversite on my part.

If this is a family sport, women and children should be a priority. If it is not a family sport, quit now. It will hurt too much see it die. This game lives only as long as the women and children are included with the grown children playing the game. Ladies and kids categories are no place to save money.

Cheers,

BJT

+1

Exactly! Whenever category minimums are enforced it's the women and children that take the hit first. It's not the shooters fault if their category is "underpopulated".

Let's look at the flipside - what if there was a maximum for "overpopulated" categories. Afterall, the more shooters in a category, the more awards given out. Then, imagine the uproar with a letter that stated "Your category is full. If you wish to participate you must move to an underpopulated category."

As a woman shooter, I have lost count of the number of times I've shot against the men in order to remain in my chosen category. Don't get me wrong. I don't mind shooting against the men at all. It's been my choice because I would rather compete this way than change my shooting style.

+1

BJT, we've oft bumped heads, but yur spot on here!

Cheyenne

If there be Two ladies in a catigory,,,,,,,,,,, Ya have a competition !!!!!

Same fer Kids ....

Two or more signed-up for Kids And Ladies Catigories then that catigory should be run ...

Just My take On this issue ...

Jabez Cowboy

Let's look at the flipside - what if there was a maximum for "overpopulated" categories. Afterall, the more shooters in a category, the more awards given out. Then, imagine the uproar with a letter that stated "Your category is full. If you wish to participate you must move to an underpopulated category."

Now that right there sounds like a heckuva idea. Good way to let folks experiment with different categories, too!

In my opinion, if SASS went to the time and trouble to create a category, they should honor all created categories at the World Championships.

If there be Two ladies in a catigory,,,,,,,,,,, Ya have a competition !!!!!

Same fer Kids ....

Two or more signed-up for Kids And Ladies Catigories then that catigory should be run ...

Just My take On this issue ...

Jabez Cowboy

Wouldn't this be the same for men's categories?

I've stayed out of these discussions and avoided comment 'cause I am not attending EOT this year.

The idea that a category is not to be honored at a world championship event is so foreign to me as to be preposterous!!!

In other competitions of national and international proportion, leaving out or refusing to recognize a category or class where even ONE competitor shows up would be considered ludicrous and beneath contempt!!

The person who dedicates them self to a certain discipline and spends the time, effort, and money to compete in a certain category and qualifies or pays to enter a contest should be allowed to compete in that category and if he or she is the only one there, they ARE the world champion whether or not anyone else likes it!!!!!

I'm an old drag racer. I've been involved in national and world championship level competitions and the like before. If my Z Stock Vega wagon is the only car of it's kind at the World Finals, so long as it makes a qualifying pass, and reaches the starting line for the first round of eliminations, I'm the World Champion! I will receive a trophy, a winner's check, and my name will be reported and announced in their national magazine and recorded in the record books.

S.A.S.S. should do no less. They should be ashamed of themselves to even consider anything otherwise.

I have been pondering this for a while. As a person who has not been at this long, I don't know what it was like back in the day... However, I love what we have here today. That said, I don't want it to go away.

In order to make sure that it is here for some time to come, it needs to grow. I was once told, if you aren't growing, you're dieing.

You need young shooters. Youth bring new blood. But truthfully, you need more folks my age to come out. That is the 25-45 crowd.

Some of my peers won't come out because they won't leave their phone or Xbox. Others won't do anything with firearms or the outdoors. Some don't have the money.

But even more won't come out because it takes away the only time they have with their family. I begged my wife when I started that she needed to come out. It was something I thought that she would love. But she kept saying no until she hung around the cowboys at the US Open and the TN state. Even though she was not shooting, these guys and galls went out of their way to make sure that she knew how nice it was that she was there and how much fun she would have if she just stepped up to the firing line. She was especially encouraged by the lady shooters.

Something I am sure we would all like to see more of at the range.

To make it short, she now is shooting. That adds another shooter and keeps me coming back since I now have incentive to do something with her. We also have a son who will start shooting soon.

The last thing we need to do is discourage women shooters and give them a reason to want to not come back.

Something else I thought about...what if this rule was sent down to the state level. What kind of confusion would that bring in. As it stands now, a state champion in a given category could be the fifth place shooter out of five in the category if the first four all placed were from out of state. Do you ensure that the category have at least five shooters from the state in order to have a state champion? I mean, he (or she) needs competition, right, to be recognized as a state champion and all. How many state shoots you been to where there was only one person from that state in the category? Just saying...

+1 on the whole thread... just when I thought maybe they had it what did they do? Swept the entire Women's categories (the hardest ones at least ie the ones that required the most time in SASS to even contemplate shooting and therefore the most dedicated women's category shooters) with a loaded gun. MATCH DQ! I say....

Hipshot already stated in a post in the related thread that they pulled that he "doesn't spend a lot of time on the SASS Wire." But that post had him "all stirred up".

In a series of really dumb decisions this has to be one of the seriously most stoopit :wacko: (and avoidable) errors that has ever come down...well, maybe the age based categories exceed it but at least that one didn't eliminate WOMEN.

Sheeeeshh...'scuse me, but for me at least more women wearing guns dramatically improves the landscape everywhere I've ever shot....

just sayin'.

King, you are so right, I'm not for sure exactly why they did this. But I was told that unless they had 5 or more ladies it wasn't a competition. My feeling is that 2 is a competition!!! I don't think Hipshot has a clue what he has done. A good number of ladies got into this to spend time with their family's, and this kicks them out. I have been told that they are not going to EOT now or ever.

I know for me if it wasn't to late to get my money back I would be going somewhere else. :angry::(

I'm thinking the SASS royalty need to spend more time reading some of these posts.

Is there another sport out there where an actual whole wide World Championship title was given to an entry of just one person? Is this fairly common with other sporting events? Just one or two people competiting for the title of World.....champion?

Just asking.

Is there another sport out there where an actual whole wide World Championship title was given to an entry of just one person? Is this fairly common with other sporting events? Just one or two people competiting for the title of World.....champion?

Just asking.

Ali vs Frazier - September 30, 1975. Two people competing for world champion. I quote that one because it was one of the better ones...

Just asking.

Branchwater, you beat me to it!!

Also,...see my previous post in this thread. It is hypothetical only in that the example I mentioned is ficticious. I am sure there are others as well! If you are the one who steps up and does the work, and no one else is willing to challenge you on the field of play, you should be recognised and rewarded.

King, you are so right, I'm not for sure exactly why they did this. But I was told that unless they had 5 or more ladies it wasn't a competition. My feeling is that 2 is a competition!!! I don't think Hipshot has a clue what he has done. A good number of ladies got into this to spend time with their family's, and this kicks them out. I have been told that they are not going to EOT now or ever.

I know for me if it wasn't to late to get my money back I would be going somewhere else. :angry::(

I'm thinking the SASS royalty need to spend more time reading some of these posts.

THE ONLY THING (THEY) WELL UNDERSTAND IS MONEEEEEEEEEEEEY

YOU CAN VOTE WITH YOUR FEET AND OR YOUR CHECK BOOK

I am not going to EOT because of how EOT was ran in the past.If I ever go it well be after they change (and not say they are going to change but,change)

Joe Boy (The Happy Fat Man)

THE ONLY THING (THEY) WELL UNDERSTAND IS MONEEEEEEEEEEEEY

YOU CAN VOTE WITH YOUR FEET AND OR YOUR CHECK BOOK

I am not going to EOT because of how EOT was ran in the past.If I ever go it well be after they change (and not say they are going to change but,change)

There are a lot of folks that only understand MONEEEEEEEEEEY...yet you'll stand beside them and hand out hugs and kisses...so the reality is that you simple don't benefit from any kind of relationship with the WB...so you demonize them.

Cheers!

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Hi BJT,

Thanks for posting.

I was saddened to hear they are not honoring LGF as there were not five entering and they are honoring Grand Dame with less than five. That seems so outrageous.

I hope the PTB realize their error before it hurts our beloved sport.

Sincerely,

Allie Mo :ph34r:

Hi BJT,

Thanks for posting.

I was saddened to hear they are not honoring LGF as there were not five entering and they are honoring Grand Dame with less than five. That seems so outrageous.

I hope the PTB realize their error before it hurts our beloved sport.

Sincerely,

Allie Mo :ph34r:

I definitely agree...5 folks that commit to the trek out to EOT is a fair measure for a competition.

I do think the WB and Misty are listening...and trying to make EOT the best it can be. Doesn't mean that they won't make a mistake or two.

Cheers!

Phantom

There are a lot of folks that only understand MONEEEEEEEEEEY...yet you'll stand beside them and hand out hugs and kisses...so the reality is that you simple don't benefit from any kind of relationship with the WB...so you demonize them.

Cheers!

Phantom

And good am to you .

You have me mixed up with someelse the only one I kiss is my WIFE ......and (DEMONIZE) your words not mine .

YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY NOW

Joe Boy (The HAPPPY Fat Man)

And good am to you .

You have me mixed up with someelse the only one I kiss is my WIFE ......and (DEMONIZE) your words not mine .

YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY NOW

Joe Boy (The HAPPPY Fat Man)

Actually Joe Boy, we all do it to a certain extent...to say otherwise is being rather disengenuous.

Phantom

I do think the WB and Misty are listening...and trying to make EOT the best it can be. Doesn't mean that they won't make a mistake or two.

Big +1 for this. I don't think I've ever seen such resounding agreement about ANYTHING on this here Wahr, and I'd be shocked if Misty and the WB didn't notice as well. Mistakes are made every day, and they become problems when they are not recognized and corrected.

Maybe we should wait and see if this mistake becomes a problem before we start shouting about the death of the sport and renouncing our passion for it.

But do keep shouting about how this is a mistake, because it is. More shouting will hopefully help it to be recognized and corrected.

Bud

I've stayed out of these discussions and avoided comment 'cause I am not attending EOT this year.

The idea that a category is not to be honored at a world championship event is so foreign to me as to be preposterous!!!

In other competitions of national and international proportion, leaving out or refusing to recognize a category or class where even ONE competitor shows up would be considered ludicrous and beneath contempt!!

The person who dedicates them self to a certain discipline and spends the time, effort, and money to compete in a certain category and qualifies or pays to enter a contest should be allowed to compete in that category and if he or she is the only one there, they ARE the world champion whether or not anyone else likes it!!!!!

I'm an old drag racer. I've been involved in national and world championship level competitions and the like before. If my Z Stock Vega wagon is the only car of it's kind at the World Finals, so long as it makes a qualifying pass, and reaches the starting line for the first round of eliminations, I'm the World Champion! I will receive a trophy, a winner's check, and my name will be reported and announced in their national magazine and recorded in the record books.

S.A.S.S. should do no less. They should be ashamed of themselves to even consider anything otherwise.

+1

Actually Joe Boy, we all do it to a certain extent...to say otherwise is being rather disengenuous.

Phantom

when you say we you must mean the mouse you have in your pocket .I have never k--- their a--- and you can all you want too. SASSS was great and it is headed to the dumps.It is the only game in town at this time so I well pay my dues and shoot at matches where the shooters are the VIPs

If you have not heard there are some voting with their feet now for you who are going for what ever the reason vote with your check book

And for you all who do not know what he said I do not eather (disengenous) daaaaaaaaaaa

ps

phantom i get out shot and do not cry like a babby

Ask anyone who shoots with me I enjoy shooting

I definitely agree...5 folks that commit to the trek out to EOT is a fair measure for a competition.

Cheers!

Phantom

I believe it was Will Rogers who said 'When you find yourself in a hole the first thing you ought to to is stop digging....'

Ali vs Frazier - September 30, 1975. Two people competing for world champion. I quote that one because it was one of the better ones...

By golly, you came up with an example of a sport where only two can compete. Can not have more than two in the arena (boxing ring)at a time to compete for a World Championship. However, there was rather an elimination process for the two boxers to go through before they met for the World Championship match. Ali & Frazuer didn't just wake up one day and decide to go for it and no one else in the world cared to try.

Point is. I asked, you gave an example. Hmmmm, table tennis (ping-pong) World Championship would be another example. Only after a lengthly process. Kinda like a Top Gun Shootoff. Only two cowboys end up on the firing line to duke it out. LOL.

Archived