SASS Wire Forum

I walked out...

It had been grinding on me for too long. 30 lawyers, endless meetings, directives from the top, marketing, marketing, marketing....and no concern for quality of the work or life.

And then the small matter of equitable distribution of profits....

I had enough on Friday. I resigned and walked out the door. (Singing Johnny Paycheck's theme song on the way out the door.) And promptly had the best night's sleep I've had in 10 years.

It took me less than 24 hours to join up with 3 friends who have similar practices; they got tired of their 350 lawyer firm, and left a couple of days before I did.

We open for business tomorrow; we're struggling a bit to get all the details lined up, but the extra work will be worth it - we work for ourselves now.

Fingers crossed, huge smile. :D:D

LL

Excellent...... Good luck on your new endeavor.

My wife worked for a 2 man law firm for years. They were good guys. She loved it.

Good luck! :)

Best of luck on you're new venture. There's nothing like working for yourself. I've been in the piano tuning and repair business for 26 yrs. Self employed and loving it!

Rye

YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww!!

Boy, I bet that feels good, Loophole. Best wishes on the new partnership.

Best of luck in your new venture.........say.... Ya couldn't use a broke down ol' cowboy with 15 years equipment sales experience, could ya?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just funnin', Pard! Good luck!!

~EE Taft~

Ummmm....you folks do understand that you're wishing a lawyer good luck, right??? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Many thanks for all the well-wishes. Bama, you're spot on...EXACTLY what I said as I pulled out of the parking lot Friday morning.

And EE...keep looking; it's out there for you, I'm certain.

LL

Yeah, I'm just takin' my time and gettin' all my nails hammered in straight.

.....ya know, your situation reminds me of one of those movies where the lawyer spends the whole time on eggshells around his boss and completely stressed.....then one day says STICK IT! and walks out to start his own firm........

Here's to less stress, more laid back life, better choices, and your own version of casual friday (Tall boots, a pocket watch, and a fine custom hat come to mind).....but most of all, here's to your happiness!

~EE Taft~

Hey, I know a couple of lawyers who are good guys.... some skunks too... but I will add you to the list of good guys.

I wish you luck in your new adventure.

Life is too short to be miserable everyday.

Congratulations . . . :excl::)

I did it . . . in 1982. And wuz nevur sorry . . . :)

Was able to be semi-retired when I wuz 45. Retire from my business entirely at 50. Has bin GREAT . . some ups and downs along the way . . . . but it sure beat working for someone else for wages :)

Ummmm....you folks do understand that you're wishing a lawyer good luck, right??? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Many thanks for all the well-wishes. Bama, you're spot on...EXACTLY what I said as I pulled out of the parking lot Friday morning.

LL

Indeed...but good luck, anyway. :)

SQQ

It takes a lot of courage to strike out on your own and give up the security of a guaranteed paycheck.

Most folks are willing to put up with a lot of corporate BS in exchange for cash. They're rich in money and poor in spirit.

Damned few have the guts to make a move like this.

An admirable and inspirational act Loophole. Congratulations. You'll do just fine.

My 2 nieces are lawyers. One works in the public defenders for the county and the other works for the prosecutor's office in the juvenile division. Both of them are honest, hard working girls and neither makes a whole lot of money. There are some good lawyers.

Rye

My daughter passed the bar in NH, ME, and MA. As soon as she passed the bar, the firm she was working for had her do one closing and laid her off. She worked for one or two firms and decided she didn't like the office politics. Now she does free lance title work as a well-educated paralegal.

...best wishes to you Counselor! ...may I not need your services, but here's to wishing that a lot of others do!!!!

Okb <_<

It had been grinding on me for too long. 30 lawyers, endless meetings, directives from the top, marketing, marketing, marketing....and no concern for quality of the work or life.

And then the small matter of equitable distribution of profits....

I had enough on Friday. I resigned and walked out the door. (Singing Johnny Paycheck's theme song on the way out the door.) And promptly had the best night's sleep I've had in 10 years.

It took me less than 24 hours to join up with 3 friends who have similar practices; they got tired of their 350 lawyer firm, and left a couple of days before I did.

We open for business tomorrow; we're struggling a bit to get all the details lined up, but the extra work will be worth it - we work for ourselves now.

Fingers crossed, huge smile. :D:D

LL

I recall a story by one of my favorite authors, the late Robert Heinlein. He related the tale of a civil servant who was employed to polish the cannon in front of a courthouse. It was a cushy job, given as a political favor. The polisher got disgruntled over some imagined slight, so he quit, used his savings to buy his own cannon, and went into business for himself. I'm sure your circumstances are different, though. Best of success to you and your pards.

LL

3 1/2 years ago, I left my old firm and "hung my own shingle." As I tell my old boss (who I still speak with regularly), "I like my new boss a lot more than my old boss." :)

I spent most of my adult life as an Army officer before going back to law school in my late 30's. I wasn't exactly the "normal" 1st year attorney when I got on with "the big firm." After a short time, I began to cultivate my own clients -- something that most "new" lawyers have no idea how to do. After 6+ years, I had plenty of clients (and work). Still, I was required to run all over the country taking depositions (asbestos litigation) for the partners. My last year, I flew over 100 times on Continental Airlines. I was missing my kids growing up and hated the travel schedule. Plus, the $$$'s I brought to the firm was "their" $$$'s -- I got nothing in return for bringing it in. Therefore, when the firm announced that "revenues are down" (asbestos litigation was dying out) and "we're not interested in bringing in any new partners for the next 2-4 years," I saw my chance to make the break.

I have never been happier! I set my own schedule, take my own cases, plan my own day(s), and typically wear jeans and boots to work (hey! I'm the officer manager here! :lol: ). Further, I feel that the cases I decide to take (or not ;) ) make "a difference." It is a bit nerve wrenching sometimes, but I don't think I'd ever consider going back. Enjoy! In a short time, you'll look back and decide that you made a great decision.

Chick

Hey Loophole,

I am so happy for you.

I know some other Cowboy shooters who are lawyers. All are fine gentlemen like you.

Regards,

Allie Mo

So many nice thoughts from so many folks - and I sincerely thank you all.

But being called a "fine gentleman" by Miss Allie Mo...I'm just floatin' on air... :wub::wub::wub::wub:

You are all very kind, and I won't forget it.

LL

Hey, I know a couple of lawyers who are good guys.... some skunks too... but I will add you to the list of good guys.

I wish you luck in your new adventure.

Life is too short to be miserable everyday.

I've known bad lawyers, good lawyers, and great lawyers. ;)

I've known bad lawyers, good lawyers, and great lawyers. ;)

I was fortunate to clerk for a "great lawyer" while in law school. I will always remember his "3 Laws" of practicing law.

1. When it becomes more about "the money" than "the case," you've lost perspective.

2. Take your job seriously, but not personally. It's not about "you," but it is about doing what's best for the client.

3. You always owe the duty to the client to tell them just how cruddy their case is. Obviously, if it's too bad, you should pass on it, but you should always prepare the client for the worst -- because sometimes, the worst happens.

.....and I can count on one hand how many attorneys I call "friend." The rest are "acquaintances." :rolleyes: I guess that's why I hang out with "cowboys." ^_^

Chick

I am looking forward to the day that I can make that transition. Good luck. BTW the most effective advertising our firm ever found was refrigerator magnets on the phone book. It wasn't cheap, but they remain very effective even several years after we stopped doing them in some areas.

Archived