SASS Wire Forum

Trail Boss in 38 Super or 9mm ?

Jack Houston # 35508

I think you'll find that these cartridges require a little more pressure to operate than Trailboss provides HOWEVER, Hodgdon has a formula for determining starting loads with Trailboss by using 70% of the case capacity as a starting load. The formula can be found on their website here;

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

I don't think it will work but...if Trailboss cycles 45ACP (which it do because that's what I load my WB ammo with) it orghta work with 9mm/38 super. ;)

Anybody tried this? Got a load you can PM me?

I've not tried it with these two calibers, and from my experience with them you will need higher pressure/faster burning powders.

I've used Bullseye, AA2 & AA5, and WW231 very successfully for both of those calibers though . . .

Shadow Catcher

I tried Trail Boss in 9mm a couple of years ago, in a Luger, and even a maximum charge of powder would not cycle the action.

As far as .38 Super goes, maybe it's greater capacity would give you enough to make the gun operate, but I'd bet that the perfomance level would be closer to .38 ACP than Super.

Which would be great if you've got an older gun.

Just a guess.

I think you'll find that these cartridges require a little more pressure to operate than Trailboss provides HOWEVER, Hodgdon has a formula for determining starting loads with Trailboss by using 70% of the case capacity as a starting load. The formula can be found on their website here;

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

I don't think it will work but...if Trailboss cycles 45ACP (which it do because that's what I load my WB ammo with) it orghta work with 9mm/38 super. ;)

The .45 acp is a lower psi round.

The 9mm .38 super and .40 S&W are much higher psi, close to .357 mag.

LG

Tell you what...

This gives me an excuse to pick up some .38 Super dies, which I have wanted to do anyway. As soon as I get them, I'll load up some .38 Super and run them through my Colt Commander to see what happens.

And, while I am at it, I'll keep an eye out for an older pistol in .38 ACP, which I have long wanted. This'll take (much) longer to obtain, but once I'll do, and if the TB loads won't cycle the Commander, I'll see if they work in the older gun. (After doing some research to make sure that the pressures are indeed safe for the older round!)

Tell you what...

This gives me an excuse to pick up some .38 Super dies, which I have wanted to do anyway. As soon as I get them, I'll load up some .38 Super and run them through my Colt Commander to see what happens.

And, while I am at it, I'll keep an eye out for an older pistol in .38 ACP, which I have long wanted. This'll take (much) longer to obtain, but once I'll do, and if the TB loads won't cycle the Commander, I'll see if they work in the older gun. (After doing some research to make sure that the pressures are indeed safe for the older round!)

PM me when you get that done! I will really not use TB, most likely 231 but was wondering 'cause I have a BUNCH of TB on hand.

I don't think that there is enough case capacity in 9mm for Trailboss. Even compressed, I think that the charge would be too light to reliably cycle a semi-auto.

Please DO NOT USE TRAIL BOSS IN COMPRESSED LOADS !!! the manufacture of this powder strictly warns against this ...

My main question is WHY ???????????????

Why would you choose this powder for this kind of application ??? this powder is designed for use in large case applications where Folks are down-loading the case but still seeking proper burning where conventional powders are giving eratic burns ...

And those seeking a powder that they can't double-charge with,due to a lack of attention ...

Jabez Cowboy

Please DO NOT USE TRAIL BOSS IN COMPRESSED LOADS !!! the manufacture of this powder strictly warns against this ...

Why would you choose this powder for this kind of application ??? this powder is designed for use in large case applications where Folks are down-loading the case but still seeking proper burning where conventional powders are giving eratic burns ...

And those seeking a powder that they can't double-charge with,due to a lack of attention ...

Jabez Cowboy

Read my last post!

Jabez Cowboy

I certainly wasn't implying that anyone should use compressed loads of Trailboss. I was just stating that there isn't enough room inside a 9mm case to use a powder as fluffy as Trailboss.

I would never compress Trailboss.

I would guess that the reason why people are wondering is because it is such a useful powder for creating lower power/low recoil loads in almost anything.

After I got it to work in .45 ACP, I tried it in 9mm, just out of curiosity. It didn't work.

I'll try it in .38 Super, for the same reason, curiosity. It probably won't work there either.

But for me, the possibility that it might work in .38 ACP is an intriguing one. That is a much lower pressure load that .38 Super, and if I can get TrailBoss to work in it, that's one less powder that I have to buy and keep track of.

Yes, I do have some other powders on hand if I ever need to make "full power" loads in any particular cartridge, but when the bulk of my shooting is at various types of targets, and when many of my guns are old timers that I want to use reduced loads in, then Trail Boss is a very interesting thing to experiment with.

My dad taught me this saying about 50 years ago when he was instructing me in the fine art of reloading !!!

"There's old reloaders and there's bold reloaders ,,,, but,,, there ain't NO old bold reloaders"

Ballistic research and Smithing ,,,, pays fer my shooting .......

And also causes more shootin ta be needed ...

Got's ta like that !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Archived