SASS Wire Forum

What bullet for .32 mag and why

Go West

Momma got a 2nd Ruger single six in .32 mag, so I'll be getting a .32 change over for my Dillon 650. I ordered some Starline brass and need to think about what bullet to get for her. She's been shooting the old model Vaqueros in .38. The company we've used lately has a 100 gr bullet for about $28/500. Any preferences you have? What do you like in a bullet? Do you use one weight most of the time and a heavier one for knockdowns or?

Thanks in advance.

Typical bullet wt between 90-100gr. Some suppliers call it a 90g, others call it a 92gr others call it?? I believe the most common bullet shape in that weight range is a FPRN configuration.

A 32-20 bullet will also work. Typically they are in the 115g range and more of a SWC shape.

Either way, shoot whatever bullet is most accurate in your revolvers.

Put more power in for KD.

Blastmaster

Hey Go,

Lola shoots 100gr Bear Creek moly coated. They work well as is for knock downs too. You could load them up a bit if you're worried. We use Vectan powder, we used to use Titegroup.

Both work real well, I can share more with you tomorrow.

Wily

Use this bullet, they are legal (lead is showing above the case mouth), do not load them soft, some spotters have problems with not seeing the target move, especially while wearing heavy ear protection.

This bullet seats deeper and doesn't allow a lot of air space which helps accuracy.

http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=dardas&Category_Code=32WC

Those 32 single sixes are very nice little guns. I bet your wife will love them. My wife usually shoots 100 grain bullets in hers. They shoot point-of-aim so that's what we selected. For smokeless, knockdown loads she uses Federal 95 grain target loads. In her revolvers they chronographed below 1,000 fps and knockdown targets effectively. One Grand Dame shooter from Colorado says she uses 115 grain bullets in her 32s. They work well for her.

My wife, Paniolo Annie, shoots a pair of Ruger Single Six 32s and I reload for her on a Dillon 650. She found the Laser Cast 78 grain bullets were the most accurate, but spotters kept giving her misses others claimed she hit. She's been using Desperado's 96 grain bullets for some time now. Desperado bullets are a softer alloy and make a much more obvious clank and she has fewer complaints about uncooperative spotters.

She has found that Laser Cast's 115 grain 32-20 bullet works real well on knockdowns. I load those a bit on the hot side in 32 S&W Long casses. In fact, I load all her ammo in 32 S&W Long cases.

Should anyone ever challenge my wife's loads, I load them to a PF of 70. She shoots 100 g Colorado Cast Bullets in 32 S&W long brass and Bullseye powder giving the rounds 700 fps. For knock downs we have 118 g bullets with two different powder levels giving 800 and almost 1000 fps(the max for that load in a S&W L round), the 1000 fps rounds kick a lot more than wife likes. I have trouble loading the 118 g bullets as they are pretty soft lead and I have to bell the brass lip more than I want. The heavier bullets will shoot higher so shoot them on paper and compensate accordingly when shooting. If you want I can PM you the Bullseye loads if you ever consider using Bullseye.

Go West

I've been using Desperado Cowboy Bullets 96 gr bullets for several years.

Never met a knockdown it didn't take down, if I do my part of course.

I use Starline .32 H&R mag brass, Federal Mag. primers and VV N320 powder.

PM or e-mail me if you want the powder charge. Aim Me will like this load.

Marshal Stone

Ms. Mary Matilda shoots Ruger Single Sixes in .32 H&R Magnum. I reload using a RNFP 115 grain bullet.

When she shot with that heathen smokeless powder I reloaded to a minimum load of TrailBoss. She has always got a loud report from the targets, knockdowns have never been a problem, and using them in her Marlin has never had a problem loading them.

She shoots Ladies Frontier Cartridge and still using the same bullets - with a full load of 777, and she gets great smoke!!!

(meeting the minimum for smoke - at least equivalent to a baseline load of 15 grains by volume of course)

Go West,

I shoot 32 H&R Mag cases from Starline. I have shot 32 SW Long and maybe should have stayed with that case; just did not like to clean the carbon rings out of the cylinders.

I get my bullets from San Juan (aka Paul Miller) Colorado ??? Bullets.

I use 3 different bullet weights depending on the match and the targets - 78, 95, 115. You may think that is crazy but I shot with Peppershot for years and she liked the 78 grains. All of my loads make power factor. It really depends on the knockdown targets as to which bullets I shoot. For EOT I will shoot 95 grains throughout the match except for the heavier knockdowns (shotgun plates) when I shoot the 115 grain bullets.

For my everyday matches I shoot Bullseye in 78 grain bulllets.

For the larger matches I shoot Vitavourhi N320 in 95 grain bullets. N320 is close to double the cost of Bullseye, but it has a much better felt recoil for one-handed shooting. N320 is great in 32 SWL, it is different with 32 H&R Mag. N320 likes pressure for a clean burn and to make powerfactor. It works best in the 32 SW Long. I recess all of the bullets to get the proper power factor when using N320 in 32 H&R Mag cases. Have tried VV N310 and do not like the recoil - might as well shoot Clays.

I have chronographed loads using Clays, American Select, Bullseye, and N320. I have used data from Pecos Clyde and from Vitavourhi, but have Chronographed all my loads. Long Hunter did work for VV and created some charts for them which I started from.

Send me a message if you want my data.

Consensus appears to be a bullet weight around 100 gr. Powder charges for this caliber seem really small, I wonder if my Dillon can throw consistent charges at these low weights. The good news is I have time to get things sorted out and a lot of folks I respect have personal experience they can share. Since we sometimes get bad spotters, I like to hit the targets with authority to reduce the phantom misses.

Consensus appears to be a bullet weight around 100 gr. Powder charges for this caliber seem really small, I wonder if my Dillon can throw consistent charges at these low weights. The good news is I have time to get things sorted out and a lot of folks I respect have personal experience they can share. Since we sometimes get bad spotters, I like to hit the targets with authority to reduce the phantom misses.

I started using the Dillon Extra Small powder bar on my 650. Started using it for 32s and now also use it for 38s. Throws to correct tenth of a grain every single time using Bullseye and that is about the smallest volume you will ever use. As I said earlier I load our 32s so they produce 700 fps (with 100 g bullet), which it turns out is almost the exact same load I use in our 38s, 105 g at 700 fps in pistols. Both ring the targets as well as any other load.

I have been shooting 32's for about 10 years....... and use .....

100 or 115 gr lead.....vendor of your choice.....

32 Mag case instead of 32 S&W (cuts down on leading from chamber to throat jump in pistol)

Trailboss ( visually fills case more - meters fine in my Lee 1000)

nice crimp into crimp ring......

"Always" takes down knock downs.......

I actually upped my powder charge a bit since I started shooting "Duelist"........gives me a little more roll in my hand & feedback response for cocking and rhythm....

And have fun......I have shot a lot of CAS pistols and found the 32 Ruger ((to Me)) is the best handling, smoothest transitioning, easiest and most natural pointing pistol so far..........this may not be the case for someone with large hands tho.....

Regards...........Wolf

Archived