SASS Wire Forum

Need ideas for Mulberries

Tom Muley

Are they ripe yet, Tom?

Moved to the "new" scatter last summer, and was mildly dismayed a couple weeks ago to discover the HUGE tree in the backyard is plum loaded with 'em - thought it was a "fruitless" mulberry.

I seem to recall Half-Breed Pete's "former" using 'em in homemade ice cream... that was almost 30 years ago, but I do remember it being right tasty! :)

You can do anything with mulberries you do with virtually any other berry, and they dry and freeze well. Lemon or lime juice enhances their flavor, since they don't have the acidity of other fruits. They also spoil fast, so use or freeze them within two days.

Mulberry pie

Ingredients:

3 cups mulberries

1 1/4 cups white sugar

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

2 Tbs. butter

1Tbs. milk

Directions:

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

2.In a large bowl, mix berries with sugar and flour. Place mixture into bottom pie crust. Dot with butter and then cover with top pie crust. Crimp edges, cut slits in upper crust, and brush with milk. Let pie rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.

3.Bake pie in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Remove pie from oven and let sit on wire rack until cool.

Mulberry Cobbler

1 cup of all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons regular sugar

2 Tablespoon of course sugar (I use the sugar in the raw/turbinado stuff)

1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

1/4 cup cold butter

1 egg (I use a duck egg mmmm!)

1/4 cup of milk

6 cups fresh mulberries from your neighborhood trees

1/8 cup lemon juice

1 Tablespoon of sugar

1 Tablespoon of cornstarch

For filling: in a saucepan combine the berries, lemon juice, sugar (or honey) and cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water. Let stand for 10 minutes. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, keep warm.

For topping: in a medium bowl stir together flour, regular sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. Cut in butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs, set aside.

In a small bowl stir together egg and milk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just to moisten. Transfer filling to a 2 quart baking dish, or large cast iron skillet. Using spoon, drop topping onto small mounds atop filling. Sprinkle course sugar on top.

Bake cobbler in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or till a wooden toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Serve warm.

Okay, so my curiosity piqued, I grabbed a headlamp and moseyed out back...

Ground under the tree is lightly carpeted with dropped berries. Tree's full of 'em... most fairly small, and a very light green - not the purplish berries I remember from my yout'.

Just finger 'em and they drop off into my hand... and VERY sweet! I'm guessing they're ripe - sorta!

Okay - Mulberry Pie this weekend! Thanks, Doc!! :lol:

There are different color berrys not all are purple.

Pies, jelly, jam, juice, and our friends make wine out of it too

My berries are ripe and plump, about 3/4 inch long, white to light purple. The problem is that they fall onto the lawn and we have to vacuum them up. I also have a tree that produces red berries, but heard that unripe berries can be toxic. That Mulberry cobbler sounds good, I'll have do a Dutch oven Mulberry cobbler.

Tom, I was up late last night readin' up on mulberries (thanks a lot! ;) )... seems the sap of the tree is toxic, but not the berries. However, unripe berries supposedly can be hallucinogenic if eaten in huge quantities - but far worse, they'd cause what my old boss referred to as a "geographically limiting condition*" before you'd see spotted hippos in tutus... :rolleyes:

*Stay CLOSE to the porcelain appliance... :mellow:

And yeah, that cobbler might be the ticket... By the way, do you line your DO's with foil or just oil 'em and cook "au naturel~?"

Tom, I was up late last night readin' up on mulberries (thanks a lot! ;) )... seems the sap of the tree is toxic, but not the berries. However, unripe berries supposedly can be hallucinogenic if eaten in huge quantities - but far worse, they'd cause what my old boss referred to as a "geographically limiting condition*" before you'd see spotted hippos in tutus... :rolleyes:

*Stay CLOSE to the porcelain appliance... :mellow:

And yeah, that cobbler might be the ticket... By the way, do you line your DO's with foil or just oil 'em and cook "au naturel~?"

I never use foil in the Dutch, the oldtimers didn't have it, just extra money to spend. A good coating of butter helps with the clean-up. Be sure to do a good clean job afterwards and make sure not to use soap.

I remember as a kid picking them off a neighborhood tree and those that fell on the sidewalk turned it purple. However, in my opinion the very best use of mulberries is mixed with rhubarb in a pie. My mother-in-law (may she rest in peace) had the most kick ass recipe that I have ever tasted. Something about how the mulberries and rhubarb compliment each other. Now living in AZ there aren't mulberry trees around. We've tried other substitutions but nothing compares.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

We live in S/E Nebrasky and the mulberry tress grow wild.

Hell, my pastures are full of them and we turn into firewood and brushpiles. The wood is yellow like Osage Orange.

Most have berries that turn purple, but there are some white ones near the rivers.

The berries look almost exactly like raspberries, but they are completely soft with no grit or pits.

When I was a kid, Mom and Grandma Clement and Grandma Miller would harvest the milberries by throwing a lasso up into the trees and shake down the mullberries (the ripe one only) onto old blankets to pick them up easily. They canned gallons of jelly and it was my favorite. Us kids would put mulberies ino a bowl with milk and eat them like cereal.

Grandpa made wine with them occasionally. But he liked using wild grapes better.

The birds love mulberries too.

Ever see purple bird crap eating into the finish on your car or truck?

You do around these parts!! :angry:

Mustang Gregg

1. Get a good air rifle.

2. Shoot the doves that eat the mulberries (watch carefully for Game Warden)

3. Slit dove breast down both sides of breastbone

4. Insert jalapeno slices in slits

5. Wrap breasts in bacon.

6. Grill

7. Eat!

JHC

Archived