SASS Wire Forum

Triple 7 in .45-70 for H&R Buffalo Classic?

Howdy, all. I use my H&R Buffalo Classic for long range single shot side matches at SASS events. I've been loading FFg APP under 405 grain Laser Cast bullets and it does very well out to 200 yards (haven't had a chance to shoot it at longer ranges yet). Last night, while going through my powder inventory, I ran across a pound of Triple 7 that I forgot I had. I'm thinking about possibly loading some of that for the Buff. Does anyone have any experience loading this powder in .45-70? I'm assuming full case with slight compression?

Thanks in advance, folks!

Charlie ... read up about Triple Seven Notes and Loading Data using FFg and a 405gr bullet. It's a 'hot' powder, so load your BC in accordance with what Hodgdon has to say

http://www.hodgdon.com/tripleseven-granular.html

I called them for a load using a 165gr 30-30 and it was accurate but the recoil about tore my face off. I also loaded for a 500gr bullet in my BC. 600yds: 5 shots - 2.25" x 7.75" in the 7 ring with 3 holes that could be covered by a silver dollar. Two club members witnessed the target - I forgot my camera

Charlie ... read up about Triple Seven Notes and Loading Data using FFg and a 405gr bullet. It's a 'hot' powder, so load your BC in accordance with what Hodgdon has to say

http://www.hodgdon.com/tripleseven-granular.html

I called them for a load using a 165gr 30-30 and it was accurate but the recoil about tore my face off. I also loaded for a 500gr bullet in my BC. 600yds: 5 shots - 2.25" x 7.75" in the 7 ring with 3 holes that could be covered by a silver dollar. Two club members witnessed the target - I forgot my camera

Thanks, DD, thanks, John Boy. So when it says x number of grains, that is by volume rather than weight, right? I have a set of Lyman scoops, I'll check with the chart in the box. I'll have to load up a few and try 'em...

So when it says x number of grains, that is by volume rather than weight, right? I have a set of Lyman scoops, I'll check with the chart in the box. I'll have to load up a few and try 'em...

Yes, by volume, from Hogdon's website

"All charges of Triple Seven or Pyrodex should be measured by VOLUME not weight. A simple, adjustable blackpowder measure is the correct tool for this job. All loads listed in this brochure are measured by VOLUME.

Thanks, DD, thanks, John Boy. So when it says x number of grains, that is by volume rather than weight, right? I have a set of Lyman scoops, I'll check with the chart in the box. I'll have to load up a few and try 'em...

According to Hodgdon's loading notes "Testing has shown that Triple Seven will perform best when the bullet just touches the powder. Allow no airspace between the base of the bullet and the powder." This is your standard. A BP volume measure can help you get close to this standard but "base of the bullet just touching the powder" is your goal. I found a Walters Wad essential to get acceptable accuracy for CAS long range in my H&R Buffalo Classic.

Since we're all clear on the volume/weight thing, here's another tip for ya'

Take an unsized fired case. Run it through the expander die and the bullet should slip freely into the neck. Fill the case bit by bit until the bullet touches the powder and the length is where you want it. Weigh what's in the case and set your measure to throw the same weight. SHAZZAZM!

Or, use a dowel about the same size as the case (a 38 size in a 45 case will work good enuff if that's what you got. Measure the distance from the powder to the case mouth, mark it with a pencil line (thumbnail also works) compare to where the bullet will crimp. When they match...SHAZZAM!!!

Archived