SASS Wire Forum

Uberti vs Ruger

bigguy6907

Howdy

Let's get a couple of things straight.

Rugers are not made any better than the Italian clones,

You ain't serious are ya? I hope ya are kiddin. :lol: :lol:

My main match guns are two "Uberti Cattlemen" both have a little over 75.000 rounds through them ,,, of loads considered rather heavy by most SASS standards .... Total replacement of parts for the pair is ONE bolt/trigger SPRING in the one gun,

that occured at the 65,000 round mark (live fire ,excluding dry-firing)... And a broken ejector rod on the other gun at the 75,000 round mark, both gun are still in perfect tune with 28 oz. trigger pulls that are like breaking a glass rod... Extreemly clean with no overtravel ...

I do own one RNV I sometimes carry it along as a back-up, I have fired it a total of less than 200 rounds ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Enough said ..........

I have been shooting my Uberti "Open-Tops" and C&B guns more and more offten, and like the Cattlemen I enjoy shooting them !!! The Ruger ,,,,,, not so much ........

Jabez Cowboy

View PostDriftwood Johnson, SASS #38283, on 30 May 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

Howdy

Rugers are not made any better than the Italian clones,

If you're gonna quote me, at least get the quote right.

Howdy

Rugers are not made any better than the Italian clones, or real Colts for that matter. They are simply different.

Then read everything I wrote. I explained a lot about the how Rugers are different than colt style single action revolvers.

" Bill Ruger has a far better single action than has ever come out of the Colt factory". Elmer Keith

Quoted from John Taffin's book 'Single Action Sixguns'

Ouch

I would :wub: to own a Colt '73 SAA for the nostalgia, history and the beauty ~ I shot Ivory Jack's Colt's and they were sweet, but if'n ya practice ALOT and compete at the highest level in this game - RUGER - 'cause that's what the top shooters usually use...;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If you're gonna quote me, at least get the quote right.

Then read everything I wrote. I explained a lot about the how Rugers are different than colt style single action revolvers.

I read everything you wrote, even though it took a while. I have been aware of the differences for 50 years. :lol:

Guest Texas Jack Black

I read everything you wrote, even though it took a while. I have been aware of the differences for 50 years. :lol:

Than you should know Driftwood speaks the truth ;)

Rugers are not made any better than the Italian clones, or real Colts for that matter. They are simply different.

" Bill Ruger has a far better single action than has ever come out of the Colt factory". Elmer Keith

Apparently the confusion lies in the word better.

Rugers are NOT better made, I would even offer that they are often not as well made. (comparing finishes, fit, and internal polishing)

Now they are indeed stronger and because of some of Rugers innovations more reliable, but "better" traditionally does not necessarily mean stronger or more reliable.

A GMC pickup is stronger and maybe even more reliable than a Rolls Royce (certainly more reliable if being abused and lots cheaper to repair) - but no one would say a GMC is better made than the Rolls.

Elmer Keith was not an English major and while his qoute is oft repeated, he was inaccurate in his usage of the word "better".

His criteria was wholly strength and the abilty to be abused - so his qoute might more correctly say that "Bill Ruger built a far stronger, and far more durable single action than has ever came out of the Colt factory" But better? Nope.

Right now, I shoot one Colt and one USFA. If you choice is limited merely to Uberti v. Ruger, buy the Ruger. It will still be working when your Uberti is in the shop for the third time.

Apparently the confusion lies in the word better.

Rugers are NOT better made, I would even offer that they are often not as well made. (comparing finishes, fit, and internal polishing)

Now they are indeed stronger and because of some of Rugers innovations more reliable, but "better" traditionally does not necessarily mean stronger or more reliable.

A GMC pickup is stronger and maybe even more reliable than a Rolls Royce (certainly more reliable if being abused and lots cheaper to repair) - but no one would say a GMC is better made than the Rolls.

Elmer Keith was not an English major and while his qoute is oft repeated, he was inaccurate in his usage of the word "better".

His criteria was wholly strength and the abilty to be abused - so his qoute might more correctly say that "Bill Ruger built a far stronger, and far more durable single action than has ever came out of the Colt factory" But better? Nope.

Eye of the beholder I reckon - if it lasts...to me, it's better ;) The Colt IS 'better' if a cosmetic thing or historical thing is important to that individual - which is absolutely fine. Colts are the REAL DEAL when it comes to SA revolvers, no doubt, but as stated in this post and my previous post in regards to this game - the RUGER is king. Elmer Keith got it right...he was no dummy and his word carries authority in the shooting world.

Anyway, I'd rather have the pickup than the Rolls - 'cause it's better for the purpose of it's use for me.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

We are not talking about a work of art or a historical artifact. We are talking about a working tool. A tool is judged not by its looks but by how well it does its job. Elmer Keith was entirely correct. When you are talking about a tool saying "Bill Ruger built a far stronger, and far more durable single action than has ever came out of the Colt factory" is a wordy way of saying Bill Ruger made a better single action revolver. :rolleyes:

Archived