SASS Wire Forum

3-part miniseries Hatfields & McCoys begins tonight

Just finished watching Hatfields and McCoys........riveting, awesome one of the best things I've seen on TV in a long long time. Excellent!

Rye

The Romanian govt. must have made them a very sweet deal to move the production from Hollywood to that far overseas.

Most westerns (okay I know it's not a western) are made in Canada these days.

Musta been one sweet deal indeed. I'll bet Costner's pockets are bulging with Euros.

He may regret it. :unsure:

The Romanian govt. must have made them a very sweet deal to move the production from Hollywood to that far overseas.

Musta been one sweet deal indeed. I'll bet Costner's pockets are bulging with Euros.

Romania uses the Leu - not Euro.

The Leu is expected to be replaced by the Euro in 2015

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Romania..Hmmph! :huh:

Being from Western North Carolina, which is right next door to West Virgina..I have to say the country over there looks pretty similar to home..Kostner is apparently not much into doing films in-country anymore..Open Range was filmed in Canada..I wonder why the film industry is going abroad so much to do movies? :unsure:

Last year there was a bit of an uproar in New Mexico over the State wanting to raise taxes on movies filmed there..Wild Hogs was done in Madrid, and the remake of True Grit was also done there..The moviemakers responded by saying if they were going to be charged more, they would go somewhere else..

The gov't always has to get greedy and screw things up for everyone else it seems..Having movies being made locally is good for business, tourism, ect..Get greedy and you lose not only the taxes, but the other benefits as well..Don't know if that was the case in this particular film, but I wouldn't be suprised to find out it was..I guarantee the area of WV/Kentucky where it really happened could use the money and tourist draw.

Great job on the film, at any rate..First-rate and very believable acting by Costner and crew..I already knew a few things about the feud, but learned some more..Such as how it actually began..I'll probably buy the DVD when it comes out. B)

I don't know how much this mini-series will reveal, but from what I understand, in real life, Johnse Hatfield didn't have the morals of an alley cat. Got Roseanna McCoy pregnant, then left her to marry her cousin, then had three additional wives, plus a few girlfriends, in addition to being a regular customer at Maisie's House of Pleasure. I guess he felt it was his manly duty to make the ladies happy...kinda like a little bee, going from flower to flower, spreading pollen liberally. Personally, I can see where Roseanna's brothers and daddy might've gotten a little peeved.

Actually, come to think of it...maybe he did have the morals of an alley cat. :D

Run that boy for president!!!

All in all a great mini-series as showed by Utah Bob's survey. For the most part they stayed on point with facts and our favorite, guns. In the third show, where they buried Rhosanna, Johnse was shown visiting the grave and marker. The grass had grown over the grave and turned brown like all the surrounding area. A little mis-step, but it was noticeable. As a whole with out being real picky, they did an extremely good job on the whole story. I, personally would have liked to have seen more or let the show be longer (I guess I'm saying it is better than all the crap on TV nowdays, The Real Housewives of Wherever). I am goin to have to try to find all the credits given for each family member at the end of the show. Some of them they went over way too fast for my old eyes. I did find it interesting that a treaty between the two clans was not signed and adhered to until 2003, that's a lot of bad blood and many a person in the ground.

On another note from the show, that was beautiful herd of horses they were choosing from. I don't know if they were apps or dapples, but sure had some really nice markings. Did anybody see wher the horses were from or who the wrangler was?

Wolfgang,

Did you notice the metal stirrups that were being used? I could not see the saddles, but it would make you think they were McClelland's left over from the war. This was during one of the charges by one of the families upon the other.

Still a great show, we need more like it.

Just had another thought, Did anyone see the shooting match held at the little fair (second episode)? I especially liked the RO/scorer that was down range close to the target so he could make a quick an fair call or change targets if necessary. He had trust in both families hitting the target and not him.

Romania uses the Leu - not Euro.

The Leu is expected to be replaced by the Euro in 2015

Could be there won't be any such thing as the Euro in 2015. :unsure:

Back in the day I used to have some Lei notes and Leu coins issued by the Army.

It's fun to be in a Sneaky Pete unit. :)

All in all a great mini-series as showed by Utah Bob's survey. For the most part they stayed on point with facts and our favorite, guns. In the third show, where they buried Rhosanna, Johnse was shown visiting the grave and marker. The grass had grown over the grave and turned brown like all the surrounding area. A little mis-step, but it was noticeable. As a whole with out being real picky, they did an extremely good job on the whole story. I, personally would have liked to have seen more or let the show be longer (I guess I'm saying it is better than all the crap on TV nowdays, The Real Housewives of Wherever). I am goin to have to try to find all the credits given for each family member at the end of the show. Some of them they went over way too fast for my old eyes. I did find it interesting that a treaty between the two clans was not signed and adhered to until 2003, that's a lot of bad blood and many a person in the ground.

On another note from the show, that was beautiful herd of horses they were choosing from. I don't know if they were apps or dapples, but sure had some really nice markings. Did anybody see wher the horses were from or who the wrangler was?

Wolfgang,

Did you notice the metal stirrups that were being used? I could not see the saddles, but it would make you think they were McClelland's left over from the war. This was during one of the charges by one of the families upon the other.

Still a great show, we need more like it.

My wife, Sassy Sunrise, mentioned that it could have been a series almost like Deadwood. She really liked it....:D

Could be there won't be any such thing as the Euro in 2015. :unsure:

Back in the day I used to have some Lei notes and Leu coins issued by the Army.

It's fun to be in a Sneaky Pete unit. :)

very true UB...the way things are going the Euro could be in trouble.

operating behind enemy lines where we?.....oooops classified :blink: ...don't shoot :D

Shame they didn't film it where it really happened. The area could use the money it would have brought in.

Question?? In the scene where the McCoy girl (Rosanne, spl?) was giving birth the mid wife used something to listen to her stomach. It was a quick scene, what was that, it was not a stethescope, almost looked like a double ended type shot cup.?

Question?? In the scene where the McCoy girl (Rosanne, spl?) was giving birth the mid wife used something to listen to her stomach. It was a quick scene, what was that, it was not a stethescope, almost looked like a double ended type shot cup.?

It was an early version of an obstetric scope (form of stethoscope).

It was an early version of an obstetric scope (form of stethoscope).

Yep, Blue Steel is right. The early stethoscopes were really nothing more than hollow wooden tubes. Not real effective.

Just like the old ear trumpets.

Not sure whether their depiction in the show was accurate, but I found two things pretty interesting.

#1. The entire conflict began over a North/South war issue......the Confederate Uncle killing the Yankee boy

#2. The Christian ended up renouncing his faith and the Atheist was baptized. ;)

BSD

We enjoyed the show! ...went to the history channel and rewatched parts of the 2nd and 3rd offerings to refresh my memory...

...thought the actors did a good job...

...now are we going to develop a list of rifles and revolvers and shotguns used in the movie?

...now are we going to develop a list of rifles and revolvers and shotguns used in the movie?

I expect IMFDB will have them shortly.

Pard of mine is a decendent of the Hatfield clan. He said the series is fairly accurate. Said Anderson Hatfield was a very astute businessman. The movies' portrayal of his initial reluctence to get involved in a clan feud was accurate. It was bad for and disrupted business.

Archived