SASS Wire Forum

3-part miniseries Hatfields & McCoys begins tonight

Please check your local listings. Starts maybe at 9 on te east coast

Not impressed so far. Time will tell.

So far I have liked it. The guns used so far appear to be correct with one exception. When they go to the saloon to talk to wounded Pinkerton, Costner had a new 73/76 pistolgrip checkered deluxe, when they went in it appeared he carried a Sharps. Clothing has been excellent. Little detail was the hand carved clothespin, very impressive. I do not like the wormy lawyer. Not standing by your word, messing with a man's family and a few other things would get you killed quick. The next two shows are to come and I hope they are as good.

Texas Phil, The way I understood the scenario as it was laid out is that the Hatfield Uncle who appears to be the family trouble maker and bad apple is accused of using the dog for his sexual pleasure.

Historically it is dead on as far as Hatfield leaving his Confederate unit towards the end of the war. Though it is not talked about a lot, the desertion rate was so high that the South was not able to muster enough men to have a company at times.

The deaths and lost of limbs was more than any other war. There were more men killed in the three days of Gettysburg than we lost over all the years we were in Vietnam.

It is said in my family, we had my great,great grandfather leave his cavalry unit from South Carolina and go home. The story tells of him having enough of the killing and seeing young boys lose life and limb.

I think it's good enough for me to continue to watch parts two and three and buy the DVD.

The part about the fake timber sale to the McCoy lawyer and the marked pig are historical facts and not made up movie script.

Wuz very watchable. Being into "hysterical coo-rectness" as we make movies here . . . . I'm very sensetive to that stuff. I didn't notice the descrepency of the rifle in the saloon. But did sort of choke when I saw the saddles on the horses. Everything else very historically correct and then saddles on horses that have low cantles and are much nice that would have been owned by farm familys in W.V back shortly after the civil war. The Hatfield home itself is also a bit too "nice". The other homes and cabins look right for the time and the economic situation of those people. But overall . . very watchable and well made. :)

ps. I grew up in the north . . ( Chicago area ) and we move to the Cincinatti area where I went to college. I observed first hand the squabbling, arguing, animosities, and outright hatered, . . . ....that still existed over the Civil War. That wuz in the late '60s . . . and i'm sure that it still goes on today.

It got better. I'll watch episode two. Hope there's considerable more gunplay. :lol:

One note as far as historical accuracy. Hatfield's unit was way to well dressed for late war. Contemporary photos show that very few troops were in grey with kepis by then.

Wuz very watchable. Being into "hysterical coo-rectness" as we make movies here . . . . I'm very sensetive to that stuff. I didn't notice the descrepency of the rifle in the saloon. But did sort of choke when I saw the saddles on the horses. Everything else very historically correct and then saddles on horses that have low cantles and are much nice that would have been owned by farm familys in W.V back shortly after the civil war. The Hatfield home itself is also a bit too "nice". The other homes and cabins look right for the time and the economic situation of those people. But overall . . very watchable and well made. :)

ps. I grew up in the north . . ( Chicago area ) and we move to the Cincinatti area where I went to college. I observed first hand the squabbling, arguing, animosities, and outright hatered, . . . ....that still existed over the Civil War. That wuz in the late '60s . . . and i'm sure that it still goes on today.

I told the wife the exact same thing. That house was way too big and nice for the area, it appeared to have a root cellar, while most others barely had floors. You are right about the saddles, I noticed the low cantles, but also tooling, something a little fancy for a working family there. The saddles looked like roping or pleasure saddles. Watch for the rifle on the re-run tonight.

I guess I never thought or remembered the timber industry being as big as it is shown, I always think of coal, which I guess came much later.

My relatives from N.C. mountains around Cherokee and Clyde cut timber, cooked corn, and raised tobacco. Still lived in shacks and used outhouses into the 60's. Looks to me like the Hatfields were more prosperous than McCoys, thus they had a nicer home and horse rigging. Looks like Devil's sporting a Deluxe Model Winchester in his scabboard.

LL'

I enjoyed it. Historically correct enough to keep my interest and enough Hollywood "tweaking" to keep the general public watching. From what I remember from some previous reading, Anse Hatfield was fairly well-to-do by that area's standards back then.

I enjoyed it. Historically correct enough to keep my interest and enough Hollywood "tweaking" to keep the general public watching. From what I remember from some previous reading, Anse Hatfield was fairly well-to-do by that area's standards back then.

Yup!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_Anse_Hatfield

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I don't know how much this mini-series will reveal, but from what I understand, in real life, Johnse Hatfield didn't have the morals of an alley cat. Got Roseanna McCoy pregnant, then left her to marry her cousin, then had three additional wives, plus a few girlfriends, in addition to being a regular customer at Maisie's House of Pleasure. I guess he felt it was his manly duty to make the ladies happy...kinda like a little bee, going from flower to flower, spreading pollen liberally. Personally, I can see where Roseanna's brothers and daddy might've gotten a little peeved.

Actually, come to think of it...maybe he did have the morals of an alley cat. :D

I'm enjoying the Mini Series. Kind of glad that I don't know too much about the feud, that way I don't look for the flaws. Isn't McCoy's wife the same actress the played Cosner's wife in Wyatt Earp?

CS

I'm enjoying the Mini Series. Kind of glad that I don't know too much about the feud, that way I don't look for the flaws. Isn't McCoy's wife the same actress the played Cosner's wife in Wyatt Earp?

CS

Yes

One thing they did not try to do was make all the women beautiful, not saying they are ugly. Some of them show the hardships of a tough life. The McCoy mother looked mean as hell when she had that double pointed and cocked at her husband when he first came home. Overall I do like all the characters and actors chosen to potray them, been awhile since I saw Berringer in anything as well as Powers Booth.

One thing they did not try to do was make all the women beautiful, not saying they are ugly. Some of them show the hardships of a tough life. The McCoy mother looked mean as hell when she had that double pointed and cocked at her husband when he first came home. Overall I do like all the characters and actors chosen to potray them, been awhile since I saw Berringer in anything as well as Powers Booth.

One of Powers Booth's best roles was that of the notorious cult leader Jim Jones.

CS

Mare Winningam

One of Powers Booth's best roles was that of the notorious cult leader Jim Jones.

Sometimes actors or actresses do a part so well that I find myself dis-liking them because of it (it is like that is how I percieve them to really be) Booth's proytrayal of Jones was one of them, Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction and Jessica Walter in Play Misty for Me is two more.

I'll always remember Boothe as Curly Bill Brocius in Tombstone. "Well....bye" is probably is the most renowned two-word phrase in western films.

That was a great line alright. How many times have you used that line? I've used it quite a bit!

He did a great job in Deadwood too.

Rye

If Mr. Miller were to die his hair black he'd make a perfect Snidely Whiplash. I swear I've seen characters that look and act like him in old 40-50's westerns but I can't nail it. Only thing I can come up with is a young Ward Bond.

Sometimes actors or actresses do a part so well that I find myself dis-liking them because of it (it is like that is how I percieve them to really be) Booth's proytrayal of Jones was one of them, Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction and Jessica Walter in Play Misty for Me is two more.

Remember the hate mail and death threats that Bruce Dern got after he killed John Wayne in The Cowboys? Some came from me! :lol:

BSD

It got better. I'll watch episode two. Hope there's considerable more gunplay. :lol:

One note as far as historical accuracy. Hatfield's unit was way to well dressed for late war. Contemporary photos show that very few troops were in grey with kepis by then.

The scene was supposedly 1863 at the beginning of the movie. So not quite 'late'...more like 'mid'

photo taken around that time

I reckon just hats instead of kepis were beginning to be the norm about then though from artists's renderings during mid-63...

Here is some insight to 'Devil' and the Logan's Wildcats...

http://www.wvencyclo...rg/articles/278

...and McCoy

http://www.wvencyclopedia.org/articles/1622

I just noticed that the Uberti 1873 Wichester Sporter Deluxe in 44 WCF I just acquired is the same one that 'Devil' Anse Hatfield is using. B)

...oh but mine has a leather wrap on the lever :D

Remember the hate mail and death threats that Bruce Dern got after he killed John Wayne in The Cowboys? Some came from me! :lol:

BSD

Another actor I disliked for a long time, killing John Wayne ain't right!

Yellowhouse Sam is right Curly Bill gave us some great lines.

All in all the second night kept me interested, the weapons kept up with the time table and there was a good mix of old and new showing not all could afford the new stuff.

I the interview on Fox...

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=features

though I disagree with Mr. Kostner that the American fabric is 'guns and alcohol' :unsure:

I the interview on Fox...

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=features

though I disagree with Mr. Kostner that the American fabric is 'guns and alcohol' :unsure:

Yeah. It's Guns and Cars. :lol:

Fun series to watch, and the top notch actors have added to the enjoyment. Too bad, however, they had

to film the thing in Romania. Bet some folks in the hills of West Virginia could have used the work instead

of descendants of Vlad The Impaler, AKA: Dracula.

I'm just wondering now if the new movie coming out this Summer: "Abe Lincoln-Vampire Hunter" was filmed

there as well?

T.H. O'Sullivan

Black Mesa Ranch

New Mexico

Fun series to watch, and the top notch actors have added to the enjoyment. Too bad, however, they had

to film the thing in Romania. Bet some folks in the hills of West Virginia could have used the work instead

of descendants of Vlad The Impaler, AKA: Dracula.

I'm just wondering now if the new movie coming out this Summer: "Abe Lincoln-Vampire Hunter" was filmed

there as well?

T.H. O'Sullivan

Black Mesa Ranch

New Mexico

Romania :blink:

Yeah. It's Guns and Cars. :lol:

....and beer!

Archived