SASS Wire Forum

Posse for non-smokers

Oh fer gawds sake...aren't we shooting outside???

What in the hell is going on in this world?????

Oy!

:lol: You took the words right out of my mouth........and I haven't smoked a cigarette in my life.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are correct that you don't need any special permission, except it is illegal to light up some places.......you are right, do what you want but you are also subject to the consequences.

And why is it illegal?? Cause a bunch of whiney butted cry babies got together to get an ordinance in place to trample on the rights of some people cause they are offended by something they do. Namely smoking. We are slowly losing our freedoms cause some group of people wanna whine about what others are doing. Hell, some of the perfume that some ladies wear stinks to high heaven and offends lots of people too. But how many people bellyache about that.

Live and let live. Oops, can't do that, that's a thing of the past.

"....My grandaddy use to keep a mason jar with a pair of socks in it filled with kerosene and when one of us would whine about something as kids he would bring it out and say put these on, they'll keep ants from getting up to your candy arse..."

Man, I love them old timers...

Hello,

If I understand correctly, some of you think that your "right to smoke" and force me to move upwind trumps my "right to breathe fresh air?"

I'm not offended by people smoking, I am not even offended when I am forced to move away from them; what offends me is the argument that they should have more rights than I do and the implication that I am being prissy for thinking they should be courteous about their smoking. :(

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

Hello,

If I understand correctly, some of you think that your "right to smoke" and force me to move upwind trumps my "right to breathe fresh air?"

I'm not offended by people smoking, I am not even offended when I am forced to move away from them; what offends me is the argument that they should have more rights than I do and the implication that I am being prissy for thinking they should be courteous about their smoking. :(

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

Not sure anyone is actually saying smokers should have MORE rights than anyone else...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Then just what are folks saying ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Calling Folk "Prissy", Intolerant,implying wanting to be able to breath as somehow UN-COWBOY .....

Raising The PC crap ...

Just wondering ..................................

Jabez Cowboy

Then just what are folks saying ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Calling Folk "Prissy", Intolerant,implying wanting to be able to breath as somehow UN-COWBOY .....

Raising The PC crap ...

Just wondering ..................................

Jabez Cowboy

Ask them if what you feel being defined is actually MORE rights for smokers....the name calling aside I am refering to RIGHTS. Canada has those too I beleive...

Another slippery slope. First it's smoking. Then, we'll have to start bathing regularly and washing our socks. Then, we'll have to start wearing underwear.

WTH? NOT THE UNDERWEAR.. ANYTHING BUT THAT! B)

Je, Jo, and Ma.... This wire is getting crazier every day. I tried to make light of this in an earlier post, but it's just getting worse. We seem to have folks on both sides here that just don't know when to shut up let go. Smoking is a dumb thing.... anyone who disputes that is even dumber... but so far, smokers still have the right to smoke in certain areas... which are getting smaller everyday. We have very few smokers in our club, I'm one of them, and as far as I know there has not been any problem or complaints about it. Being courteous and thoughtful of others usually works out,but there are of course always going to be AH on both sides of the issue. Some guy who blows smoke in your face or the person who jumps into a tissy if they even smell a cigarette.

If you want to smoke... and it is allowed at the location, then "smoke em if ya got em", move away from the crowd a bit so as not to invade the non smokers area, police your own Butts, just be polite. Non smokers... if the smoker is doing his/her best, then cut some slack and move away rather than make an issue. GEEZE! This is unbelievable.

Snakebite

Guest Texas Jack Black

This all sounds like a convention of LOONEY LEFTY LIBERALS are you all sure you are Gun owners and believe in freedom and less regulation ?? OH! that's right, look at our growing

rule book.

This all sounds like a convention of LOONEY LEFTY LIBERALS are you all sure you are Gun owners and believe in freedom and less regulation ?? OH! that's right, look at our growing

rule book.

What do you care? - you don't shoot at matches and just get here on the Wire to stir the the pot trying to give SASS a bad rap

Yup, same Texas Jack Black...the one said he was getting back into shooting, who shoots thousands of rounds each month.....:rolleyes: who seems to be all hat but no cattle...

And why is it illegal?? Cause a bunch of whiney butted cry babies got together to get an ordinance in place to trample on the rights of some people cause they are offended by something they do. Namely smoking. We are slowly losing our freedoms cause some group of people wanna whine about what others are doing. Hell, some of the perfume that some ladies wear stinks to high heaven and offends lots of people too. But how many people bellyache about that.

Live and let live. Oops, can't do that, that's a thing of the past.

Take a deep breath and count to ten.......it will be ok.......

Smokers ,,,,,,, try this stop breathing for three miniutes !!!!

SEE PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

NO just be aware of how and who your smoke is affecting others ....

Us folk can't help it if we have problems with our airways constricting and blocking off ,,,, but after you survive your three miniutes we can talk about it .....

For me neither Cigar nor Pipe seems to be a major problem , nor is Black powder smoke ,,,,, but the subs afect me more ....

Jabez Cowboy

SEE PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

Us folk can't help it if we have problems with our airways constricting and blocking off ,,,, but after you survive your three miniutes we can talk about it .....

For me neither Cigar nor Pipe seems to be a major problem , nor is Black powder smoke ,,,,, but the subs afect me more ....

Jabez Cowboy

SEE PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Cowboy, how bout you complaining non smokers just walkin off three miles, then we won't be able to hear ya bellyachin.

If the smell of smoke caused your airways to constrict and block off, sounds like ya have a medical problen that needs attention. Most people with a medical problem or a handicap, as some call it, will learn to live their life not putting themselves in the position to harm themselves. It is not someone elses job to police your activity and cater to your whims and wants. Just stand away from the smoke and live with it.

Oh, then ya couldn't complain. :lol: :lol:

Pard :

I ain't ever complained bout smokers Even when one was TO ing for me a burned 3 holes in my "Wild Rag" by being to close

with the timer and his Cig. blowing smoke over my shoulder with each puff ....

Yes some folks have problems with their feet ,,,, we accomidate them ,,,, Some folk have bad knees and We accomidate them ,,,

But I should "Stay Home and not Shoot because some rude feller might take delight in blowing smoke in my face causing me to have troubles getting air into my lungs !!!

Sorry that's just plain not going to happen !!!

Jabez Cowboy

It's pretty simple:

Smokers, be courteous.

Non-smokers, be real.

+1...this sounds like PC Runamuch!

As sheriff of the Coyote Valley Cowboys, I was asked by one of our members if I would consider having a designated posse for non-smokers. I'm not a smoker myself and am not overly annal about those who do, but I do think it is a valid request. These same shooters I'm sure would also consider black powder shooters a threat to their health. Lets face it, we consider smoke a natural part of cowboy action shooting, but do we know or even care about the health consequences especially for our younger shooters. What does the SASS wire think? Are there SASS clubs out there that have a policy regarding smoke, black powder and/or tobacco?

Thanks, Bad Eye Bobolu

As sheriff of the Coyote Valley Cowboys, I was asked by one of our members if I would consider having a designated posse for non-smokers. I'm not a smoker myself and am not overly annal about those who do, but I do think it is a valid request. These same shooters I'm sure would also consider black powder shooters a threat to their health. Lets face it, we consider smoke a natural part of cowboy action shooting, but do we know or even care about the health consequences especially for our younger shooters. What does the SASS wire think? Are there SASS clubs out there that have a policy regarding smoke, black powder and/or tobacco?

Thanks, Bad Eye Bobolu

I think it would be a comfort. Just like a segrigated cafe, the non smoking section still gets a little toxic haze from accross the way, but not as thick as it is if it's right next to you. Same would go on the range.

When I get the slightest wiff of 2nd, or even 3rd hand smoke, I get a thick white flem in my throught, scatching burning pain as I hack it up, angina, spreading clear to my arms, burning eyes, nausia, headace, shortness of breath, & so on. Symtoms can last for hours.

In 2010, 3rd hand ciggerettes almost killed me & the hospital wasn't cheep.

Black powder Smoke don't seem to bother me much,,,, Pipe smoke the same ,,,, Most cigars no problem outdoors.....

But a good dose of Cigirette smoke is hard on my lungs even outdoors .... So please don't smoke while ROing where the shooter can't escape your smoke ...

Or where the smoke is filling the loading or un-loading table area...

Jabez Cowboy

I think it would be a comfort. Just like a segrigated cafe, the non smoking section still gets a little toxic haze from accross the way, but not as thick as it is if it's right next to you. Same would go on the range.

When I get the slightest wiff of 2nd, or even 3rd hand smoke, I get a thick white flem in my throught, scatching burning pain as I hack it up, angina, spreading clear to my arms, burning eyes, nausia, headace, shortness of breath, & so on. Symtoms can last for hours.

In 2010, 3rd hand ciggerettes almost killed me & the hospital wasn't cheep.

Wow!! "Slightest wiff...." the world is a health threat to you, sorry to say. You are extremely alergic to tobacco. Best you avoid any and all public forum social contact because someone far, far away in a open aired, allowable area to smoke, could have or is smoking.. Which by your testimony, could kill you or hospitalize you from a 3rd hand tobacco smoke.

Notify the terroists; it is now okay to use mustard gas, agent orange, nerve agents, & other forms of chemical warfair, as long as it is outside!

?? and you equate those things with cigarette smoke??....:wacko:

I was curious as to what "3rd hand smoke" was, so I looked it up......here it is.

Mad Dog, it seems that smokers at a shooting match are the least of your problems with tobacco smoke/products. To be honest with you, if my symptoms were as bad as you describe, I wouldn't leave the house without gloves and a respirator. I don't think the "3rd hand smoke" arguement has any bearing in an open air envirionment unless you actually touch a smoker, ashtray or butt bucket. Believe me when I tell you that I'm not posting this to try to make fun of you or belittle you in any way.

Etymology

The term "third-hand smoke" is a neologism coined by a research team from the Dana–Farber/Harvard Cancer Center.[1] The 'third-hand' component of the term is a reference to "second-hand smoke", almost a synonym of the phrase passive smoking. The term "first-hand smoke" refers to what is inhaled into the smoker's own lungs, while "second-hand smoke" is what is exhaled or leaves the smoldering end of the cigarette and enters the atmosphere and can be inhaled by others. Third-hand smoke is the contamination of the surfaces of objects that remains after the second-hand smoke has cleared.[1]

[edit] Potential harm

Although "second-hand smoke" dissipates from a room or confined space after a short period of time, nicotine and other components of the smoke tend to coat a space's surfaces and continue to emit toxins.[1] A 2010 study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences journal found that the residue of the nicotine coating interior car or room surfaces can react with nitrous acid present in the air to create tobacco-specific nitrosamines, carcinogens found in tobacco products. This was demonstrated by spraying a "high but reasonable" level of nitrous acid (about 4-12 times the levels typically found in homes) onto cellulose substrates used to wipe the interior of a vehicle that had been heavily smoked in over time. Similar results were found when cellulose substrates were kept (without wiping) in the same vehicle for three days when smoking occurred. Ensuring ventilation while a cigarette is smoked does not eliminate the deposition of third-hand smoke in an enclosed space, according to the study's authors.[2][3] The study found that eleven carcinogenic compounds could be found in third-hand smoke, including the radioactive element polonium-210.[4] Third-hand smoke is thought to potentially cause the greatest harm to infants and young children, because younger children are more likely to crawl on the floor and eat from their hands without washing them first, ingesting the toxins into their systems.[4] Currently, however, the actual magnitude of risk, if any, remains unknown.[5]

[edit] Public awareness and implications

Third-hand smoke is a relatively newly-discovered concept, and public awareness of it is lower than that of second-hand smoke. While a survey of 1,500 United States residents conducted over the telephone in 2005 found that the vast majority of both smokers and non-smokers recognised the dangers of passive smoking to non-smokers, 65 percent of non-smokers and 43 percent of smokers recognised the potential risks of third-hand smoke.[4]

Several United States courts have recognised the theoretical dangers of third-hand smoke, especially in situations where infants, small children and gestating fetuses are involved.[6] In one case, McCormick v. Moran, heard in the New York City Civil Court in 1999, the defendant refused to refund a security deposit for an apartment on the basis that significant cleaning was required to remove tobacco smoke residue ('third-hand smoke'). The court rejected the plaintiff's argument that the extensive cleaning was not necessary and found that the residue created "an offensive odor and a potential health risk that may arise to others who may use the premises."[7] In another example, the anti-smoking group Action on Smoking and Health demanded that a smoking coworker of a pregnant employee of Lamar University or the employee herself be transferred to another office within the University after two doctors confirmed a diagnosis of tobacco smoke allergy, and advised the employee that the third-hand smoke was putatively causing health problems for her and her unborn baby and that she should not work in the same space as the coworker.[8]

In October 2011, it was reported that Christus St. Frances Cabrini Hospital in Alexandria, Louisiana would ban third hand smoke beginning in July 2012, and that employees whose clothing smelled like smoke would not be allowed to work. The ban was ostensibly enacted because third hand smoke allegedly poses a special danger for the developing brains of infants and small children.[

A variation of this subject came up about a year ago. The majority didn't seem to mind if there was smokers on the posse, but there was a few that were bothered by cigarette/cigar smoke. I suggest that rather than ask people that you don't shoot with (the Wire), to ask the folks you do shoot with. Do it at the shooters meeting where it all of your customers can be privy to the suggestion.

For the record, I'm a smoker. I try to be respectful of non-smokers. If the match is an open air match, I think the segregation of smokers/non-smokers to be completely inane. There is (IMO) far more health risk from the gun smoke, black powder smoke, wind borne dust from the berms/lead impacts than there ever will be with tobacco smoke in an open air scenario. To test this theory, blow your nose after the match. Do you think that all of that black snot is tobacco smoke? It's not, it's the vaporized lead, dirt, dust and all of the other crap that was inhaled during the match.

I firmly believe that in order to accommodate a few, dissention will be created among others.......kind of a damned if you do, damned it you don't situation.

Your mileage may vary, CS

This subject DID come up a year or so ago.

If I remember I was trying to think of something funny to say while you were timing me and smoking. (Cuz you smoke and I don't).

I got a procedural cuz I weren't paying attention to what I was doin'. :blink:

I will NOT fall into that p-Trap again!!!:lol:

Live and let smoke in the Great Outdoors.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Does that go for BP shooters aa well?

Nope not for me, as I have stated Black Powder Smoke is a non issue , as are pipe smokers and most if not all cigars....

Don't know what's different in Cigarette smoke ,,,, but it's deadly ...

Having said that I just move out of the smokers way ,,,,,,,, And I will starting Now, politely ask that anyone timing for me refrain from smoking or hand off to another ...

Jabez Cowboy

,,,,,,,, And I will starting Now, politely ask that anyone timing for me refrain from smoking or hand off to another ...

Jabez Cowboy

And if the timer operator tells ya to go to the back of the line and shoot after him? That way he won't be timing for ya. :lol:

Remember the TO is in charge of the stage, correct?

And if the timer operator tells ya to go to the back of the line and shoot after him? That way he won't be timing for ya. :lol:

That's the true spirit of courtesy and cooperation. <_<

Only time I have seen a smoker issue was at a monthly shoot a few years ago, when a lady came up to shoot. She asked the TO to put out his cigarette. She told him she had a bad breathing/medical issue and his smoke would effect her significantly. He refused to put out the cigarette, so she went straight to the unloading table without shooting, unloaded her guns and she, her husband and son shooting went to their truck and loaded up and went home. It was about half way though the match. To my knowledge they have never shot at that location again. This is an example of a smoker that needs to quit, if he can't put it out to run the timer or to satisfy a customer with a medical condition. What an idiot. What upset me about the whole thing is no one in charge made any attempt to solve the issue so the family could continue shooting, including the match director who was on the posse who just stood there with his mouth open and watched.

Personally I do not mind smokers, as most are usually off to the side when they need a smoke and watch the wind. I quit smoking about 40 years ago, and only the smell of a day old ash tray in a closed room bothers me.

Archived