SASS Wire Forum

Posse for non-smokers

Smokers don't need special rights to light up in public. If ya are in the cafe and the person at the table next to ya lights one up, ya have the right to move if it bothers ya. No different than if the baby at the next table is crying nonstop and throwing a hissy fit. Or maybe someone at the other table passes gas real bad and it offends ya. JUst get up and leave, if ya feel uncomfortable. Don't blame everything on a smoker. Refried bean eaters are worse than smokers anyday. :lol: :lol:

You are correct that you don't need any special permission, except it is illegal to light up some places.......you are right, do what you want but you are also subject to the consequences.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But some folks would rather be confrontational than courteous, and that's on both sides.

Just what the hell do you mean by that, you beady-eyed snake oil pusher? Oh, wait... that's me. Never mind...:blush:

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Buck D. Law:

AGAIN---YOU ARE RIGHT.

Great answer, Pard!

Mustang Gregg

Here's the deal...it's easy to pick on smokers. That's the PC thing to do these days. Smokin's dangerous you say. Don't do it around me! Well, guns are dangerous but you don't mind being around them. Bet you'd raise H*ll if they told you you couldn't shoot cowboy anymore. You like it so it's worth the risk. Your cars and trucks are polluting the air and destroying the ozone on a daily basis and car accidents kill more people than smoking ever did. Stop driving. Nope. Inconvenient and you like it, no...need it. It's worth the risk.

We are losing small freedoms every day and one day soon it may be something that you care about. I've never been a cigarette smoker but do love a good cigar. I always try to be considerate of other people, especially at the range. Not because I want to be PC but because it's the courteous thing to do. But smok'em I do and will continue to. I'll do everything I can within reason not to bother you but if you don't want me on your posse JUST because I smoke my ceegar...well, you have no idea how little I care.

Four Bucks

...I always try to be considerate of other people, especially at the range. Not because I want to be PC but because it's the courteous thing to do. But smok'em I do and will continue to. I'll do everything I can within reason not to bother you ...

Buck,

That's all it takes. At the last WBAS match I attended, there were lots of cigar smokers. Not a one of them bothered me. That one rude guy, mentioned in my earlier post, wasn't there.

It is people like him that create problems.

Sincerely,

Allie

Thank you for posting!

Please let me know where you shoot so I can request to not posse with you. I wouldn't want to subject you with my idea of courtesy.

Oh wait, you don't want us to know who you are.

I've encountered that type of person before and if you are afraid to reveal information about yourself, you are a .... sorry, I can't really say what I think or I might be banned from the Wire.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS What a load of self-centered crap!

Hmmmm :unsure:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I am a smoker. I have not had a cigarette or cigar in 1 year 5 months and 3 weeks. I will always be a smoker. I managed to go over three years between cigarettes on my longest break. I am hoping to beat that this time.

I am not a rabid antismoker like many that think they have quit become. I don't mind being around it.

Smokers should not smoke at the Loading table, unloading table or while RO/TOing both as a matter of courtesy and because they are working and the shooter has no choice but to be there in their presence. Smoking can be a distraction, and a hot ember can cause problems, esp around BP.

Likewise shooters should refrain from smoking in these same places. Police your butts, that is common courtesy. I have an ashtray on my back porch for smokers. If I see their butts in my yard they are politely told to go pick them up, or don't come back.

We should not need rules for people to understand this. We should politely educate those shooters that don't get it.

The lack of civility this thread took is sad.

Original poster asked for an opinion that quickly devolved to name calling and a lamentation on the loss of Civil Liberities in the U.S.

Aren't we all supposed to be better than that?

Smoke or don't smoke, I don't care. Be polite in all things, be aware of what you are doing and behave like your momma and Grandma are standing over your shoulder.

Takes care of alot of things.

my .02

We had a pretty severe drought last year in Texas. We were told by our landowner that there would be no smoking on the range, save for some designated areas with fire buckets. It went over well, and people did understand. We have extended the smoking ban to include any of the buildings on the firing line. 7 of our 10 full time stages are in buildings, and we try to shoot them most of the time. I don't feel that BP smoke is the worry that cigarette/cigar smoke is.

The smoke ain't the problem, it's the sparks and burning embers going down range that'll touch off a grass fire. I've seen it happen on more than one occasion.

But y'all were still allowed to shoot BP?

I know of a couple clubs that have nonsmoking posse's, been like that for years. Some folks tolerate the smoke better than others. Those that can tolerate smoke can shoot on the posse's with smokers if they like, aint no big deal. I'm not a smoker and never have been other than a few cigars years ago. Just aint my thing. Have shot on some posse's with TO's that had to smoke their cigar or pipe while running the timer, not the best policy. Most smokers are courteous enough to move away from the posse during the match.

LL' :FlagAm:

1338305563[/url]' post='2439562']

The smoke ain't the problem, it's the sparks and burning embers going down range that'll touch off a grass fire. I've seen it happen on more than one occasion.

But y'all were still allowed to shoot BP?

NO...!

I am a smoker. I have not had a cigarette or cigar in 1 year 5 months and 3 weeks. I will always be a smoker. I managed to go over three years between cigarettes on my longest break. I am hoping to beat that this time. ....

You can do it... not much longer and the cravings really drop off.

I know of a couple clubs that have nonsmoking posse's, been like that for years. Some folks tolerate the smoke better than others. Those that can tolerate smoke can shoot on the posse's with smokers if they like, aint no big deal. I'm not a smoker and never have been other than a few cigars years ago. Just aint my thing. Have shot on some posse's with TO's that had to smoke their cigar or pipe while running the timer, not the best policy. Most smokers are courteous enough to move away from the posse during the match.

LL' :FlagAm:

Howdy, LL,

I can not imagine smelling anothers pards tobacco smoke in Wonderful Wyomings 40MPH constant and continuous calm breeze.... a problem. :lol:

I estimate a cigerette with those winds fanning the ember lasting a whole ten seconds before it is burned out. :)

Take care and don't spit into the wind.

Blastmaster

In the absence of a sign, (NO SMOKING) what ever happened to: "Do you mind if I smoke?".

Just wondering.

Olen, 22 years smokin', 28 years quit

BUT........Which end of the targets do you start a sweep if you don't Smoke??? Or Do??? :unsure:

Top to bottom because we are a top down country.......

In the absence of a sign, (NO SMOKING) what ever happened to: "Do you mind if I smoke?".

Just wondering.

Olen, 22 years smokin', 28 years quit

Do ya mind if I fart, cough, sneeze, dont wear deodorant, my breath smells bad and i speak. Hell, im offended by some ladies purfume, makes me sick to smell that skunk pee, but I tolerate it and move along. My parents smoked in the car, house and so forth. I didnt have many places to escape it. I myself dont care for smoke, yet iffin its outdoors I couldnt care less if somebody smokes. The air is already toxic from all the exhaust and other chemicals, doubt somebodys smoke gonna make much of a difference. I could see being upset if it were inclosed areas, but outside.

I am a smoker. I have not had a cigarette or cigar in 1 year 5 months and 3 weeks. I will always be a smoker. I managed to go over three years between cigarettes on my longest break. I am hoping to beat that this time.

I am not a rabid antismoker like many that think they have quit become. I don't mind being around it.

Smokers should not smoke at the Loading table, unloading table or while RO/TOing both as a matter of courtesy and because they are working and the shooter has no choice but to be there in their presence. Smoking can be a distraction, and a hot ember can cause problems, esp around BP.

Likewise shooters should refrain from smoking in these same places. Police your butts, that is common courtesy. I have an ashtray on my back porch for smokers. If I see their butts in my yard they are politely told to go pick them up, or don't come back.

We should not need rules for people to understand this. We should politely educate those shooters that don't get it.

Hey J Mark I quit something like 22, 23 years ago still have some issues, as the saying 1 day at a time

Some observations.

There ain't many carcinogens in 3 grains of smokeless powder. Get over it.

BP subs smell funny. They HAVE to cause cancer.

its the paper that has them carsonigens built in. One to keep it lit and one to keep frum setting the couch on fire when you fall asleep. Smoke yer tobaccy in a pipe.

Give me by GOD real BP smoke and lots of it.

I would smoke BP in my pipe ifn it was not fur the explosions.

Getting pretty invasive, ain't it.

Stand upwind if you don't like smoke.

+1 I hate this PC crap too. My grandaddy use to keep a mason jar with a pair of socks in it filled with kerosene and when one of us would whine about something as kids he would bring it out and say put these on, they'll keep ants from getting up to your candy arse. This might be a solution to this problem too.

If that's the way your club wants to operate, then have at it. What two or more consenting cowboys do in the privacy of their own range is none of my business.

If that's the way your club wants to operate, then have at it. What two or more consenting cowboys do in the privacy of their own range is none of my business.

+1

GG ~ :FlagAm:

As sheriff of the Coyote Valley Cowboys, I was asked by one of our members if I would consider having a designated posse for non-smokers. I'm not a smoker myself and am not overly annal about those who do, but I do think it is a valid request. These same shooters I'm sure would also consider black powder shooters a threat to their health. Lets face it, we consider smoke a natural part of cowboy action shooting, but do we know or even care about the health consequences especially for our younger shooters. What does the SASS wire think? Are there SASS clubs out there that have a policy regarding smoke, black powder and/or tobacco?

Thanks, Bad Eye Bobolu

geeeeeese

pruty soon ya wont be able to ?????????????????????????????????

I have never smoked

but shooting black powder, now makes me a smoker??????????//

are ya all nuuts

divide

then

conqure :ph34r:

I have only done one indoor cas shoot (besides wax at eot)

black powder was not allowed in the indoor shoot

aint that enough B)

I don't smoke a lot, but I sure do enjoy a Lucky at the match. I wouldn't want to be the cause of anyone's true discomfort, but I think that it is a bit much to ask for segregated posses. However... there might be something to it... I would rather not shoot with a posse of farters... Ain't nothing worse than "Second Hand Farts" :ph34r::excl:

Snakebite

I don't smoke a lot, but I sure do enjoy a Lucky at the match. I wouldn't want to be the cause of anyone's true discomfort, but I think that it is a bit much to ask for segregated posses. However... there might be something to it... I would rather not shoot with a posse of farters... Ain't nothing worse than "Second Hand Farts" :ph34r::excl:

Snakebite

wow

I think U R on to sum-thin

no second hand farts :lol::lol::lol:

I will shoot BP on that posse "split"

Snakebite

Ever notice how everybody else's "black powder" stinks worse than our own? :D

Ever notice how everybody else's "black powder" stinks worse than our own? :D

NOPE

and I try to hold by breath, for the whole stage

when I shoot

there aint

nuthin like the smell of black powder in the truck on the drive home :lol::lol::lol:

As sheriff of the Coyote Valley Cowboys, I was asked by one of our members if I would consider having a designated posse for non-smokers. I'm not a smoker myself and am not overly annal about those who do, but I do think it is a valid request. These same shooters I'm sure would also consider black powder shooters a threat to their health. Lets face it, we consider smoke a natural part of cowboy action shooting, but do we know or even care about the health consequences especially for our younger shooters. What does the SASS wire think? Are there SASS clubs out there that have a policy regarding smoke, black powder and/or tobacco?

Thanks, Bad Eye Bobolu

Hi again,

I've replied several times with complaints about rudeness. I did not mention the "separate posse" part of the OP.

Although we are outside, as many have posted, smoke does seem to hover or travel, sometimes where it is not appreciated. I would just expect people to be courteous about smoking...

As BP is a big part of our game and, if it causes problems for some people, I would try to accommodate them. First, if there are only a few BP shooters on a posse, the people with smoke issues can move away from where it is traveling. They must make their own accomodation sometimes and we should not hold it against them. Unfortunately, if such person is the only person on a posse where everyone else is shooting BP and smoking, it could be a problem.

Why can't we just be courteous without calling out folks for being, the dreaded, "politically correct." Being PC has nothing to do with the real issue. A dear friend of mine was a long-time smoker and ended up carrying an oxygen tank everywhere. Would you begrudge him for asking to be on a non-smoking or posse with minimal BP shooters or from ignoring posse duties to move away from the smoke?

It may not be feasible to create a non-smoking posse. However, it is entirely feasible to look out for and use courtesy when dealing with our shooters who are sensitive to smoke.

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

Oh fer gawds sake...aren't we shooting outside???

What in the hell is going on in this world?????

Oy!

My sentiments exactly. The day SASS becomes "politically correct" is the day I hang up my gun belt. <_<

In the last dozen or more years, I've seen a huge swing toward smokers being very curteous toward non-smokers by standing down wind, off to the side and the likes. I haven't got a problem with the smokers, other than, perhaps, they don't police their discarded cigerette butts when they are done.

It wouldn't be to hard for Match Directors to possee up all the shootes that 'requested' in writing on their application, to be with other non-smokers who had equally strong feelings against being around smokers and that also requested, in writing, to be on a total non-smoking posse. Groups of people already cherry pick their posse by having each shooter daisy chain their 'request to shoot with' on their application. Non-smokers need to do the same. If there is enough request by non smokers to make up a full possee, then fine, bunch them up. If not, then what? You have a partial posse and to fill in with pards of unknown smoking preference is a turkey shoot. You may end up with a smoker in the mist of all the medical challenged folks and defeat the purpose of a non- smoking posse.

Then answer me this non-smokers who can not handle the tobacco smoke. How do you deal with it when shooting bays are within close approximity of each other and the tobacco smoke from a person on another posse, in another bay drifts over to your sensitive nose?

As has been mentioned, smokers need to be curteous, non-smokers also need to be curteous, both working toward minimizing the unpleasents to each other.

just a thought.

Edit: I can see it now. Smokers huttled together at back of shooting bay, smoking and saying they will joint the posse to work in a few minutes, after they finish their smoke. They say they want to not offend anyone and that is why they are way back there. Ending up doing minimal to no posse work. Likewise, same scenerio for the non-smokers. They stand way back in the shooting bay by their gun carts so they can avoid the tobacco smoke, but once the air is clear, they will join in on the posse work.. but rarely do. Then you have the other folks that have other medical issues that do not allow them to pick up brass or set targets or count or ???? They are off to the sides watching until their turn to shoot. Leaving the RO and three counters to muddle through.

Archived